main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should schools start so early?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by solojones, Aug 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm thinking of approaching my local school board and seeing if they will start a Feasability Commitee to look into the possibility of starting schools later, especially secondary schools.

My High School starts at 7:35am, which I think is far too early. Teenagers' bodies are on a different cylce and they can't make themselves go to bed very early. With such an early start time, kids have to get up very early. I get up the latest of anyone I know, and that's still at 6:30am. I know people who get up at 4:30.

This isn't healthy for the kids, and it's certainly not good for learning, IMHO.

What do you think?

-sj loves kevin spacey

2. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I read an article about this in Up Front (a teen news magazine published by the NY Times). I think it's a good idea that makes sense. It wouldn't effect me being homeschooled, but I think it would be a good think for all the teens who go to school. One school district decide not to do it because they'd need new busses. (The ones they had took the kids to high school then got the elementary kids) Sad that they don't have enough money to keep kids less tired and better learners

3. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    if high school starts later, middle school has to start later.

ditto elementary school.

ditto kindegarden.

the school schedule is built around busing, and having the parents accessible. having a comittee take a fresh look at things may be a good idea, but you reasoning about students being on a different 'time cycle' is far to easy to dismiss.

4. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    There's scientific evidence for that, it was in the article I read.

5. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Wait till college. All of my classes start after 10 am.

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    So why don't they just have the elementry kids start earlier? They are usually more chipper in the morning from my experience, and they aren't even taking grades anyway! High school effects your whole life, you career, and I don't think it should be ruined for some people because it started too early for them to think clearly.

-sj loves kevin spacey

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    but you reasoning about students being on a different 'time cycle' is far to easy to dismiss

Not everything is complex. I've heard that reasoning mentioned before in scientific terms, and from what I've read, it is indeed unwise for schools to start early, and not because of busing.

8. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't have to drag myself out of bed until 7:00a.m. Regular schedule during school year:

7:00 Get up, get ready, etc.
    8:05 homeroom, school starts
    2:20 school ends
    3:00 B-Ball Practice
    5:30 B-Ball Practice Ends
    6:00 Work; get dinner on my 30 min. break
    10:00 Off work, start cleaning up
    10:45 - 11:00 leave work, head home
    11:15 homework - i'm a slacker yes but it's tough not to be
    Depending upon how much I slack off get to bed by 1 maybe though it should be closer to 2 or 2:30
    REPEAT (And of course if we have a road game it's even worse, home games are ok though)

So yea it'd be nice to push back the starting time of school (sleep is good, real good), but then my whole after school time would be screwed up. I dunno how to fix it. Just pray for more Fridays and Saturdays. And days off from work rock. And of course when it's not basketball season my schedule clears right up. Then I actually get like 8 hours of sleep a night sometimes. But it is scientificly proven that teenagers find it very difficult to sleep before 11:00p.m.

9. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Elementary could start a bit earlier. I've noticed little kids are perkier in the morning. For example, recently I had to babysit at 7:30 in the morning because the mother went into labor. The kids, 4, and 1 and a half, were so perky at that hour and I felt like I was about to collapse. It's probably cause little kids have a cycle where they are able to fall asleep earlier.

10. Darth Fierce

Darth Fierce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    I'd be curious to see the scientific explanations for the "time cycle."

I have a job where I work 10am to 6pm, and I'm constantly told how lucky I am to be able to "sleep in every day!!" Well, not really - I'm on a 24-hour-a-day cycle just like everyone else. If I'm truly "sleeping in" every morning, that would assume I'm going to sleep the same time everyone else is - meaning I'm supposed to just forfeit a couple hours out of every evening I have.

Really, what's the difference if school (or work) begins at 7am or 11am?

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, I've read scientific evidence on the body cycles of teens. I might be able to dig it up...

Minnesota has recently done a study of schools in the state that start later v. ones that start earlier, and comparing their achedemics. Does anyone know where I can find this study online?

-sj loves kevin spacey

12. Ramius

Ramius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2002
    My High School starts at 7:35am

[face_shocked] That's horrible! I can't imagine starting school that early. My grade school started at 8:00 am, and my high school starts at 8:00, and every tuesday at 8:30. I usually get up at 6:30 because I lived kinda far away. I go to a private school and if they wanted to, I guess they could start later because there's no bussing to fiddle with.

The public schools in my area start around 9:00, but they end around 4:00.

13. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    The difference is for people who regardless of when they get up, can't fall asleep til around the same time every night. For example, no matter when I wake up, I have a hard time sleeping til around 1 AM, unless I'm sick. Even if I'm tired, I toss and turn and lie awake in bed, unless I'm sick or something like that.

14. yodafett999

yodafett999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

Our school schedules were:

7:40 AM for high school
    8:10 AM for elementary school
    8:45 AM for middle school

I got through and so did everyone else I know. You adjust to it and you go from there. If you are having trouble then you need to seek some medical attention, it's not normal.

15. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    You're school's start at 7.45am???? That's ridiculous!

In Australia the primary schools start at 9am and the Secondary schools anywhere between 8.15 and 9am. There isn't an issue about buses because everyone catches the same bus, both primary and secondary school kids.

Also just because it starts later doesn't mean some of us don't still have to get up early. All the way through high school I was up by 5.30am and out of home at 6.15am. The bus left at 6.30am and then I got to school around 8am.

Still I think it is silly starting school that early. Of course kids are going to be tired.

What time do you finish school?

Kit

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I get off school at 2:45pm

Yeah, some kids will be fine, but not all or even most. I mean, I have never been able to go to sleep early. I went to bed at 11 when I was 7 years old. I just can't sleep early.

-sj loves kevin spacey

17. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Another thing: Even if they could go to bed earlier, how can teens, when they have so much homework? Are they supposed to come home from school, do their homework, and go right to sleep? Don't they deserve some fun time, too?

18. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    I just sleep during the unimportant classes. There's only like 2, maybe 3 classes where the teachers actually teach every day. The rest of the classes are just busy work and **** so there's really no reason to pay attention. Just do the work at home and study for the tests.

For example next year I will need to pay attention in my Calculus H., AP U.S. History, and possibly sometimes A.P. Statistics classes. A.P. English, Religion, Economics, and Business Law classes will be used to catch up on sleep. And then there's PE.

19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Exactly, and what about school activities like sports or other events? I was in Debate and Mock Trial last year, and that was insane! I had to quit this year because it just took up too much time and we got back at 10pm sometimes, on school nights. Hadn't had time to do homework yet! :eek:

-sj loves kevin spacey

20. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    I have no problem with the start time in the morning but what I do have a problem with is starting the school year earlier and earlier each year. School should not start until after Labor Day, not on August 15.

21. Ramius

Jun 8, 2002
    School should not start until after Labor Day, not on August 15.

I wholeheartedly agree.

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I have no problem with the start time in the morning

Because there's nothing wrong with it, or because that's how it's always been?

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Well, I'm not so mad about my school starting August 21st, because then I get out May 21st and I have 1st Semester finals before winter break which is MUCH better than after.

But I still hate getting up so early.

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. Ramius

Jun 8, 2002
    I've never seen anything about teens being unable to get to sleep early, but I remeber seeing a news report about how teens need an hour or two more sleep than the average adult. So if a teen and 30 year old go to bed at 11:00, and both get up at 6:30 for school and work, the teen will be more tired than the adult.

Edit: So I guess the best solution for the teen would be to go to sleep earlier, if that's possible for him.

25. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I think it's a bad idea for schools to start in August, since most of them have no air conditioning. How well can kids learn if they're melting? The way the weather is here right now, I'd be sooo miserable without air.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.