Should radio hosts Opie & Anthony have been fired for airing sex at St. Patrick's Cathedral?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Master-Jedi-Smith, Aug 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Now, I'm not going to say it was the brightest thing to do, but, there really are far worse things in this world than what they and the couple involved did/were accused of.

The couple, along with frequent show guest, comedian Paul Mercurio, was arrested on the spot and booked on public lewdness charges.

Now what get me is that two adults were arrested for consentual sex in a church, but priests who molest are free to roam the streets, and the church tries to cover it up.

Where's the logic in that? (Trying not to make this a religious bashing thread, but just comparing the two situations, and trying to point out which is worst. The church made a big stink about this, but certainly not about priests who molest.)

Oh, and if you didn't understand my answer to the topic, it is no. :)

Latre! :D
  2. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, I'll bite. What's the punch-line?
  3. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    ?[face_plain]

No punchline. I would just like to see who thinks they should have been fired, and the couple arrested for their actions in a church, when similar, but more harmful acts have been committed by priests, and no action is taken, or the church tries to cover it up.

Or something like that. :p

4. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, I do think they should have been fired, they encouraged something completely innapropriate on a radio show.
  5. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Even if I agreed to your premise,

Wouldn't that fall under the heading of two wrongs not making a right?
  6. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    And what they did was not as bad as what the Catholic Church has done - but is still wrong. Being fired isn't exactly a brutal punishment, and I think it fit the circumstances.
  7. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    But, what is the worse of the two wrongs? (If that is what you call sex between two adults.)

8. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Your judicial review is somewhat lacking here, don't you think?

9. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I'm not sure if you (Jedi Smith) missed the memo, but the Church has actively dealt with priests accused of molesting children. If this turns into a Catholic bashing thread, this thread will be locked.
  10. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    The second two adults try to engage in sex in a church, and on radio, the whole religious community is in an up roar, but it takes years to first get the truth about priests who molest, and then even longer to get a conviction.

Why hasn't the christian community been as vigilent as they were in this situation? I mean, it even got to people fired. All that happens to a priest is that they get moved to another perish where they are free to molest again.

Where's the outrage, and swift justice there?

11. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    The shock jocks getting canned has nothing to do with the Priests.
  12. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    This is off topic, offensive, illogical, and ought to be closed down.

This was a baited field.
  13. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Let me lay down the law here.

All I've seen so far is posting from you in this thread that all but begs for an outraged response from other members toward the Catholic Church. You've posted biased, anti-Catholic messages so far, making it seem like the Church has done nothing at all in dealing with child molesting priests, which it has. Has it done a good job? No. Is it getting its act together? I like to think so. Regardless of that, I'm not sure what your basis for comparing two people having sex in a church and the Church's problems with priests. Vastly different scales and situations here.

Now, please present some less biased and more compelling thoughts than you have so far.

14. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    As I said before, I'm not trying to bash catholics or christians.

I am trying to figure out why somethings in this world are okay/not handled in a swift manner (as was the whole priest situation), and somethings are quickly taken care of, and condemned by the same people/community who are/were involved with the priest situation.

How long did it take for the couple to be arrested, and the DJ fired?

How long did it take for the whole priest molestation situation to finally get resolved? The pope will barely even touch the matter publicly.

15. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Do you not realize what you're saying?

We're talking about a 100-200 priests at least, and a couple radio people. How quickly do you expect each situation to be resolved?
  16. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I will try to think of something.

But what I don't understand is why one is thought to be baiting/bashing, when one is only trying to compare situations that have occured in similar locations, and those who "look" down on each are quicker to condemn one, which to me is a far less evil thing, and not so in the other.

But hold on, and I'll try to rectify the situation.

17. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    "We're talking about a 100-200 priests at least, and a couple radio people. How quickly do you expect each situation to be resolved?"

And why has it gotten to such a high number?

:::still thinking::: :)

18. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    So, you seem to be suggesting that because The Church has made mistakes it should allow more mistakes?

But this isn't about the Holy See or the Arch Diocese, it's about the FCC and state and city laws and ordinances.
  19. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, let's try it from this angle, shall we?

Why should the two DJs have been fired?

What did they really do wrong?

Had it not been in a church, but in the park, or an elevator, do you think the station would have been pressured to fire them?

20. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    And why has it gotten to such a high number

[face_plain].

That is irrelevant to the subject. So far, this all looks like a thinly veiled attack on the Church and Catholics.

Note to all: Unless something completely against the rules comes up in this thread, I will not be moderating it, and will allow another admin to deal with it.
  21. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    They should be fired for encouraging people to break the law, which is against FCC guidelines, plain and simple.
  22. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    I know the two DJs in question have done other things in the past, and have been fined.

What makes this situation different than others. Why not just a fine?

23. Fingorfin Jedi Master

star 4
    Those people broadcast over the radio their intention to break the law, and the cops were waiting for them. The priests that molested children were not as considerate as that. That is the reason for the differing responses.
    Are you seriously arguing that these people should be free to violate the law, and desecrate something that others hold sacred just because other people have committed what you consider to be worse crimes and gotten away with them?
  24. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    Smith,
    There's a side to this you seem to be overlooking, which is Catholics are particularly outraged precisely because they are so much more vigilant now, and are making a special effort to do what can be done to rectify previous failures of watchfulness in regard to The Church.

25. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    I thought we were trying to get away from talking about the church? [face_plain]

I will not comment on that, per knightwriter's request, in an attempt to stay away from "bashing" it, and "offending" other people's beliefs.

But, as I asked before, do you think that they would have been fired had it not happened in a chruch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.