Should people be sterilized against their will?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by CarbonKnight, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I've been thinking about Sterilization the past few days. I can name a few people I'd like to sterilize... for the common good. Roommates, Loud Motorcyclists, Trailer Trash, people who don't believe in Evolution etc.

Now, do you think this is a viable option? I mean, it truly would be for the common good. Evolution, and has reached the point when just about anyone with organs can pass on their genes. The dumbest of the dumb. Criminals. Religious fanatics. Everyone. It needs to be stopped.
  2. Ramius Jedi Knight

star 3
    Have you been taking lessons from the Third Reich?(sp?) They did what you are suggesting. I don't agree with forced serilization.

Edit: I wasn't trying to sound like an A-hole, you probably didn't know that about the Nazis.

2nd Edit: I also think that evolution of our species has come to a halt, because, as you said, someone with a crippling disease can have kids in our society, when normally, they wouldn't.
  3. FlamingSword Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No, I don't think forced steralizaton should ever be an option.

While I agree that in certain situations it would be a nice solution: it's too risky (who steralized who), takes away too many rights of individuals, and has no place in society.

4. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    As much as we sometimes REEEEEALLY think someone should be sterilized (a couple names come to mind immediately), it is without a doubt against everything I believe in, namely individual rights.

As much as some people shouldn't procreate, I believe it is not up to us (the community) to decide that. Comparing it to Nazy Germany is harsh... but true.
  5. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You cant sterilise people simply because you dont like them and their ways.

That leads to a huge slippery slope, at the end of which you will be sterlising all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons....its dead wrong.

The only people that could possibly be sterilised would be those found guilty of being serial rapists. But that would be castration as opposed to vasectomies.
  6. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    No, people should not be sterilized against their will. It's a violation of human rights that can never be taken away.
  7. Ramius Jedi Knight

star 3
    Okay, let's keep the debate going. CarbonKnight, what sort of requirements would someone have to meet in order to be sterilized?
  8. Obi-Zahn Kenobi Chosen One

star 7
    I don't want anyone messing with my snak.

[face_plain]

No... It's inhumane and disgusting.
  9. DarthBeer Jedi Master

star 2
    id like to echo most peoples opinion here so far. allthough we'd reeeeealy like to sterilize some people, it would be an awful violation of human rights, i think
  10. Jedi_Master_Mom Jedi Master

star 2
    In my opinion, deadbeat parents who refuse to work and take care of their children should be sterilized. In my situation, I have an almost 9 year old whose father has worked not even worked 2 years total since he was born. He has another son who is almost 2 years old and still he refuses to take care of his responsibilities. He has been in jail?been found in contempt of court and still refuses to work. He?s child support is only 150.00, so its not like the court is asking to much. Nothing is working and the only way I can think of that he doesn?t bring any other children into this situation is if he was sterilized. I am biased in this type of situation, but I strongly feel that any parent who refuses to take care of their children should be sterilized. Any parent that abuses their children should be sterilized.
  11. Jedi_Xen Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been thinking about Sterilization the past few days. I can name a few people I'd like to sterilize... for the common good. Roommates, Loud Motorcyclists, Trailer Trash, people who don't believe in Evolution etc.

Thats laughable. Roommates, loud motorcyclists, trailer trash (I tend to agree with this one, in another generation no more Springer) but the one that gets me is people who believe in Evolution? What gives you the right to decide your way is superior to their beliefs? Maybe it should be the other way around, people who dont believe in Evolution. With this one comment you made an ass of yourself.

Now, do you think this is a viable option? I mean, it truly would be for the common good. Evolution, and has reached the point when just about anyone with organs can pass on their genes. The dumbest of the dumb. Criminals. Religious fanatics. Everyone. It needs to be stopped.

I only think rapists needed to be castrated not everyone. And define Religious Fanatics? Are you talking about people who strap bombs to themselves and kill innocents, or are you talking about people who talk the talk and go to church every sunday. Once again what gives you the right.

News flash: YOUR VIEWS ARE NOT SUPERIOR TO ANYONE ELSES.
  12. yodafett999 Jedi Master

star 4
    Jedi_Xen is correct. Only MY views are superior to everyone else's :p
  13. Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran Force Ghost

star 3
    The only people that could possibly be sterilised would be those found guilty of being serial rapists. But that would be castration as opposed to vasectomies.

I agree with this, but would also add convicted pedophiles to this list. Anyone who could possibly pose such a danger when released should be chemically castrated, in addition to receiving copious psychological and psychiatric treatment.

Sterilizing folks just because they're not economically viable, have a history of abandonment, or are simply "trashy"? That's ridiculous, and smacks of elitism. It's also a dangerous road to even consider going down.

SDA
  14. DevilsAdvocate Jedi Knight

star 1
    Darth_Dagsy: The only people that could possibly be sterilised would be those found guilty of being serial rapists.

