Should "The Duel" be reclassified as "Yoda vs. Sidious?" Instead of "Obi Wan vs. Vader?"

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthSithLord, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2sithatatime Jedi Knight

star 1
    The Duel was the greatest pure lightsaber duel ever created. Yoda vs. Sidious was awesome, but there was a lot more force powers, which IMO Sidious won in force powers and lightsaber ability. Why else would Yoda run? I saw no indication of Yoda sensing clone troopers. You also don't see any clone troopers after.
  2. Imperial Politician Force Ghost

star 4
    No. And there are over 28 years of reasons why.
  3. Admiral_AckBas Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yoda vs. Sidious was cool, but The Duel was a far more interesting fight. Both from an emotional point of view and from a technical point of view. While Yoda vs. Sidious was basically enemies battling, The Duel was brothers battling, which gives it a far more interesting edge, emotionally. Technically, the swordplay between Anakin and Obi-Wan was more furious, interesting and diverse. Yoda and Sidious were basically just swinging at each other and blocking each other's attacks. Very little interesting moves, there. The use of force powers by both made it interesting, not the swordplay.

Nope. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan wins on all fronts. Yoda vs. Sidious was fantastic, but only from an fan's "OMG, clash of the titans!" perspective. The Duel, however, has a far more legendary status.
  4. PaplooTheory Force Ghost

star 5
    See, the Yoda fight, in my opinion, had no tension at all. Yoda could NOT win, and really, they barely even used their lightsabers anyhow. Yeah, it was very very cool, but I thought that it could have been a bit more intense.

5. MasterJedi101 Jedi Master

star 1
  6. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    Any new thoughts on this.

We've had a few months to look back and I still come to the same conclusion....Sidious/Yoda was the "duel" of the movie IMO.
  7. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    I don't understand how you came to that conclusion. The emotional weight is on Obi-Wan and Anakin and their duel begins before Yoda and Sidious start theirs and ends long after the other is finished.
    Both duels are major events, though, so in hindsight, it could be that we should really be talking about "The Duels", not "The Duel". They're linked together and intercut eachother, because this is the attempted destruction of the Sith. It's not really two separate events, but one that takes place on two locations.

The Duels - oh yeah
    /LM
  8. heels1785 Community Moderator & JD Commish

star 6
    Absolutely NOT.

The Yoda-Sidious duel didn't hold a candle to THE Vader-Kenobi duel, not by any stretch, it should be tagged "Duel of the Fates," because that's truly what it was.
  9. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm sorry I just didnt feel it.[face_not_talking]

Maybe it's because we already knew everything that was going to happen in that duel before it happened.

We hardly ever saw any clips of Sidious/Yoda before May 19.
  10. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    So you're a spoiler junkie? Well, that's what you get for being curious! ;)

Spoilers - they spoil
    /LM
  11. sithrules70 Jedi Master

star 4
    i feel the oposite way,whenever they change to obi wan/anakin i want to change to sidious vs yoda.
  12. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    I think that kind of proves my point - It's really The Duels.

I'm clever
    /LM
  13. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4

Well it's a little more to it than that.

I was just never curious about their first battle. From the time I first saw them fight in ANH the words "at last we meet again" never made me wonder.

Now when I first saw that Vader wasnt the top dog and had a mentor and I found out that Obi-Wan had a mentor/teacher THEN I started to say, "I wonder if the two masters ever fought it out?" and I've wondered that since the early 80's so I just never would have really cared for the lava fight anyway.

I agree with sithrules 100%.

Switching back to that surfboard/lava showdown pissed me off.[face_not_talking]
  14. farrellg Force Ghost

star 4
    I think I liked the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan fight better overall, since the Yoda vs. the Emperor wasn't as good as I thought it would be. The beginning of the duel where the Emperor hit Yoda with lightning was better than anything that happened in the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan duel. If the whole Yoda vs. the Emperor fight had been like that, I would've certainly liked it better than Anakin vs. Obi-Wan.

I think the ideal situation for Yoda's confrontation with the Emperor would be if Yoda just stood there and was electrocuted without blocking a single bolt of lightning, and then barely escaped with life after falling to the bottom of the Senate arena. This chain of events would have been more consistent with the Emperor's 100% effective lightning from ROTJ, and wouldn't make anyone think the Emperor was less powerful than they initially thought he was.
  15. sithrules70 Jedi Master

star 4
    dont you think it would be bad to show such superiority by palpatine,farrellg ??[face_not_talking]
  16. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    It would be insane.

Especially considering the way he died.
  17. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Despite the two masters of light and dark are battling one another, I think I'll always consider the Anakin and Obi-Wan duel to be THE duel. The entire PT is the build up to Anakin's fall and the OT is his redemption.
  18. rhondeboo Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not for me. The duel between Obi and Ani had so much more at stake and so much more was lost. It was about emotions and betrayal.
  19. sithrules70 Jedi Master

star 4
    but the sidious vs yoda duel was cooler[face_devil] and they showed much more power than anakin and obi wan.[face_skull]
  20. rhondeboo Jedi Knight

star 1
  21. sithrules70 Jedi Master

star 4
  22. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4

The entire PT is the build up to Anakin's fall
    But wouldnt that be the Mace/Sidious fight??:confused:

That's when he makes his choice, and the scene is ROTJ is when he makes his other choice.

Technically the movie could have ended right there...everything else was just details.

(but dont get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all:D )
  23. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    I thought the Yoda and Sidious duel was rocking and certainly rivaled the other duel going on in terms of coolness. I saw much more raw Force power displayed in the Yoda and Sidious duel. What was absent was the emotion because there was no friendship lost.
  24. r8hitman Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree with you on this topic but...what are we going to see?:confused:

:p
  25. rhondeboo Jedi Knight

star 1
    My favorite part of the Yoda vs Sidious duel was when the pod rose. It was very symbolic of the fight for the galaxy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.