main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Should Palpatine really be made pure evil?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Dark Ferus, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    That was an interesting scene as I do remember thinking Palpatine might have shown some worry for Anakin on a possibly real emotional level. But I could also read it as Palp showing not fear for Anakin's well being, but fear that his plans for his preferred apprentice doing his heavy lifting was in jeopardy.

Palps probably is better as pure evil so we can focus on the tragedy of Anakin. If Palps had his own story of getting caught up in the darkside, then it would be more a story comparable to the abused becomes the abuser. It would start to create moments where the viewer would know Palp's used and abused Anakin, but we couldn't blame Palpatine because it was created by his own trauma. It lessens Anakin's redemption story.

Sarge and oncafar like this.
  2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I kinda like the Emporer being portrayed as basically "nonredeemable" as he is pretty much the personification of pure Evil in the movies. Yes, someone even as evil as Darth Vader himself could be redeemed, which Obi and Yoda believed impossible, but that was because Anakin still lived deep, deep under the surface. I never read the Palpataine EU novel based on him and Plagueis so I can't really comment on who he was when still young and not completely corrupted but in the movies he's always been portrayed as the darkness lurking in everyday life.

Palps was drenched in evil and was almost addicted to using his hate and anger to keep him strong and powerful. I don't think Palps ever did one selfless, or even remotely kind, act in his life. Alot of posters seem to think he took a liking to Anakin/ Vader but I truly believe it was more so because Vader was of use to him and followed almost every order or assignment that was given to him. When Anakin, he had to groom him and gain favour, and as post-suit Vader, he was still his apprentice. Even injured and lacking his previous strength, skill and speed, he technically should've been able to still defeat the Emporer as it was his destiny. Wouldn't you show a small amount of respect and "fondness" towards someone who could turn and kill you at any moment?

jakobitis89 and oncafar like this.
  3. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    He was all friendly and fatherly towards Anakin because he knew that Anakin really wanted a proper father figure type (Obi-Wan being more of a big brother than a dad to him), not because of any actual liking Palpatine had for Anakin. Anakin was just another tool or chess piece for Palpatine... just like everyone else was.

4. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I'm not questioning how evil Palpatine is, I'm just wondering if the writers should have given him more redeeming traits.
    As for how evil he actually is, I think that while being evil throughout the saga, Palpatine does not consider himself evil in the prequels and would not want to be considered such. Yes, he knows that he is being selfish and his quest for power is more important than anything but to me, he thinks that this way of thinking is the right way of thinking.
    By the originals, he has been in power for many years and has stopped trying to justify his thoughts and actions. He has accepted his place as the villain and enjoys it.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    It may not be that he's the embodiment of evil, but of SELFISHNESS. George has repeatedly said that the difference between the light and dark sides is essentially the difference between selflessness and selfishness, between the individual's focus either on "WE" or on "I".

What is Sheev Palpatine/Darth Sidious, if not focused on the self, on "I"?

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There's no I in Palpatine!

nm

7. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    To me it always seemed that he became darker during the trilogies. He may have been able to have a small amount of compassion during the prequels, e. g. Anakin. But during the original trilogy he wasn't a human being anymore in a psychological sense but an embodiment of the dark side.

SlashMan likes this.
  8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    It's interesting that in addition to Anakin, Dooku is also not completely evil. They have strong motives for embracing the Dark Side. Maul and Palpatine were simply consumed from the start, with the only possible goal being gaining more power and control.

I think there's a reason redemption is constantly shot down in the Saga, and that's simply due to the tempting powers of the Dark Side. Palpatine degraded until he was literally no longer human. I think the prequels may have suggested at points that Palpatine was simply a corrupt politician, but the trilogy makes certain that he's something far more wicked.

Sarge and Darth Caliban like this.