main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should Rian Johnson still get another trilogy??

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Avnar, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    So... The Last Jedi has divided fans big time! I still don't know if I love it or hate it. I came out of the film feeling very flat :( He got some parts so right and he got a lot of parts sooo wrong - Horribly wrong!

I am very concerned what a SW trilogy with him at the helm would be like. JJ Abrams set up some great ideas that could have been expanded on and RJ ruined them all. I don't think 1 character came out of that film better for it...not one! I wanted to love this film (I'm sure we all did) so this is nothing against RJ who seems like an awesome guy.

Honestly - Would you still like to see a SW trilogy by this guy?? What could he do if unchecked and with a blank canvass?? I shudder to think :oops:The original characters he introduced in this film were also instantly forgettable so it's not just about what he did with existing characters either...

IMO Gareth Edwards and JJ delivered 10 times better!

Thoughts?

Ahsoka Blaster and cut-of-space like this.
  2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Absolutely.

The "logic" presented in the OP of this thread is exactly why he's the perfect person to get his own Star Wars trilogy.

3. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Yes. As Lucas said, TLJ was "beautifully made." And it was. Looked amazing for the most part.

TLJ's biggest flaws were the way it treated some of its characters, but Johnson being given a fresh tubula rasa Star Wars property has a lot of potential.

4. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    I’m not so worried about the story but more the over the top cgi action (eg Canto Bight stampede) that I thought they would be avoiding in this sequel trilogy. If Rian wants to keep that bs up in this new trilogy then god forbid.

guittarjedi likes this.
  5. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    i don't see why he shouldn't. even though i mostly disliked tlj i'm interested in seeing what he does with a 100% clean slate

6. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Nope. I never want to see another RJ movie ever again. I wasn't a fan of his previous work either as I've posted about over the past couple of years. Done with him permanently.

7. HispAnakin

HispAnakin Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 16, 2017
    vapid one-liners, for killing off ACKBAR like that he shouldn't be allowed on near another Star Wars film-EVER. Laura Derns character was all for nothing, that should have been Ackbar performing that maneuver.
    Poe's little comment about Holdo 'is that THE Holdo from *insert space battle that I already forgot about as soon as Poe mentioned it*

it was a pretty film, shot well. just full of characters have no interest in, outside of Kylo he at least was marginally interesting, apparently this is Kylo's arc and Rey is simply a plot device to move his arc forward. Snoke (Sith No One Knew Existed) was a wasted character, I dont mind him getting killed I just felt it was too soon. Snoke interests me, I mean who else can pull off wearing bedazzled GOLD SLIPPERS! **** I wanted him to be some sort of hedonistic bastard that pulls a corded rope and curtains open and a room full of hot sentiens -both male and female are just lying around like that scene from 'Conan the Barbarian '.

yeah no

Johnson just made the one and only Star Wars Saga Film that didn't have a Lightsaber fight in it. For that one simply fact, he should be making a 5th Elem, er Star Wars films again. The Canto Bright arc was incredibly useless and a waste of time. Had Finn simply stayed where he is ALL of the Resistance craft make it down.

Rose is useless, Finn is useless in this besides being a 'Janitor'.. how instead of using his 'janitorial' skills, that was insulting to me...why not simply say 'when I was a StormTrooper X happened and I know my way around'. We met Finn as a Stromtrooper NOT pushing a bucket and cleaning ala Carol Burnett.

Rian had the perfect opportunity to show on screen the contrast between Light/Dark side training.. that would have been sooo good to have a side-by-side of Luke pushing Rey but supporting her and Snoke taunting Kylo and putting him down. It could have shown Rey with one training droid blocking shots then, 3, then 6, then 10 to show how she is getting better... Luke could have tasked Rey with lifting his X-wing out of the water..so much wasted great shots there....

