main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should "The Duel" be reclassified as "Yoda vs. Sidious?" Instead of "Obi Wan vs. Vader?"

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthSithLord, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Hey, "Reloaded" was good. "You are the sum of the remainder of an equation of an anomaly comprised of a complex series of algothms that resulted in a catacalysmic series of events, it's finality concluding in what you conclude as reality. Hence, your chick is going to die."

So what's the problem? :p

2. -Master_Yoda-

-Master_Yoda- Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2005
    These two characters are basically "representatives" of their sides (because of their levels of power), the ultimate good guy vs. the ultimate bad guy.

But that's not what the story is about, hence why 'The Duel' is Anakin v. Obi-wan

3. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    You kidding me, Matrix Reloaded sucked compared to Matrix 3, Matrix 3 had the Machine War. and a better storyline.

4. -Master_Yoda-

-Master_Yoda- Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2005
    Face it, only the first film was any good ;)

5. DarthSithLord

DarthSithLord Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    Well Ya, Matrix One is good, but I'm sick of it right now, seen it too many times.

The Sequals on the other hand are poor but if you compare 2 & 3? 3 is superior, aleast it ends the story in a realistic/poor way.

6. Mr-Mynock_

Mr-Mynock_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    Yoda vs. Sidious = THE duel????????? OK, Well in "ANH" it was clearly established Ben and Vader had history. And in the months that followed, the details of the lava pit and the duel were well known official Mythos. Yoda vs. the Emperor was NEVER hinted at in the slightest. For someone to say that was the duel that caught their intrest would have been nothing more than pure imaginative speculation. And that's fine.

Now to say that the fate of the SW galaxy hangs in the balance of this duel is proposterous!!!! Have you even watched the OT?????? Well I hate to spoil it for you but as this is a spoilers allowed forum here it is. Yoda survives, hidden from the Empire on the Planet Degobah. Meanwhile Palpatine/Sidious/the Emperor survives to command the Galactic Empire. If the two never even met face to face in Ep.III it would have no impact on the saga whatsoever. This sequence is simply there because GL set Yoda up with a fight sequence in Ep.II and likely wants to do it again in this one. but it accomplishes NOTHING. Sure both Obi-Wan and Vader survive their duel, but it at least acts to punctuate the final demise of Anakin both in soul and in body (until his redemption in Ep.VI, again if you weren't following along).

As it was mentioned before, there might be a strong correspondence to age with this thread. Those who actually follow the EU, and therefore view the SW universe as being about more than the story of Anakin. But the old timers see SW in much the same way GL appears to. The Saga is the essence of SW and that is clearly about Anakin's fall and redemption.

Gary D. (now back to lurking)

7. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    Mr.Mynock the question is, have YOU even watched the OT??

Anakin wasnt the center piece of the story, neither was Obi, it was all about Luke and his journey to first avenge his father, then once he found out the truth, redeem his father.

But Luke was the main character until the PT came out.

8. Jedicro

Jedicro Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2005
    ^^^^i agree. this movie is about anakins fall to the darkside primarily. the yoda and sidious fight mine as well be put to benny hill music, because it has no real relevance. while yes the palpatine yoda duel will be awesome (theres gonna be some crazy force powers going on :)) but its the 12 minute long anakin obi duel that is the true climax of the story. plus i have always preferred two actual people fighting as opposed to the yoda fight. the yoda fight, while awesome, just looks more artificial. it hardly looks like a fight, just yoda flying around and the other person swatting at them. with a human on human fight, you can see the great coreography and skill. im most looking forward to obi-ani fight, but they will all kick major ass.

9. Mr-Mynock_

Mr-Mynock_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    r8hitman, I agree that Luke was without doubt the main character of the OT. Anakin is the main Character of the PT. But Anakin's fall and redemption is the story of the SAGA. No it wasn't viewed this way until the PT came into existance, but GL has been quite clear about this overall view for nearly a decade now.

Even if the movies were filmed in order, how would you do a trilogy about the redemption of a character? Granted you might spend a bit more time on Vader than we saw in "ANH", but even at that you need to tell the story of those who actualy redeem him, and spend the screen time introducing those characters more than the Vader character (which if filmed sequentialy would already have been established in Ep.1-3 anyhow). Can you imagine how badly the OT would have sucked if it were filmed from Vader's point of view? For the better part of three movies it would be this evil villanous dude going around creating havoc, with this pesky kid character popping up here and there, just to surface in the end say I love you Dad, and convert this evil monster to the Light side. It doesn't work. At the risk of being redundant, with the creation of the PT the entire perspective changed somewhat. Where we once had the Star Wars Trilogy we now have the Star Wars Saga which is composed of two seperate and distinct parts.

