main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Should TCW Come Back?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Narutakikun, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Now, before you get mad, hear me out.

I'm of very mixed mind on TCW coming back for another season. Much as I like the show, I think maybe it's for the best that it not. I have a couple of reasons for this.

First, having watched the Season 5 closer, I think the show really has made its full arc. We started it with Ahsoka being introduced; we leave it with her departure. If TCW is her story, it is now complete, at least as far as her time as a Jedi is concerned. We're also visibly reaching the end of the Clone Wars and approaching RoTS. I think it may be that this show really has done everything it set out to do, and everything it can do.

As for the matter of the missing Clovis arc, well, that could be re-edited into a movie, either for theatrical release or for DVD. Even that would be some symmetry - start on a movie, end on a movie.

Second, that was a great arc. I want this show to go out on top. I don't want it to end up like The Simpsons - a show that was brilliant years ago, but that simply ran out of good ideas and coasts on its former glory. Maybe this arc was a good metaphor for the show itself - perhaps it's time to let go of our attachments and walk away. Maybe that's why they chose to end it on this arc.

And, well, let's face facts - this show has always been uneven. It's been hit and miss, with the caveat that when it hit, it hit hard. Certainly, we got some hard hits this year - this last arc being the hardest of them. But the miss-to-hit ratio was noticeably unencouraging this season. This makes me believe that the show really is beginning to run out of creative gas. The adage is as old as show biz - always leave 'em wanting more. I have a feeling that this would be a good time to heed that advice.

Third, and maybe most importantly, I get the distinct impression that Disney wants to clean house and set its sights on the future, not the past - both in terms of the story itself and in terms of wanting to tell their own stories. George Lucas had 35 years to tell the Star Wars stories he wanted to tell, and for better or worse, he did. If Disney thinks that now it's time to lay those aside, and for there to be new Star Wars stories that new people want to tell, well, I can't say I blame them. In fact, I think that really is where their head ought to be right now.

So, as much as I like this show, I think maybe it is for the best if it ends here.

I figure I'll get some disagreement on this point. Comment as you see fit - but I felt that I had to say it.

2. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    If I remember right, Lucas told Filoni about Ahsoka's final fate when he first mentioned the character. IMHO, we haven't seen that fate yet.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I want to see that already made Clovis-arc....

4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    If it had to, I think "The Wrong Jedi" could serve as the conclusion of TCW. It does almost feel like some sort of ending. However I don't think TCW should end here. I don't think Ahsoka's arc has been resolved (Its just a twist) and there are to many plot strings still hanging. What about my boy Rex? What happens to him? What about this civil war that started on Mandalore? What about Clovis's return? There are many things TCW has not gotten around to resolving yet. I'd personally like for it to lead into and then run alongside ROTS for a moment. TCW probably needs atleast two more seasons two wrap up. It naturally shouldn't go on forever. However this is one show that needs a proper, rewarding ending.

5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    TCW will never die. It's like Family Guy or The Simpsons.

CaptainRex115 likes this.
  6. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    What would be the point of ending this show with all these cliff hangers? Fate of Ahsoka... Maul... Ventress... etc.

So no - it is not the end of the show nor should it be.

What other medium deserves to finish these stories more?

And what makes you think there will be something else for years? I see no point to this debate.

7. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd like it to run one more season to tie up some loose ends and run into ROTS. I've also never thought of TCW as "Ahsoka's story" nor do I want to start now. There are other characters.

9. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    The show needs to one more season IMO to wrap up other loose ends.

And honestly, I really hope we don't see Ahsoka in season 6. I would love to see them pick up her story again in a Dark Times show.

10. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013
    I'm pretty sure were getting a season 6. Disney would be stupid if they stopped production midway through.

JediMaster_1977 likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    One more season or rename the show

12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I think it will end in another two seasons.

