main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Should TCW be removed from the Legends timeline?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Weavile, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And if people have issues with TFA and sequels, there is another universe of stories to experience.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/02/20/star-wars-lucasfilm-legends-expanded-universe-george-lucas/

"That was the way it was from the day I walked into Lucasfilm with him all through Clone Wars, everything we worked on, he felt the Clone Wars series and his movies were what was actually the reality of it all, the canon," Filoni said, "then there was everything else..."

No. It was all approved by Lucasfilm's Publishing wing.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  3. Darth Weavile

Darth Weavile Jedi Master star 3

Oct 10, 2017
    George Lucas has said a lot of things and done the complete opposite. So forgive me if I don't put much weight into what he says. No disrespect to him, obviously, but he changes his mind a lot. Even TCW contradicts the films ("my powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count")

And once again, you are completely avoiding the question. I'm not saying to completely disregard TCW, I'm saying it makes more sense to have the Clone Wars multimedia project as part of Legends, and TCW as part of Disney canon. Problem solved.

4. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    You ignored everything else I said in the post. Lucas did not write Legends nor did he come up with their stories. Everything you see in TCW came from Lucas' head, he LITERALLY was the head of creative and created all the storylines in collaboration with others on the writers table.

5. Darth Weavile

Oct 10, 2017
    You do not seriously believe that George Lucas had the time to create the story of every episode of TCW, do you?

6. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    I'm sorry but seriously what is up with you? Everything I am saying is not my own belief, it's legit fact. If it weren't fact then I wouldn't be saying any of it. I'm not George Lucas' #1 fan or his BFF for me to be saying all that if it werent true. Can you please do research on the actual topic before creating a thread like this. The only reason TCW was kept canon was because George CREATED it himself. HE personally funded it all. HE created the stories. If you're going to make statements like "You don't seriously believe GL had time to create the story of every ep of TCW" without doing any research and remain as receptive as a Brickwall then don't bother asking questions about the topic.

Outsourced likes this.
  7. Darth Weavile

Oct 10, 2017
    1. That wasn't my topic question, so chill.
    2. George Lucas CREATED Star Wars: Clone Wars. Why isn't that considered a part of Disney canon?

JEDI-RISING likes this.
  8. ss640

ss640 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2017
    "As of April 25, 2014, the only previously published materials that are considered canon are the six Star Wars films, the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series and film, and the stand-alone Dark Horse Comics arc Star Wars: Darth Maul—Son of Dathomir."

Television series AND film. Again please do research.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Again, same with the movies. Heck, the EU contradicted itself more (and for much longer) than TCW. Hence the need to come up with that ludicrous ranking.

Because he didn't merely influence TCW. He created it, came up with the stories and supervised the episodes.

The micro-series? No, he didn't create it. He comissioned it.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas has long said that there were two universes out there. What he created and what the publishing and licensing division came up with. But that he couldn't be involved in every aspect of the EU. He could only approve of certain aspects and sometimes help out where he was asked to help out.

"Part of the job of the director is to sort of keep everything in line, and I can do that in the movies—but I can't do it on the whole Star Wars universe."

--George Lucas, Star Wars Insider #45, 1999.

"There are two worlds here," explained Lucas. "There's my world, which is the movies, and there's this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don't intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don't get too involved in the parallel universe."

--George Lucas, Cinescape interview, 2001.

"I don't read that stuff. I haven't read any of the novels. I don't know anything about that world. That's a different world than my world. But I do try to keep it consistent. The way I do it now is they have a Star Wars Encyclopedia. So if I come up with a name or something else, I look it up and see if it has already been used. When I said [other people] could make their own Star Wars stories, we decided that, like Star Trek, we would have two universes: My universe and then this other one. They try to make their universe as consistent with mine as possible, but obviously they get enthusiastic and want to go off in other directions."

--George Lucas, Starlog interview, 2005.

TOTAL FILM: "The Star Wars universe has expanded far beyond the movies. How much leeway do the game makers and novel writers have?"

