main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should "The Duel" be reclassified as "Yoda vs. Sidious?" Instead of "Obi Wan vs. Vader?"

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthSithLord, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    i was just mocking dooku in respond to rhonderoo's post:p

2. r8hitman

r8hitman Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2004
    Oh Ok.

But what's up man??

It seems like we're the only ones who see the importance of the Sid/Yoda confrontation.:confused:

3. farrellg

farrellg Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2005
    It would be insane.

Especially considering the way he died.

I don't see how the way the Emperor died would make it insane for him to be much more powerful than Yoda. He completely overpowered Luke with the force lightning, and Vader was still able to kill him. If they wrote the story so that Yoda couldn't handle lightning any better than Luke (a full-fledged Jedi Knight and the greatest warrior we saw in the OT), it wouldn't mean that the Emperor can't be killed by being thrown down a shaft.

4. sithrules70

May 28, 2005

annoying isn't it ??[face_frustrated]

5. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah but it would be strange to have this "all powerful, plan everything out,sit at his desk and fry the greatest jedi of all times without leaving his seat" emperor die from merely being "thrown down a shaft".o_O

6. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Who said anything about importance? Noone implied that any of the duels wasn't important. Of course they're important, that's the whole point! They are The Duels, in which the Jedi try to destroy the Sith but fail.

I love The Duels
    /LM

7. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    Yeah but it would be strange to have this "all powerful, plan everything out,sit at his desk and fry the greatest jedi of all times without leaving his seat" emperor die from merely being "thrown down a shaft".

You may be right. I suppose the wisest Jedi Master should know how to defend himself against the greatest Sith lord's lightning. If the Emperor was that strong that even the Jedi Master with the most experience and the greatest knowledge of the Force couldn't challenge him, then it would be hard to believe that he couldn't find a way to somehow use the Force to stop Vader's attack.

8. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Exactly.
    ;)

EDIT:
    I think if Lucas had kept that scene of Yoda disarming the emperor in the film, we would have a better understanding of Sidious' power. (or lack of[face_thinking])

9. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    disarming means nothing,palpatine won the fight

10. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    UUUUMMMM NO!

Master vs. Padawan is great because they know each others moves.

Master vs. Master while cool just lacked something you'd expect from 2 great Force Master's.

11. farrellg

Mar 17, 2005
    I think if Lucas had kept that scene of Yoda disarming the emperor in the film, we would have a better understanding of Sidious' power. (or lack of thinking )

Maybe Lucas didn't have the duel end with the Emperor being disarmed because he wanted the Emperor to look powerful. According to McDiarmid, the Emperor is the fastest swordsman in the galaxy (see the quotes in my signature).

12. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    Oh, Oh, and my dad can beat up Superman and Spiderman and all the X-men at the same time.

[face_plain]

13. r8hitman

Mar 30, 2004
    ^^That wasnt directed at you, but at the level of foolishness of Ian's comments.

14. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    you like being cruel[face_laugh]

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    If the duel is reclassified as anything, it should be Jedi vs Sith.

16. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    mhm [face_thinking] interesting that would be[face_dancing]

17. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    yoda vs sids. all the way. it is the culmination of the whole PT. it is awesome.

18. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    once again we agree dude4c

19. SashaSkywalker

SashaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2005
    Since we practically knew the outcome of both duels beforehand, I have to go with the one I was more emotionally invested in, with was Anakin vs. Obi Wan.

But I`m not sure if it would have been better from a movie perspective to show first one duel then the other with no intercutting even though I wanted to stay on Mustafar the whole time. [face_thinking]

20. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    and i wanted to stay on the senate the whole time:p

21. SashaSkywalker

Oct 11, 2005
    Ah I see we shared the same frustration then. ;)
    May be separate duels would have worked better ? I can`t really say.

22. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    to see the entire senate duel is more a fanboy dream for me,i think is great the way it is.it would be weird to show 1 duel first and the other later.

23. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    i like the way they did it. c'mon if your heart is not pumping the last 45 minutes of that movie, your not alive. to see the chancelors pod rise up in that huge chamber with the two best trying to kill each other with sabers with dule of fates in background. whew chills man, chills. good stuff.

24. SashaSkywalker

Oct 11, 2005
    You`re probably right. It would give the movie a strange feeling, like: "Scene. And next."

The thing is for me, since in the OT I found out about Anakin = Vader, I wanted to know what put him in the suit. And when it became clear it was a fight against Obi Wan, that was the duel of the PT for me. What I wanted to see, like the Luke/Vader-showdown in the OT.
    Whereas in the OT I cared diddly squat if the Emperor ever was in an all out fight. And when the PT rolled around I knew it would eventually be HeadJedi against MasterSith, but there wasn`t the same level of excitement about it.

So for me personally, "The Duel" will always be Anakin vs. Obi Wan, although Jedi vs. Sith has a nice epic feeling to it.

25. sithrules70

May 28, 2005
    it is fine as it is. to show them separately would not be good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.