Should radio hosts Opie & Anthony have been fired for airing sex at St. Patrick's Cathedral?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Master-Jedi-Smith, Aug 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    The priests did something even worse, and yet, do you hear the public in a rage over that.

Maybe my morals are screwed up, but one is definately worse than the other, yet one gets more public attention, and swifter punishment.

I don't care how much of a brotherhood/sisterhood it is, they should have reported the molestations to the authorities right away.

Latre! :D
  2. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    The priests did something even worse, and yet, do you hear the public in a rage over that

Uh, yes. Were you asleep for the first several months of this year? Maybe you'd like me to direct you to several older threads in the Senate, as well as a few dozen news articles on the subject, all with outraged public reaction.

I don't care how much of a brotherhood/sisterhood it is, they should have reported the molestations to the authorities right away.

Some people do care, but yes, I agree, they should have been reported. However, great care should be taken in the process.

yet one gets more public attention, and swifter punishment.

More public attention? I hadn't heard of this other case at all until now. And it's much easier to take action in that case than it is in the other subject we're discussing.
  3. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Are you living under a rock? The public is in a rage about the abuse of children by priests!
  4. MadMardigan Force Ghost

star 4
    The public is. But the Vatican didn't seem too upset about it. Rather, they were quite content to sweep the whole matter under the rug and not even defrock the guilty priests.
  5. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Master-Jedi-Smith specifically said, The priests did something even worse, and yet, do you hear the public in a rage over that.
  6. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    R191,

You could have fooled me, but then I was fooled by the Catholic Church for 10 years of my life.

7. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    But the Vatican didn't seem too upset about it. Rather, they were quite content to sweep the whole matter under the rug and not even defrock the guilty priests.

There was a difference of perspective and understanding. They didn't necessarily view it in the same way or with the same understanding we do. Now, I don't think that was right, because they should have gotten a clue faster, but don't mistake not understanding with not caring.
  8. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    You could have fooled me, but then I was fooled by the Catholic Church for 10 years of my life.

If you think the public was not in a rage over priests abusing children, you will not find probably one other person here who agrees with you. If I was so inclined, I could easily bring in three dozen news article links that would show evidence to the contrary.
  9. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Um, because this scandel has become so public, the church is now forced to address it. How long has it taken them to do this?

I too agree that you must take things slow, but when they knowingly sent child molesters to other parrishes, I don't care who you are, you should be held just as accountable, and punished. Do you see a call for that?

If you do, let me know.

But, could we please get back to the other discussion, or was there really one.

I hate arguing over this again and again.

Edit: "There was a difference of perspective and understanding. They didn't necessarily view it in the same way or with the same understanding we do. Now, I don't think that was right, because they should have gotten a clue faster, but don't mistake not understanding with not caring."

What's there to understand. They are all intelligent men. They of all people should know what is right and wrong, especially in the eyes of the lord. Do they have some special right to not be properly convicted in a court of law?

I've seen a few, but there are a whole lot of others, as you so kindly pointed out many posts ago. And probably many more that no one knows about.

10. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I too agree that you must take things slow, but when they knowingly sent child molesters to other parrishes, I don't care who you are, you should be held just as accountable, and punished. Do you see a call for that?

Yes, I do. All over the place.

You were the one who brought this up initially. Don't shy away from it now.
  11. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't shy away from the very thing that you asked me to shy away from in the very beginning?

Okay. :)

12. sleazo Jedi Master

star 4
    There was a call for it, people were completely outraged by it.
  13. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    Once again, here we go.

The two DJs, fired for encouraging lewd acts by two consenting adults, who were arrested for said lewd acts.

100-200 (your stats) priests accused or known to molest children, and how many arrested? How many of their superiors who knew what was going on punished them, or were punished themselves by the law?

What seems to be wrong here? Were there boycotts of churches? Were the priests pressured to either get rid of their molesting priests by others, or face funding problems?

Knightwriter's comments on not confusing understanding with caring, goes to show you how one group can rationalize such a terrible thing as child molesting, but are quick to condemn others for similar, all be it less severe, acts.

I have eyes and ears, and I just don't see the church or its followers that upset about it. The fact that it took this long for it to come out should show that.

Edit: Time to go eat! :) Be back in awhile. I know you will all miss me. ;)

14. Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I'm sure many, many Catholic families, especially those with children, are furious about the priests abusing children.
  15. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    What seems to be wrong here? Were there boycotts of churches? Were the priests pressured to either get rid of their molesting priests by others, or face funding problems?

In order: All over the place, yes, and yes.

I have eyes and ears, and I just don't see the church or its followers that upset about it. The fact that it took this long for it to come out should show that.

I'd say your eyes and ears have been with you living under a rock, because the church and its followers have been outraged since the news came to light. It took awhile to come to light, but when it did, people were angry in the extreme.
  16. Yodave27 Jedi Master

star 4
    Living in NY, I can tell you Opie and Anthony are idiots. I thought so before this incident and I'm more sure of it now. They broke a law of th FCC which says that radio hosts are not allowed to encourage their listeners to break the law. Not only did they encourage this by giving points out for each act, they taped them for their own proof.