GD

OR maybe it takes being Canadian to understand this. (HAHAHA, sorry bit of a political joke there. Quebec, and such..., never mind)

10. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    From http://www.darkhorizons.com

Kudos to Lucas for sticking the aliens in the background and letting the human drama dominate this time around. Jar Jar has a three-second silent cameo, C-3PO has three lines (and none of them are bad jokes), Chewbacca appears but the Wookies are so hardly in it he may as well not have - only Yoda and Grievous have any real screen time. The former again steals the show and his fight with the Emperor in the senate chamber actually proves more engaging than the somewhat ridiculous Obi-Wan/Anakin lava duel. The later has a few good fights but is ultimately a puffed up non-entity like Darth Maul was.

After watching the film I can agree that the real "duel" of this movie was Yoda vs. Sidious.

(just like I always knew it would be :p)

11. PaplooTheory

PaplooTheory Jedi Master star 5

Nov 9, 2001
    Please.

The "duel" between Yoda and Palps was definately cool, but I was on the edge of my seat suring the entire Vader and Obi fight. That had more tension and intensity, if you ask me... and shall forever remain "The Duel" in my mind.

12. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Seriously... it's been known as "The Duel" for... decades now...

Obi-wan Vs. Vader Round 1 = THE DUEL!

13. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    The "duel" between Yoda and Palps was definately cool, but I was on the edge of my seat suring the entire Vader and Obi fight.

Uh....WHY? :confused:

We all knew every single detail of that duel before the movie even came out.

The Yoda vs. Sidious was the one that kept ME on the edge of my seat...from the time Yoda first walked in you knew you were about to see a showdown between two great force users.

Obi-Wan vs. Anakin was VERY overrated.

And the movie proved it.[face_shame_on_you]

14. Malikail

Malikail Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    Should "The Duel" be reclassified as "Yoda vs. Sidious?" Instead of "Obi Wan vs. Vader?"

nope it shouldn't.

15. lord_vader2005

lord_vader2005 Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2005
    who cares about who gets *the duel* title.the fact is more people loved the yoda/sidious duel way better than anakin/obi-wan duel.

16. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    That's because it was more important and visually better.

EDIT:
    And for the record I grew up with the OT....but the first obi-wan vs. anakin duel just never appealed to me or sparked my curiosity, whereas Vader's master fighting Obi-Wan's master was always a fight I wanted to see happen.

17. D_Lowe

D_Lowe Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 15, 2002
    The Duel is the Obi-Wan Vs Vader. It was longer and more intense and more of the focus at the end.

18. m_cable

m_cable Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    There is no doubt in my mind that Obi Wan vs Vader I is "The Duel". Yoda vs Sidious was all right, but O vs V was a sight to behold. Best lightsaber battle in Star Wars history.

19. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Best lightsaber battle in Star Wars history.

That's an opinion that I dont share....the best pure "lightsaber" battle in StarWars is obi-wan/qui-gon vs. darth maul IMO.

20. lord_vader2005

lord_vader2005 Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2005
    who cares about who gets *the duel* title.the fact is more people loved the yoda/sidious duel way better than anakin/obi-wan duel.

21. Grievous_Unleashed

Grievous_Unleashed Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2005
    Would you rather see two best friends, one of whom has turned his back on everything he held dear to slaughter innocents, duel on a firey planet of lava....

or a small green guy battle an old guy in a hood.

The answer?

SMALL GREEN GUY VS OLD GUY IN A HOOD!

My God I love that saber-play. I don't care what anyone says; for me the saber battle on the Emperor's Podium as it rose into the Senate Arena was the greatest lightsaber battle in SW, and I loved it. When the Emperor started throwing pods, I was just sitting amazed on the edge of my seat. Yoda was leaping onto pods that were crashing, flipping metres at a time and Sidious was doing all he could to stop him. You really got the feeling that the Emperor was trying every trick in the book to take out Yoda and none of them were working. Then the Emperor thought he'd won with the lightning as Yoda desperately absorbed it, looking away.... then Yoda looked back with the hardass look in his eyes and we just see the Emperor thing "Oh ****" and try to disengage, but he can't.... big boom.

For Anakin vs Obi it was great; awesome in fact, second best bit of lightsaber play in a SW movie, knocks Ep 1 out of the box with EASE. BEst bit is at the end as they stare down each other as their platform ploughs through the lava. But just. Not. As. Good.

22. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    Well, the Yoda/Palpatine duel was funnier than the other, I'll give you that much.

23. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Well everytime they cut to the Yoda/Sidious duel I wanted to go back to the Obi-Wan/Anakin duel. So I guess that answers that question for me. Oddly enough, they set it up so it would feel like there's more at stake with the latter, and I suppose there is, a man's soul is on the line.

24. Master-obiwan

Master-obiwan Jedi Master star 1

Aug 13, 2004
    As much as I hate to say it.. I loved the yoda sids fight much better... I'm not taking anything away from the obi-vader fight... Just the way yoda looks away when he is taking gobs of lighting and then looks back, almost with murder in his eyes. Forever the best in my book..... IMO

25. Ewoks_Rule_Haters

Ewoks_Rule_Haters Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    I noticed things in the Ani/Obi duel during my 5th time seeing ROTS, that I diddnt recognize in my previous 4 times. They do some really incredible moves that you just cant appreciate until you watch it in its entirety many, many times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.