Senator Dzrekpo Amegnran: I agree with this, but would also add convicted pedophiles to this list. Anyone who could possibly pose such a danger when released should be chemically castrated, in addition to receiving copious psychological and psychiatric treatment.

All mentally ill people should be sterilized, even if only in a temporary manner. They are incapable of supporting children and raising them well.

And as Jedi_Master_Mom mentioned, there are men (as well as women) who irresponsibly create children numerous times and refuse to acknowledge their responsibility. There was one man who had fathered 10 children but wouldn't support a single one. People like that should be sterilized, at least until they shape up.

Then there is also the population problem. Can we really blame China, which is severely overcrowded from sterilizing women who already (illegally) have multiple children?
  15. MadMardigan Force Ghost

star 4
    I am 100% opposed to sterilizing people described as "undesirable." Sterilization because you don't agree with their ideology doesn't just smack of elitism but is "ideological" cleansing.

Now I am not opposed to forced sterilization of those who have kids who can't afford them, don't want them and are just plain using the kids to manipulate the system.
  16. Brocktoon Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm all for universal sterilization myself.
  17. CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Say what you want about sterilization taking away people's rights, but, hey we do it to animals all the time don't we? Now, I know what you may be thinking: "Us humans are so much better than animals! Plus, if the cat/dog wants to live under my roof, he's going to have to live by my rules!" What, so the government shouldn't have that kind of control over the people living in their country?

But the one that gets me is people who believe in Evolution? What gives you the right to decide your way is superior to their beliefs? Maybe it should be the other way around, people who dont believe in Evolution. With this one comment you made an ass of yourself.

Anyone stupid enough to not believe in evolution, (which would be fact if not for some crazy 2000 year old book controlling how people think) probably shouldn't be allowed to have kids. Wait, that is, anyone who has looked at Evolution, and all the facts, and still doesn't believe it, should be sterilized.

I only think rapists needed to be castrated not everyone.

When criminals break the law, naturally their rights should be taken away. And if I had it my way, their right to live would be taken away too.

Controversially yours,
    CK

18. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    When criminals break the law, naturally their rights should be taken away. And if I had it my way, their right to live would be taken away too.

Welcome to 1984. That's a very dark and dangerous road indeed.
  19. FlamingSword Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Anyone stupid enough to not believe in evolution, (which would be fact if not for some crazy 2000 year old book controlling how people think) probably shouldn't be allowed to have kids. Wait, that is, anyone who has looked at Evolution, and all the facts, and still doesn't believe it, should be sterilized.

How does the belief or non-belief in evolution define if someone is stupid or not? That's entirely by your definition. Also, even if they are, shall we say, slightly stupid (by your definition) this in no way hinders their usefulness to society nor does it mean that their children will believe what their parents did.

Everyone on this board has ancestors who believed in one form of creation or another. Some of you may even have parents or grandparents who believe(d) in the literal biblical account of creation and that evolution was wrong. Does that mean you should not have been born?

EDIT: I actually know some people both here and in real life who believe in creation. They are in no means stupid but have their own logical reasons for believing what they do. Don't be so quick to judge.
  20. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Anyone stupid enough to not believe in evolution, (which would be fact if not for some crazy 2000 year old book controlling how people think) probably shouldn't be allowed to have kids. Wait, that is, anyone who has looked at Evolution, and all the facts, and still doesn't believe it, should be sterilized

Perhaps you forget that evolution is still a theory, not a proven fact.

21. CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Again, KnightWriter, I say "Evolution would be fact if not for some crazy 2000 year old book controlling how people think"
  22. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Again, KnightWriter, I say "Evolution would be fact if not for some crazy 2000 year old book controlling how people think"

Assuming you are referring to the Bible, it is not 2000 years old at all. Most of the Old Testament is signifcantly older than that. The New Testament was written over a period of about 50-75 years, and did not get put together for several centuries.

That evolution remains only a theory is a matter of science. Scientists still do not agree on the subject of evolution, and it has not been proven through any scientific means. Therefore, it is still a theory.

23. CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling

star 4
    If the Bible didn't exist, evolution would be far less controversial, and likely considered as fact by most people. Of course, there are others who just can't accept the fact that we are related to apes, just like anti-semitics didn't think Jews were human.
  24. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    If the Bible didn't exist, evolution would be far less controversial, and likely considered as fact by most people.

If you take the Bible out of the picture, you still have disagreement among scientists, regardless of any amount of controversy.

At any rate, this is going way off topic. I still fail to see your reasoning for sterilizing people, however. It sounds like something out of 1984.
  25. CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling

star 4
    If you take the Bible out of the picture, you still have disagreement among scientists, regardless of any amount of controversy.

I can't fathom how a scientist, not influenced by the Bible, could not believe in evolution.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.