main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should the Anthology films have opening crawls?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by dolphin, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd guess that people that don't understand that the crawl is meant to be an homage to old sci-fi serials (like Flash Gordon) could be "bothered" by the amount of time it takes for the film to begin, and they could just be thinking "okay enough setting the stage, lets just get to the movie already!" Some people are just less patient. Not saying it's justified or anything, just trying to find a possible explanation.

That being said, I would actually prefer we do not see a crawl, and get some different kind of fanfare score intro. NOT because I don't like it (I love it), but simply to help differentiate it from the main saga. If they DO decide to include a crawl, I would actually quite enjoy that as well I guess. This is just my preference.

-Jedi Joe- and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  2. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    The Anthology films, by design, will break the mold. Personally, I think they should do something different than the traditional Star Wars opening. Maybe "A Long Time Ago..." (written in a color other than blue) then jump to the news reel style opening of The Clone Wars. Just be clever, and stick to the action/adventure serial look that works so well for these films.

3. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I agree that a different fanfare to go along with the crawl would be appropriate for anthology films.

4. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I would prefer nothing at all. Just start with "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..." and then cut directly to stars, planets and ships without any logo, text or fanfare music.

"ROGUE ONE" could be shown at the end of the movie instead, just before the end credits.

5. AmidalaLover

AmidalaLover Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 19, 2014
    No. It should be unique from the Saga. Maybe a voiceover who knows. They'll find something.

6. CrazyBladeUK

CrazyBladeUK Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 13, 2015

A vocal crawl, as it were?

Interesting...

7. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    The crawl is a must. The pan to a planet/starship thing probably can go. I think that should be unique to its particular film (i.e. the Han film pans to the Millennium Falcon, etc)

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  8. Psych_Jedi

Psych_Jedi Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I'm split on this, but I do think they should differentiate themselves from the saga films. It probably depends on the film...Rogue one is essentially an immediate prequel to ANH--I don't think all the anthology films will be that intimately tied. Perhaps they could display intro text in a different way.

9. zldeltah

zldeltah Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2015
    I'm not sure what they will do about this, but it'll be interesting to see.

If I had to pick, I would either do a voice-over introduction (like what they do on The Clone Wars series) from a main character.

OR I'd do about a 5-10 segment of film that sets up the story, and then have a title screen (like what J.J. Abrams did with his Star Trek films) but in a really epic, Star Wars wayZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'd rather they keep the crawl as something that's exclusive for the Saga films. Let the Anthology movies do their own thing, each and every one of them.

B99 likes this.
  11. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I agree. Keep the crawl for the saga films. I don't think it's necessary for the stand alones.

12. ArchStanton1862

ArchStanton1862 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014
    I'd very much rather have them keep some distance between these films and the saga ones. If they have the scroll and everything it'll be hard for people to keep them apart. I'm already having people ask me what this Rogue One thing is. The idea of Anthology films confuses non-fanatics like us. Best to make clear right away that they're different. Either an entirely different wall of text or a cold start. I don't think people will really be likely to forget it's Star Wars once the film starts.

13. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    [face_worried] I would die if i watched ANY SW movie without the traditional opening crawl. So i'd like a variation of the classic maybe?

14. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I actually like the idea of opening a book and having a voice over, but that's only if the movie "feels" (for lack of a better word) fairy-tale-ish. It really depends on the style of the movie, I suppose.

15. Wu Tzu

Wu Tzu Jedi Youngling

Dec 19, 2015
    I say no.

I'd rather have an vocal introduction, like in SW: The Clone Wars.

AshiusX likes this.
  16. AmidalaLover

Aug 19, 2014
    A long time ago... with a new reel like in The Clone Wars and the Legend of Korra. The news reel can be in writing instead of voice which would be interesting.

AshiusX likes this.
  17. Blake Starstrider

Blake Starstrider Jedi Master star 2

Apr 19, 2015
  18. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    How do you think the Anthology films should begin?

Personally I love how the main movies begin, but I worry that the opening sequence will become overused. (It already has been with fan films and such). To keep the magic of the way the regular episodes start, I would like to see the Anthology films keep "A long time ago on a galaxy far far away..." But then do something different.

And what about the music? This isn't part of the poll, but should the music be different too? Discuss!

19. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    Make the crawl scroll down and play the imperial march. Camera scrolls up and it's always to a ship LEAVING a planet

20. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Like this (using Rogue One as an example):

LUCASFILM LOGO

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
    Fade out. Blackness. Stars slowly popping up. As we see a planet and a starship, the title "ROGUE ONE" is shown, followed by "A Star Wars Story".

21. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    This thread already exists. Merging now.

22. DarthCalrissian

DarthCalrissian Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2016
    They should have the crawl but do something different with the openings. For example if Rogue One is a gritty drama as they say it could open with the familiar image of stars. A boot then splashes into the picture revealing it as a puddle reflecting the night sky.

23. DarthTino

DarthTino Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2016
    i hope the anthology movies will not have opening crawl.I want only the episodic movies to have it,but that's just me

24. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    Even some books, comics and videogames have a crawl. I think there'll be crawls.

25. AmidalaLover

Aug 19, 2014
    Or how about a unique voice over opening for each one. Like for Rogue One it opens up the normal "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away..." It then says "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" then they have an Imperial propaganda film talking about how "great" the galaxy is. The film opens with a shot of the Death Star showing how grim the fate of the galaxy is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.