main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Should same-sex marriage be legal?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Feb 24, 2015.

?

Should same-sex marriage be legal?

1. Yes, same-sex marriage should be legal

94.4%
  2. No, same-sex marriage should not be legal

5.6%
  1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    If a person's religious beliefs forbid gay marriage, then those beliefs only apply to that particular person. The beliefs don't apply to others.

2. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012

As a Christian, I absolutely agree. I think it's crazy to expect from someone to obey rules of a god he/she doesn't believe in.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    You are certainly a rarity among the Christians I've ever had to deal with, then. Most of them absolutely insist that everybody follow their god's rules, or suffer eternal consequences.

4. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Marriage is discrimination against single people.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Unless you equally subscribe to the particular religious views someone is offering, the arguments are pretty much non-sequiturs these days, as they should be.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Where's the "what decade is this, how are we still having this debate" option?

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    People are entitled to their religious beliefs and don't have to like gay marriage. But that's just their personal opinion, and that opinion does not get to be enforced through the law.

Religious views don't entitle people to control other's behavior through the law. Otherwise, I have to see my congressman about all the blasphemy against Jupiter that I've seen these days...

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
  9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
  10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    THERE ARE ONLY EIGHT DIVINES! KILL THE TALOS WORSHIPERS!

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Except objection to equality is absolutely illegitimate.

anakinfansince1983 and EHT like this.
  12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm glad we can rely on Bazinga'd to pop in and decry the tyranny of tolerance.

And it doesn't mean tolerance of bigotry, so don't go to that well.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I note there are two people who voted against, but who lack the integrity to defend their position (and defence of the indefensible is always a spectacle to behold).

SatineNaberrie, Marco1907 - not sure if you were aware that the results were public, but they are. So can you either tell us why you think a two-tiered system of human rights is appropriate; or at least, how it is you have the internet and access to TFN back there in 1871?

I like this, then unliked it, so I could like it again.

halibut likes this.
  14. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I don't really like debating these issues, but I was curious to see the results so I cast a vote.
    I am not really into politics so I probably wouldn't really vote on this in an election. It's already legal in my state anyway.
    I just have my own beliefs and was curious to see the how it compared with the results.

Do I hate gay people and wish ill on them? NO
    Am I going to start a campaign on them? NO
    Am I going to get in their face? NO
    Do I get along with gay people? YES (I have family members that are gay and have lived with one of them. Never did I get in their face about it)

Voting in here was just a curiosity thing for me. Didn't know my vote could be seen.

Thuro and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  15. Flapjack4

Flapjack4 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 6, 2014
    This report is about the first same sex couple to marry in Brighton.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-26783542

I bring it up as I was at the event, as they married on the beautiful premises I work at. It was a great occasion and they are two smashing blokes. Luckily in Brighton, gay marriage and civil ceremonies are now part of the norm.

Sauntaero and halibut like this.
  16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It literally stated that your vote would be publicly visible.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

But your beliefs, if they are reflected in the voting, would tell some human beings they are less equal than others. And to be denied some rights that others have access to for no reason that has any rational validity. So you can say "you have your own", but those beliefs express a desire for a two-tiered society and harms others. Surely you can see this?

18. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Never. I won't allow it.

The bible's been around longer than your civil liberties, I think I'll stick with that, thanks.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    "And the Lord sayeth, Yes, mine own story in the Bible hath contain homoerotic undertones. But whilst the Lord loves a sensual foot massage washing of his men friends, he doth hate a bumming of those friends. Never bum another man, for that way lies wickedness. So sayeth the Lord."

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Legal. Consenting adults should be allowed to marry who they want to marry, straight or gay.

Tolerance is one of the keystones of a liberal democratic society. And gay people simply want to love who they want to love with the benefits available to them as taxpayers that would be available to straight couples.

It's not only right but just.

21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, I suppose you could make the argument that same-sex marriage shouldn't be legal, if you're making the case that no marriage should be legal, in the way we typically define it. That is, not to outlaw marriage, but to completely remove government from the equation, and slowly remove terms that existed to treat women as property.

Not sure I completely buy the argument, but I've had a few folks present it to me in a compelling way. I already dislike using the terms "husband" and "wife", and prefer to refer to my spouse as my partner, as that is by far a more accurate description of our relationship. It's a civil union where we cohabitate a residence, share equally in financial, community, family, and other obligation. Just, we chose to incorporate a religious element to celebrate the start of the formal partnership.

All that said, I highly doubt those voting no in this poll do so for those reasons.

ukijedi, Sauntaero, MrZAP and 2 others like this.
  22. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    "Also no shellfish. I have an allergy. If I can't eat it no one can."

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Quite right; I should have kept quoting from the Book of GOP.

24. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I voted "Yes".....if your religion is against it then you can go ahead and be morally against it but in terms of should it be legal, then religion can't play a part in this decision (in the US anyways....at least that's how it should be). Other than religious reasons, if you are against it the only other reasons I can see for being against it all seem to be pretty biggoted....which, you know, is bad.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

All I can think of is "Brighton".

Sauntaero likes this.