We got 2.5 hours of what seemed like actual 2.5 hours of in movie time as well, did a day even pass during the film since TFA?How Finn and Rose managed to get to canto bright, infiltrate, get arrested, have a chase on giant horse cat things and then make it back in time! WOW Hyperspace travel FTW! - NOT

Mavel level humor, it bothered me in Thor, Thor and Hulk simply aren't 'funny guys' but thats Di$ney's M.O. The opening scene was a bit too much no need to go back and forth for that long, it set a bad precedence. I liked the not-so-try-hard-Humor.. Hux's 'did you think you got him' was brilliant. -Hux I thought was great in this TLA had great individual performances- Kylo, Luke, Leia, Finn, Poe.. just the story and direction of the trilogy failed miserably

Ahsoka Blaster and Blastaar like this.
  8. skybender

skybender Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2017
    I don't care. I won't be seeing his trilogy unless on Netflix or Redbox.

9. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    Well, I enjoyed TLJ much more than I did TFA, so I am definitely on board for more.

10. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

I'd rather see gareth edwards get another shot at some stories. Dude even looks cool as a rebel.

[​IMG]

11. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    err....of course..more than ever. And if can thin out the ranks of dogmatic fans, all the better for it haha.

12. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    Of course.

13. StarWarsIsMyLife

StarWarsIsMyLife Jedi Master star 2

Jul 14, 2004
    The answer is, yes, if he's willing to take more risks.

But if he's just going to play it safe and not expend political capital with Disney, then he needs to step aside.

EDIT: I think changing directors was, retrospectively, a bad move. Every director has his own idea of what he thinks Star Wars should be and the direction the franchise ought to go. But, in today's world, in order to implement your vision, you have to gain the trust of the hand that feeds you. I think Disney didn't want any major changes and Johnson certainly wanted to win his employers over, which is why he didn't try too hard.

The change in directors allowed for a somewhat different film, but a very neutered one, at that.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Obviously. TLJ has been a massive success. No reason whatsoever to get rid of him now.

15. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    So lemme guess, you didn't like the film?

16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Absolutely. As much as I love The Force Awakens, and I'll argue against the facile "It's a rehash of A New Hope" complaint until the end of time, Johnson made Star Wars feel fresh, new, and unsafe for the first time in a while, and within the confines of the Skywalker Saga at that. Imagine what he could do when given a blank slate? Actually, I don't want to imagine it, I want to see it.

17. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    At least that trilogy will be completely his own. There will be no preconceived expectations, and the stakes won't be as high.

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  18. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I'd rather he did two trilogies, but I'll take just the one if I must...

19. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Definitely. TLJ was a great movie. The biggest divide is coming from the reality vs preconceived expectations, a new trilogy wouldn't have that weight on it

20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Without ignoring all the bad things about TLJ there were some great visuals, the way Luke becomes one with the Force sitting on the rock and his body vanishes and the robe blows away in the wind was beautiful and I'd have been thrilled with it had the way to that moment given Luke one last lightsaber duel. But then you have so many things that were just plain silly such as Leia's Supergran moment and Luke milking the sea monster or whatever it was.

With a blank page to start from and no previous character anchors he has a chance to make a whole new chapter in a GFFA.

21. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Considering how brilliant The Last Jedi was, I'm more excited than ever to see Rian's plans.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  22. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013
    This is a rather bizarre argument. Of course Rian should still get his own trilogy!

Regardless of what a very vocal minority of diehard Star Wars fans might think about TLJ right now, the film has been a generally resounding success with the critics and general audiences. Moreover, it's a film that Lucasfilm themselves are very proud of and the internal relationship between Kathleen Kennedy and Rian Johnson is one of the more successful ones seen to date in this era of Lucasfilm.

23. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Yes, yes, yes.

24. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Sure. Why not? There are many more character assassinations he could write.

25. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    Nope. A film this divisive in the fandom should not warrant a whole trilogy, much less another single film. Johnson's done. We all know how quick Kathleen is on the draw.

26. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    Nope. A film this divisive in the fandom should not warrant a whole trilogy, much less another single film. Johnson's done. We all know how quick Kathleen is on the draw.

lookameatbag and rebelknight1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.