Season 6 will build up to RoTS and 7 most probably will be the early years of Darth Vader

13. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    TCW is the story of Anakin and Obi-Wan and their experiences during the Clone Wars. It is an extension of the movies. Ahsoka leaving the Jedi Order pushes Anakin's distrust of the Council to a fever pitch, he was about to charge at the entire Council those dudes with the yellow sabers hadn't stopped him.

Clone Wars will come back in some form. Odds are, it's probably going to be on Disney XD or ABC, if not it will be on SW.com. Having a feeling Season 7 will be the end of The Clone Wars era.

14. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    Season 6 is a sure thing. Disney will give it at least one outing. Season 7 I would say is a pretty big likelihood. Beyond that though, it's anybody's guess.

15. Master_Gallia

Master_Gallia Jedi Padawan star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    Im not so sure. TWC (animation) opens up with Anakin being assigned a Padawan, and very early we see references to his attachment issues. Its possible Anakin deals with this by clinging on even tighter to Padme (just a thought). Nevertheless TWC is told more from Ahsoka's point of view than any other character. To get rid of her is to have a different show.

It would be like The Practice becoming Boston Legal (*shudders*).

I would love to see more of this stories they have to tell, but If they don't include Ahsoka, I'll be less enthusiastic about watching them.

16. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Not from what I've been hearing.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  17. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Agreed, and it segues into 2015 and the release of Episode VII. We already know Season 6 is basically "in the can" and work has begun on Season 7, so it would not be too much of a stretch to see the show picked up on a Disney network, or even as a Netflix exclusive show. Disney recently signed a streaming contract with Netflix and is featuring a number of Disney movies and TV shows, and Netflix is looking for more content, so it would not be too much of a stretch to see Clone Wars find a new home there.

I think there are defintely two more seasons of solid entertainment left in the show, with darker story arcs that slowly move us toward ROTS. However, I don't think Disney has plans for too many stories in the PT era after Clone Wars finishes its run.

Yancy

18. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I've heard absolutely nothing to indicate there won't be a Season 6.

AkashKedavra_93 and Hank Hill like this.
  19. BW2

BW2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 26, 2013
    It was meaningfull how Ahsoka just walked away immediatly. Without anything. Maybe she feared that they again convince her and she would never come loose again?

I think when Tarkin says "Penalty of death." was the moment Ahsoka realized that her whole existence is in danger by beeing a Jedi and participating longer in the war.

Just think about that, even if the council apologizez (Mace does not even apologize as the jerk he is), but what about all the clones? They hunted her brutaly. Tried to kill her. It was her personal Order 66 already. Ahsoka looking at them and going still with them on a Mission? That sounds even weird.

It was the only possible choice for her to leave. If she has one inch of Honour and selfrespect, she must leave.

Maybe now we will see the real Ahsoka Tano. Its not the end, its just the beginning. ;)

Lucas01210 and earlchinna like this.
  20. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I would like to see the aftermath of this, but I feel that the show should't run more than a season now. They've hit the climax.

BW2 likes this.
  21. earlchinna

earlchinna Jedi Master star 2

Mar 17, 2004
    From the storytelling perspective, I think it doesn't sound like a complete end, rather it makes me think of how they create a real shape shift at the middle of season 3, for the better. The difference is this time they do end a chapter, and it's about 1000 times more significant... but I'm 100% supporting the fresh start it calls, and the great team seems to want to keep going on that momentum unquestionably.

Now this actually brings to the cancellation rumors going on. Now I think it really makes sense that it will continue:
    some people have expressed fears because of toyline, video games cancellation/delays , but it can't compare. TCW has George very directly involved, obviously he loves it, production is still running.
    While the Disney news can affect (even big) sub-divisions in SW like Hasbro, LucasArts, DH comics... It seems very unlikely that anybody in the world including Disney empire can tell to Lucas and Lucasfilm (not to mention this unique fanbase we are) directly: "just stop it all now, it's over"
    George is known to do what he wants with it, including special editions, and as of today, the very plausible rumor that he just said no to a Yoda spinoff tends to confirm it.