The thing that set this over the top was the fact that it was in a place many consider sacred. That outraged a lot of people, especially in the large Catholic population of NY. The station weighed it's choices and came to the conclusion that it would more profiable and less damaging to the fiscal situation to let them go. Money was the deciding factor in this, not the Catholic League's outrage. Trust me, there's a ton of stuff that the Catholic League is against that is still allowed.

However, don't cry for them. Opie and Anthony are still owed millions (about 12 each) on their contract.
  17. Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    farraday-

Vaderize given your statement I'll assume you feel christians have a special right to have their objections ignored. After all, it would be inconcievable that urging and facillitating an aciton that not only breaks the law but is a slap in the face to millions of people around the country would generate such a negative feedback.

Fine, but you don't have to listen to them. Tuning in to their program en masse in an effort to help generate rage over content only feeds their advertisers. If you don't like, turn it off.

It has nothing to do with christianity per se, but religious conservatives, both in this country and the world over, tend to be the most vitriolic and indignant when their so-called 'morals' are violated.
    It's as if their ability to practice their religion rests upon nobody else in the country being exposed to something that offends them.

Just about every televangelist I've ever met has offended me at one time or another; Bill Graham's comment about Islam being an "evil" religion was far more inappropriate then two people copulating in a church, yet has he been removed from the air? Would he have been in the light of a massive muslim outcry in this country?? No, and he wasn't, despite many muslim protests. Does that make his comment 'right'?.

If I don't like something, I avoid it. A radio show is not something that is forced on me, I can change the station or turn the damn thing off.

Just because Christians represent a religious majority in the US does not empower people in the name of the religion to decide for everybody else. Opie and Anthony should have been fined, suspended, and then had their airtime slashed, with a drop-off in listeners resulting in their firing-not irate religious objections. What I think many Catholic groups were afraid of was that people would find such a broadcast amusing and not nearly as offensive as they do, a lack of conformity which of course puts their entire universe into jeopardy.

It all comes down to my absolute irritation at someone else deciding what is good for me to listen to. I'm an adult, let me make that decision for myself. And for those of you out there who will argue "what about the children?", you might as well lock up your kids, because unless you are going to ban everything, children will undoubtedly hear about some things. It's the job of parents to educate them about right and wrong and teach them how to exercise good judgement.

End of rant #1

Peace,

V-03
  18. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Well, if there was that much of an outrage over it, don't you think Cardinal Law would be out by now? Or at the least, demoted, I have yet to see his demotion or expulsion. Nor do I see him in handcuffs. Must not be too upset over it. However, being a non-catholic, that's just my blasphemous point of view. Also I believe he should be locked up for covering this whole issue up.

But back to the real topic.

They really shouldn't have been fired, and there shouldn't have been this much coverage over it. Not saying they shouldn't have been punished, but something with this much attention is probably just what they wanted. As I heard before, they're being offered a contract for a larger sum of money.
  19. Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Womberty-

As for your comment about "smaller government" -- keep in mind that the Conservatives want a smaller federal government, but many would like their states and local communities to have the power to impose strict regulations on certain activities

The record of the Bush administration has been highly supportive of increased federal government, hostile to legislative and judicial authority, and a champion of state's rights only when states are in agreement with them.

John Ashcroft has crossed this line more times than I can count.

They might feel that way in theory, but in practice, the republican party hasn't been doing that. And state and local officials are just as capable of violating our rights as the federal government is.

Peace,

V-03

20. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Well, if there was that much of an outrage over it, don't you think Cardinal Law would be out by now? Or at the least, demoted, I have yet to see his demotion or expulsion.

That's because the people do not control the Church's decisions. It has nothing to do with the amount of outrage.
  21. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    That's because the people do not control the Church's decisions. It has nothing to do with the amount of outrage.

Actually I believe it does. See if people stop coming to church, then they'll realize what the problem is. Churches also get donations as well. So in a sense, if the people don't come, and people don't fund them. Don't you think that'd influence their decisions even a little bit?
  22. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Somewhat, but it doesn't change right or wrong in the end. Now, I personally believe Law should be out, and should be brought to trial. But the church's actions are not controlled by the people. It's not a democracy.
  23. Fire_Ice_Death Chosen One

star 7
    Yes, more like cult behavior. IMO. But that is for another thread.
  24. Master-Jedi-Smith Jedi Master

star 4
    FID,

"Well, if there was that much of an outrage over it, don't you think Cardinal Law would be out by now? Or at the least, demoted, I have yet to see his demotion or expulsion. Nor do I see him in handcuffs. Must not be too upset over it."

Exactly! :)

25. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    I don't agree with what's happened in his case at all.

But to say there hasn't been tremendous outrage is ludicrous and mistaken.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.