main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Colum, OH Should Puppet Yoda be replaced?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Darth_William, May 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_William

Darth_William Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 4, 2002
    As some of you know, I consider myself a Star Wars Purist--historically favoring the OT over the SE's...
    But I am so impressed with the Digital Yoda from AOTC that I wonder if Lucas
    should go in and replace the puppet from ESB and ROTJ with this new creation for the "Ultimate" editions.
    I really think it is *that* good, and truly shows up the old Yoda to be the puppet
    that he is. The CGI Yoda is sooo much more expressive! Just look at his face, the detail is astounding.
    A *huge* step in CGI animation, IMO (and Oscar-Worthy in itself). I know this is a rather radical proposal,
    but if it can be done up to the exacting standard of AOTC Yoda, I simply can't think of a reason to NOT to do it...
    other than my strict Purist beliefs that is...:)
    What does everyone here think?

2. Darth_Stevious

Darth_Stevious Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2002
    First of all I can't believe YOU of all people are making this suggestion! I nearly fell off my chair! (OK not really);)
    I have to say that I agree with you. I too was very impressed with CGI Yoda. I know we both went in with some serious reservations about the move away from Muppet Yoda. It was certainly a pleasant suprise.
    I have mixed feelings about replacing the Yoda in the OT with a CGI version. Perhaps Lucas can take a page from Spielburgh's book and just CGI his face like they did ET. I just don't know if I can bear to see the angry Yoda from ESB who is banging on R2 with his stick shouting "Mine! Mine!" replaced with a completely CGI character.

3. Darth_William

Darth_William Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 4, 2002
    Steve- I know! I couldn't believe I was actually proposing a change to the OT either!
    The trick, I think, to what makes CG Yoda work so well is that the animators who worked on him really
    "reigned themselves in", so to speak.
    By not making the character move *too* fluidly (as is my main complaint with most CG in films today, i.e. Spider-Man),
    and in trying to match the somewhat bumpy, lumpy movements of Muppet Yoda from the OT,
    the animators actually ended up making him look *more* real.
    I'm not sure how to explain that, except to say that the less high-tech GC Yoda looks more organic,
    and feels like he physically occupies the space he takes up on the screen.
    I realize that this is a slippery slope I am on (if its o.k. for Muppet Yoda replacement in the OT,
    then where to draw the line as to what is o.k. to replace, and what is not??)
    but I am just so damned impressed with NewYoda!
    Now if only Lucas would replace that damned CG Jabba from the ANH:SE with the original Puppet Jabba from ROTJ.......LOL!

4. DarthFloyd

DarthFloyd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    ok ok, no...sorry, I can't agree with you. While the cgi yoda was awesome, I think that you need the puppet yoda in empire and jedi. Lets put it to this test...if you were a jedi master, of course you would be cgi. But, if you as cgi were forced to spend years of your life(at least 15) on a swampy planet, living in a mudhole, and eating things from the earth, while meanwhile watching your friends from your old order cut down, not to mention feeling them cry out in the force as it happens...I think you would look a little more puppetlike too...I think the puppet represents how old yoda has become in those 20 years, just as someone who has a life changing occurrance can become old in just days. The bumpy movements are just a part of growing old, and besides, I love the little guy. I really am pissed that lucas is taking away a part of us all by forcing us to not get the original editions on dvd, as I think that my children will be cheated out of something that I got to experience over and over again, and the replacement of yoda would royally piss me off. ok, i am done venting now...have a great day..,
    CJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.