Should radio hosts Opie & Anthony have been fired for airing sex at St. Patrick's Cathedral?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Master-Jedi-Smith, Aug 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Here we go. :)

"But this is not the first time Anthony and Opie have been taken off the air. A Massachusetts station fired them in 1998, after they falsely reported that the mayor of Boston was dead."

Where do you draw the line on what you can do and can't?

When T.V. first aired, they couldn't show couple in the same bed together. Now look at today's standards. You get to see Dennis Franz's butt in the shower! :eek:

In the over all scheme of life, this was not the worst offense, granted it was against the law, but you be the judge on where it ranks in your world or right and wrong, and I will do the same. :)

Latre! :D
  2. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4

Rebecca, yes they have been in trouble before.
  3. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    look at today's standards. You get to see Dennis Franz's butt in the shower!

You do realize that "today" in that case is actually 1993, I'm sure.

granted it was against the law

And so they paid the price for their breaking the law.
  4. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    In the overall scheme of life their firing was not the worst punishment.
  5. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Rebecca, yes they have been in trouble before.

Then I honestly don't think they would deserve another chance, anyway.

And really, firing isn't that terrible a punishment.
  6. _Darth_Brooks_ Jedi Master

star 4
    "Where do you draw the line on what you can do and can't? "

Moral relativism.

The age of uncommon nonsense.

Or, are we at the point of common nonsense?

Will the last true American out please bring the flag.

The US Constitution--Red, white, black and blue.

Thank you.
  7. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I would have used a more recent example, but I don't want to be banned! :)

As it is, it's radio. Who's to say it even actually happened?

I've heard Howard Stern encourage people to touch each other sexually. Where's the public outrage for that, or does it have to only happen in a church?

Or am I missing the fact that it was in a public place? I thought churches were private property for some reason, and that anyone is welcome to stop in. [face_plain]

What if they were in a church just touching each other, would that have been so bad.

To me, it doesn't seem that it was just the illegal act of sex, but the fact that it took place in a church that brought about all this media coverage.

8. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    To me, it doesn't seem that it was just the illegal act of sex, but the fact that it took place in a church that brought about all this media coverage.

And what's wrong with that, if that's the case?
  9. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Of course, that's the news for you. ;)

10. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
  11. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    What's wrong with that?

As I have said before, I would like to see equal justice, though that is highly unlikely to ever happen in our world.

Because it took place in the church, it turned out the way it did. Had it not, it would have probably just been another funny skit (depending on your sense of humor)on their show.

And at worst, they would have just been fined.

12. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    My comment to your question of "What?" was referring to my post before that. :)

13. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    As I have said before, I would like to see equal justice, though that is highly unlikely to ever happen in our world.

Because it took place in the church, it turned out the way it did. Had it not, it would have probably just been another funny skit (depending on your sense of humor)on their show.

And at worst, they would have just been fined.

I'm afraid you are quite mistaken. I've seen far too much anti-church bias from you to believe you can see this objectively.

14. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    So you and I would have heard all about this had it not taken place in a church, and the two DJs would have been fired, and the cops in NYC don't have more important things to do than track down two individuals having sex, like I said earlier, in a park or an elevator?

Really?

The fact that it involved the church has nothing to do with this at all?

15. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Of course it has something to do with it. It heightened the sense of wrongdoing, because a church is a sacred place for many people. Most people regard sex in a church as sacreligious, particularly when it was done in such a crude manner.
  16. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    "I've seen far too much anti-church bias from you to believe you can see this objectively."

I see just fine. It appears to me that those who are church bias don't see the other side of things.

Why do I get labeled a "church basher?"

Give me another group to "bash" on said topic, and I will.

If the Rainbow Coalition was condemning the DJs, believe me, I would argue against them.

As it is, this took place in a church, and that is the reason why it has gotten to where it is in the media.

17. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    "It heightened the sense of wrongdoing"

Which is why I don't like the punishment.

It shouldn't matter if it was a church or not, but as you have pointed out, it does.

Another example of unequal justice, white collar criminals. Who does the more harm, someone who steals $20 dollars from a 7/11, or someone who embezzles $1 million dollars?

Same offense, but who do you think will get off easier? They shouldn't, but they do.

18. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    As it is, this took place in a church, and that is the reason why it has gotten to where it is in the media

And? Church-related matters are important to a lot of people.
  19. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    I would hope not more than public acts of lewdness, no matter where it took place. :)

20. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    So church and faith should not be more important than public sexual matters?
  21. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    :::Something screwy with my computer:::

Well, what can I say. When one's beliefs/religious affiliation "over rules" the sense of equal justice, something tell me something is not right in our country.

I'm all for laws and following them, but when they favor one group over another, that's when I question the "fairness" of things in this world.

Thanks for "talking"! It's been fun! :D

22. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Well, what can I say. When one's beliefs/religious affiliation "over rules" the sense of equal justice, something tell me something is not right in our country.

I'm all for laws and following them, but when they favor one group over another, that's when I question the "fairness" of things in this world.

You're going to be questioning "fairness" for a very long time, in that case. Many people take their religious beliefs and faith very seriously, and don't appreciate it when someone or some people desecrate it, particularly in such a public manner. If you cannot understand this, I'm sorry. I think the majority of people do or would feel that justice was served just fine in this case.

23. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, to each their own. If you feel justice was done, great. I don't.

It's not like people riot because of such things. :D

24. TOUCHPUMP Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank God they were fired. They were among the worst of the Howard Stern immatators.
    ;)
  25. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I've never heard of them before, but if what you say is true TOUCHPUMP, perhaps it was for the best. :)

:eek:

Did I just type a post without "bashing" church or religion?

What is the world coming to?! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.