main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should Rian Johnson still get another trilogy??

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Avnar, Dec 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Yes, he should. His vision in the Star Wars universe with a blank slate excites the little girl inside me.

2. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    OH HELL NO. Even if you agreed with the bizarre directions he took things the writing was fundamentally flawed at the basic level. Atrociously out of place comedy and weak subplots that had no purpose or payoff. He's a solid and competent director for sure but his writing is a weakness and I wouldn't trust him with an entire trilogy of films.

3. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003

Agree, Rian Johnson's characterization and treatment of Luke will live in infamy :mad:

4. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003

However, I can still support him doing his own brand new trilogy for now.

5. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Punish him in forcing him to do a Jar Jar Binks the Gungan trilogy.

6. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Hell yes! TLJ was amazing and his new trilogy will be too.

7. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Without a doubt. Even though I was lukewarm on TLJ when after the first viewing the second viewing made it click for me and I'd love to see more from him.

Side note: I'm majorly bummed that a lot of the people on this site that felt like I was on the same page with prior to the release of TLJ apparently really hated the movie. I feel like I lost some of my community.:(

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  8. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    What bizarre direction did he (Rian) take, because ultimately this film is a critical success, and is so far at the box office. Obviously there are some fans who do not like it but that does not represent the movie going audience at a whole. I also disagree that the subplots didn't have a payoff, which one's do you consider not paid off specifically? He received the storygroup's blessings; he made an amazing film I'm sorry you don't like this film but just because you or others don't like it doesn't mean he isn't a competent writer.

hermiona52 and KembaSkywalker like this.
  9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    While Lucas saying TLJ was "beautifully made" is a step up on his praise for TFA ("the fans will love it") you'd hardly say he's going overboard on the love... ;)

10. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    I guess we never heard that line from the mouth of Lucas himself, just that said by secretary. But even if its true (i think it is), Lucas is too of a smart guy to be vague. He is right. The movie is beautiful. And thats it. Not less not more, i guess. I think he really meant just that. Kinda doubt he would be fine with almost every choice story group or RJ went with SW story.

Saying that i still wanna see what RJ is able to do with the trilogy of his own, independent movies. May be there he will feel himself more comfortable to do really good job.

Darth Smurf and Rickleo123 like this.
  11. Ben-Solo

Apr 19, 2017
    He lost all this creative control in 2012 when he sold the franchise; I'm glad he's enjoying the films because I am as well. And his opinion with the choices the storygroup no longer matters, he gave that up as well.

12. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I respect George Lucas as the creative mind who gave us Star Wars, but he's not exactly the guy I look for for opinions on movie quality.

13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes he should.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd watch it. But need more info first.

15. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014

I don't know...I've never known George Lucas for gushing. Lucas not only say that the film was "beautifully made", but he also spoke with Johnson after the screening. What I would have given to be a fly on a wall in that moment.

Chained Prometheus likes this.
  16. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    I think a new trilogy with zero head canon issues is where he will shine even more. All of Lucasfilm made up their mind long ago that each member of the big 3 was going to get their movie and pass obviously. Rian just drew last straw and was assigned this one. His talent is undeniable and critics agree. The short list of people who write and direct that I’d be more excited to kick start a new trilogy is tiny.

17. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    No he shouldn't get another trilogy. He should get 2 trilogies!

18. DarthIommi

DarthIommi Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2017
    Absolutely. I would love to see what he is capable of doing with an entirely new region, cast of characters, and perhaps, delving deeper into exploring the force. It's about time we got some totally new stories, set in other parts of the SW Universe, with totally new canon characters. As an old SW grognard, I'm excited about it.

19. Wrenegade

Wrenegade Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2015
    This whole “It’s okay if you liked it but my opinion is objectively correct, I’m sorry.” is completely toxic and a perfect representation of what’s wrong with modern day fandom.

Micro_Chip and civilsecret like this.
  20. Wrenegade

May 8, 2015
    This whole “It’s okay if you liked it but my opinion is objectively correct, I’m sorry.” is completely toxic and a perfect representation of what’s wrong with modern day fandom.

melkor834 likes this.
  21. Wrenegade

May 8, 2015
    Triple post. The servers are a mess.

22. Wrenegade

May 8, 2015
    Triple post. The servers are a mess.

23. FarEasterling

FarEasterling Jedi Master star 1

Aug 18, 2011
    Yes, for sure. Rian Johnson met with Dave Filoni some time ago, and they had a very long conversation. Wild guess - about future trilogy. I immensely respect Dave Filoni for the job he did with the Clone Wars/the Rebels animation series. And I loved The Last Jedi, despite some plot holes and that it undermined everything created before. Their meeting sounds very promising.

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Speaking of RJ's trilogy considering what TLJ has shown us I wouldn't be surprised if his next Star Wars movie takes place after Ep. 9. This new trilogy has shown us that other people in the galaxy not related to the Skywalkers are experiencing a Force awakening. As such RJ could make a new trilogy that doesn't include Rey but DOES include Force sensitive characters. It could be that TLJ is setting up the groundwork for his next trilogy. That said I don't think people should assume that Broom Boy is going to be a main character in the RJ trilogy.

Before TLJ was released people were wondering how he'd make a trilogy without the OT characters or Rey and the gang. The obvious choice was to set it up in the past. Now we see that doesn't have to be the case.

25. FarEasterling

FarEasterling Jedi Master star 1

Aug 18, 2011
    Skywalker bloodline is not over yet. JJA is prone to opinions of others; his major skill is to reroute the old tracks, not lay the new ones. Will see

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.