main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should the Anthology films have opening crawls?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by dolphin, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silent Android

Silent Android Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2016

It's in the crawl and I wager the episode number will be on the DVD/Blu-Ray package. I'm assuming that TFA didn't get an episode number in the title logo because none of the OT films did, and that they were more crucial in the PT because telling a backstory was the whole purpose of the prequels.

2. SalaciousCrumb81

SalaciousCrumb81 Jedi Master

Aug 5, 2002

I loved that show. I swear I just herd it maybe coming back!

3. JJRosso

JJRosso Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Either way it doesn't matter. Just make sure the movie is good

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Yes to opening crawls.

5. JediKnightYJK

JediKnightYJK Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 17, 2016
    Personally no too opening crawls, I want these movies to have a different tone to the original stories so starting out different will be one step.

6. Black Leader

Black Leader Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016

Agreed. Imagine a new fan, Rogue One is their 1st SW film they would immediately notice this unique SW signature . When that fanfare starts up & the crawl comes up, my heart swells. :) The crawl is an asset, they should use it, IMHO.

7. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I say yes 2 an opening crawl but how about something different. Instead of opening with a star field in space with "ye olde SD coming toward or away from u" we open with say a city skyline at night. Or a really dark place like a dungeon 4 the SW Story films.

8. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    The whole point of the anthology films is to expand the sandbox and bring something new to the same old Galaxy Far Far Away. What better way to signal that this is a fresh and new take on the SW universe than to open Rogue One in a different way than the same old title crawl?!?

9. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I want crawls for all Star Wars films. They're so utterly unique to this film universe, and they almost literally draw a viewer into the universe. I love them.

ReyPrescott, AmySolo and Dra--- like this.
  10. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    I feel like this, but I also like the idea of setting them apart even within the SW universe. :confused:

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah they should just have Weird Al narrate.

Luke02 and AmySolo like this.
  12. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002

Yes. It's a SW movie after all.

13. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Anyone who thinks they aren't going to use a crawl need their head read.

As people have seen with TFA, they are going to try to make this as Star-Warsy as possible.

14. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Applying what they did with TFA to EVERYTHING that they'll do going forward, seems a bit premature at this point. That movie was kind of a special case in this regard.

AmySolo likes this.
  15. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Ummm, but... By that logic, wouldn't it also make more sense for TFA to actually include the episode number in the title logo? The whole purpose of the ST is to explain what happens after ROTJ... It's not a stand-alone film.

I'm pretty sure it was JJ's idea to cut the episode number from the title logo. Afterall, in pre-production it was always referred to as "Episode VII".

16. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Not really. The prequels needed the Episode # prominently displayed to inform the audience that TPM, despite coming after ROTJ, was not a sequel to ROTJ. By the time TFA came out, episodes 1-6 were already done, so there was no confusion about which direction the story was heading next (in other words, the next movie pretty much HAD to be #7.)

I could be wrong, but I think it was either a Disney or Lucasfilm marketing decision. I recall them stating at some point that although TFA was episode 7, they didn't want audiences to feel as if the film wasn't accessible to people who hadn't seen the first six, so they downplayed the "VII" in marketing.

17. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    If Anthology films have a title crawl, do you have a different song play over it? Or do you also open every single SW movie from now till eternity with "Star Wars Theme"?

I think Star Wars theme should be exclusive to the episodic Saga, and given that new composers and type of composers are going to score the anthology films, Williams' original theme may not gel well with whatever the rest of the score for the film is. Also Williams' main theme is so intrinsically tied to Skywalkers for me. What does it have to do with Felicity Jones or any new Anthology character?

But then it might feel strange to have different music played over the same yellow text over stars title crawl. So why not just jettison that? And do something fresh for each anthology film.

I'd love it for Rogue One to start with a cold open not unlike Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.

18. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I think it'll start with the crawl but different theme music. IMO the crawl is a certainty bcs although we fans know where we are in the timeline & what the situation is, the average moviegoer will definitely need some context in terms of the timeline & events leading up to this. I'd bet on the crawl featuring but I'd like a different music theme. I'd start it with the familiar burst of trumpets but then go into a unique theme. Something darker & more militaristic. Along the lines of this:

19. Gabricjen

Gabricjen Jedi Master star 3

Dec 16, 2003
    Although these films are considered Stories and an Anthology other than the Episodes, it is all Star Wars. In the end, I believe, the Episode numbers are a regret. You can tell by the way they marketed TFA..no episode number. These films may be offshoots but they contain the same galaxy and characters and follow same storyline overall, Scrolls it is. I would hate to see them deviate to far left of the OT/PT/ST. I think they should re-release an 'Ultimate Edition' from Disney, all 7 films with deleted scenes added, including The Clone Wars and Rebels, use some of the John Williams leftover music he recorded and in the end, you will have a bunch of films in sequence order, forget the episodes.

20. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    It's a must for me! It's the unique way the films start. Even the comics and novels have the equivalent of what would be the crawl.

21. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    All Star Wars films need an opening crawl. I don't believe Disney will change that.

22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    All main movies have had opening crawls, the spin offs are different. Did the Ewok movies have opening crawls?

23. Black Leader

Jan 4, 2016

I tired to convert a mate & former colleague to the merits of Mr Yankovic, but he didn't find Like a Surgeon as hilarious as I did :D

24. Black Leader

Jan 4, 2016

what about the Holiday Special lol

25. Unit51

Unit51 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    I would like it to be there but if they don't do it, I'm ok with that too. However, I think it needs to be all or none. All the anthology movies have a crawl or none do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.