LUCAS: "They have their own kind of world. There's three pillars of Star Wars. I'll probably get in trouble for this but it's OK! There's three pillars: the father, the son and the holy ghost. I'm the father, Howard Roffman [president of Lucas Licensing] is the son and the holy ghost is the fans, this kind of ethereal world of people coming up with all kinds of different ideas and histories. Now these three different pillars don't always match, but the movies and TV shows are all under my control and they are consistent within themselves. Howard tries to be consistent but sometimes he goes off on tangents and it's hard to hold him back. He once said to me that there are two Star Trek universes: there's the TV show and then there's all the spin-offs. He said that these were completely different and didn't have anything to do with each other. So I said, "OK, go ahead." In the early days I told them that they couldn't do anything about how Darth Vader was born, for obvious reasons, but otherwise I pretty much let them do whatever they wanted. They created this whole amazing universe that goes on for millions of years!"

TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."

--Total Film interview, 2008.

Now, yes, he did change his mind about there being more films. But had he not sold his company, he would not be using the post ROTJ continuity. Just as he used very little of the EU era material in the PT that had been developed prior to 1994 and just as he overwrote quite a bit of the PT EU regarding the Clone Wars.

The last time they met was on Obi-Diah according to "The Lost One". There was a lot of time between then and ROTS. So there isn't a contradiction.

As to CW and TCW, the latter is included in the Legends sections simply for the sake of consistency of the material. Especially since some of the material from 2008 through 2014, was borrowing from TCW. CW was left out most likely because certain parts were already being ignored by TCW and tonality and stylistically, they were different.

11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    @darth-sinister, Dooku and Anakin also briefly fight in The Path, the final part of Dark Disciple, which probably would have been their final duel together in the series, had it been completed as planned.

12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Right, so either way, there is no contradiction. If you just watch the films, then it is a clear reference to Geonosis. If you watch TCW or read "The Path", then you know there was more than one fight between them.

13. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Holy crap what is this thread? lol

14. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Weren't there four or five books, and some comics, that tied into TCW? None of those are canon, but they don't make any sense in Legends unless the show also exists in the timeline. I think it makes sense to still include the episodes for that reason alone.

WebLurker likes this.
  15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    And because Lucas had virtually nothing to do with it. It was Genndy's show.

Lucas on the CW micro-series vs TCW:

"The Genndy [Tartakovsky] show was an experiment that we did with Cartoon Network that was 5 minutes each, they went sort of where commercials normally go, and it was an experiment, not only in doing five-minute shows, but it was an experiment in trying to translate 'Star Wars' into an animated medium, and we felt very good about that. We thought it turned out really well, and we then took it to the next level, which was to do a full-out animated series of 'The Clone Wars'. There's not much overlap. Genndy did most of the animation and most of the stories for the first experimental series, and this one I'm pretty much following the mythology and the rules of the features, so it's a little bit different, but it's very much like the features except it's in animation."

Source

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  16. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I think it should be, officially. Along with all the other stuff associated with TCW. The Clone Wars multimedia project suffers for being tied to TCW and it would definitely be best.

17. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    But Legends book Darth Plaguis says he is.

18. Dapper Droid

Dapper Droid Jedi Knight

Oct 15, 2017
    I mean, isn't technically anything made after A New Hope "Exapnded Universe"?

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    No. Those are just sequels and prequels. Expanded Universe is just a way of exploring said universe outside of those films.

Darth Weavile likes this.
  20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Its a bit to late. There are several legends books that refrence TCW.

21. Dapper Droid

Dapper Droid Jedi Knight

Oct 15, 2017
    TCW wouldn't qualify as EU then, since it comes straight from Lucas himself.

22. Darth Weavile

Oct 10, 2017
    So did the Ewok films. And Holiday Special.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It was listed under the EU because parts of the material in the show originated in the old EU. As a show itself, it is more of a spinoff than an expansion of the universe since the bulk of the story was tied up in his films. What that means is that you take something like TOTJ, those weren't Lucas creations. He did contribute story material, mainly explaining what the Sith were about as not everyone knew at the time. That series was an expansion of the universe that he created, showing the Jedi Order a few thousand years in the past and showing how the Republic expanded as hyperspace travel became more refined. Likewise, the Ewok films were expansions of the Saga and weren't as directly connected to the main narrative as TCW was. They just showed us two tales of the Ewoks on their homeworld. THS was later disavowed by Lucas himself and though some material did make it into ROTS and TCW, Lucas had mostly ignored it due to his dislike of the final product.

24. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    No it tamed the EU and is needed to explain some of the later books.