I do believe the current uncertain state is just a big contracts mess or such they have to sort out, but we'll be getting more TCW, certainly more excellent TCW which is Star Wars at its best, through one media or another.

QuangoFett and Hank Hill like this.
  22. El Bastarde

El Bastarde Jedi Youngling

Mar 2, 2013
    Maybe it's me but TCM seems like it could go on in perpetuity. A lot of these episodes really don't "resolve" anything and just seem to be a "continuing adventures of the Clone Wars" kind of thing. Obviously this latest show is one of the rare moments in which something dramatic happens but if they really wanted they could have Ahsoka rejoin the order after some soul-searching and everything goes on status quo. I've never really expected this series to "resolve" anything. Most of the characters have to live on to be in RotS so it's not like anything will really be resolved in terms of the war so we've only got the small cast of TCW-only characters who can actually develop. I see it as a nice adventure show with some cool chill moments but little else.

23. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    One more season should do it. What we saw today was Ahsoka's version of Luke throwing himself into the bowels of Bespin after learning Vader is his father; we may have reached the high point of the story arc but its still open to conclusion. We will still need a resolution to the whole relationship between Ahsoka and Lux, plus her new friendship with Ventress. There's going to be a time when the Jedi are going extinct and Ahsoka is going to have to question her continued self exile from the Order, and she will probably be forced to confront Darth Vader.

BW2 likes this.
  24. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Right up until the ending of this episode, I would have definitely said, "Season Six needs to happen!" Because from a storytelling standpoint, it would make sense for the series finale to be Palpy's kidnapping and the start of the Battle of Coruscant. Perfect meld right into the beginning of ROTS.

Now, after seeing this finale, I'm not sure. The finale leaves the distinct impression this is the moment when Anakin really begins his slide toward Darth Vader. This plants a large seed of mistrust which pushes him to seek out a mentor that can help him make sense of the chaos going in the galaxy. The "mentor" he winds up finding is, of course, Palpy/Sidious. The ending writes itself from this point.

Season Six would be more of tying up the loose ends before ROTS. Darth Maul either dies for the last time or becomes a Sith demi-god (hey, why not? :p). The Clovis arc wraps up some final threads about the Separtists. There might be some brief interactions between Anakin and Palpy which sets the stage for their relationship in ROTS. Padme shows up, does more political stuff. Maybe Cad Bane and Hondo make one last appearance. Then, season/series finale, the kidnapping and Coruscant battle begins. Maybe it would work great, or maybe there would be too much filler like in Season Five (the droids and the frog colonel arc). How much of this really needs to be seen?

25. BW2

BW2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 26, 2013
    The propably last season 6 will deepen the events of this season 5 final. Ahsoka will try to fix things on her own. The words of Bariss are true and the jedi are serving the dark side by participating in a war which let suffer millions. Good Jedi dying or turning to the dark side. Republic is slowly fading away and Ahsoka understands this now. The Council and Anakin are totaly blind and their senses are clouded. They are too much into the war. Mace talking about public opinion like a politician instead of talking about how to solve the problems inside of the order. Ahsoka looked very odd at him when he talked BS about the Ways of the force to hide his own mistake.

Ahsoka now will try to clear her senses and solve the problems of the republic together with people she trusts. That can be Anakin (She can use his contacts in the Order and military), Padme, Lux and others. Because of the War Jedi cant use their senses. Ahsoka now has the time and freedom to search for answers and she has to proove something to herself now. She has to proove that she was worth to be a Jedi all that time, after getting hit in the stomach from the Jedi Council..

When she said she cant trust herself after this anymore, she looked like she looked on Christophsis, when she lost all her hope to become a Padawan.

[​IMG]

Now Ahsoka is again reduced to that point again.

[​IMG]

Anakin looked sad at the end but more for her than for himself. After all that time in which Anakin tried to give this young female some selfasureness, the council easily destroyed it in one moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.