main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should "The Duel" be reclassified as "Yoda vs. Sidious?" Instead of "Obi Wan vs. Vader?"

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthSithLord, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arbed

arbed Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 24, 2004
    Yup, just fine the way it is. Both duels are important, but I am just more emotionally involved with the Obi-Ani/Vader relationship that Yoda and Sids. They barely know each other....Obi and Ani spent about 13 years together and it's ripped apart. Now that to me is interesting in how that happened and how Ani got in the suit.

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Oh, I wouldn't say Yoda and Sidious barely know eachother. Palpatine has been working closely with the Jedi Council for 13 years. Not that we see much interaction between these two characters, but still....

Palpatine changes
    /LM

3. BothofUs

BothofUs Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 5, 2003
    Yoda vs. Sidious was visually more entertaining, but the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan is longer and more important to the story arc.

4. Chief_Spirit_of_Evil

Chief_Spirit_of_Evil Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2005
    My favourite and most powerful son Sidious fights beyond anything experienced. The word 'Duel' befits neither him or his new apprentice. He is a Man of war. A Lord of corruption. A Master of evil.

He slaughtered that pitiful Jedi creature and had that bug not fleed, my son would have feasted upon his soul. Much like he did with Windu - now he had potential.

"Taste the fear"

Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha

5. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    Yes, the Obi/Ani one is more important not only for the physicality and looks of it, but just as much or more for the emotionality behind it, knowing their history, and closing the gap between trilogies as far as their two characters go.

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Although both duels are made enormously symbolic by their surroundings, owed to the hostility of the environment, it is Mustafar that continually cuts into and interrupts the Obi Wan/Anakin duel. This made it a little unsatisfying on first viewing; the Yoda/Sidious duel is much more satisfying as two adherents of the Force are able to fight each other without interruption. Yet I've started to respect and enjoy the Obi Wan/Anakin duel equally; the surroundings seem to cut in precisely because Lucas wants us to feel that they are mad. The place is falling apart - nature is consuming everything - yet Obi Wan and Anakin fight on regardless. There's something David Lean-ish about that (think of the last lines in Bridge on the River Kwai).

7. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    *looks up*

That guy is like a genius[face_hypnotized]

8. Darth_Jaytastic

Darth_Jaytastic Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005

But Anakain could? Yoda-Sids had much more tension that a fight that you already know the conclusion to.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There is tension, it all depends on your point of view. We all know that Yoda loses his fight with Palpatine, but deep down you still want him to win over Palpatine, based on 'future' knowledge of his crimes. Just the same as you don't want Anakin to attack Mace, because you know that if he stayed out of it, it would be over. For future generations who don't know the entire Saga, they will wonder if Yoda survives this encounter. Will he be capable of beating Palpatine? Thus his defeat is all the sadder, because even he could not achieve victory.

10. Promiscuous_Jedi

Promiscuous_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2002
    I firmly think that "the duel" is the contest between Obi-Wan and Anakin/Vader.

It was clearly shown that they battled with their lightsabers from start to finish, which is a duel. Sidious and Yoda started off with their display of Force powers then dueled afterwards. The movie doesn't tell us when because the scenes go back to Yoda vs. Sidious to Obi-Wan vs. Vader a few times and somewhere along the way, Yoda must have disarmed Sidious because Sidious isn't holding a lightsaber any longer the contests ends with the way it started: the Masters both using their uncanny Forc powers.

11. darth-amedda

darth-amedda Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2003
    Should be "The Duels".

12. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Finally! Someone who thinks like me :)
    "The Duels" all the way, mate!

Yoda can jump really high
    /LM

13. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    both duels are important,it should be the "duels".

14. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    the yoda sidious dule was the better of the two. obi v ani was a little too furious. you could hardly see some of the great moves each where doing. when the dvd is here i can't wait to slow that dule down a bit so i can absorb the fight. it was good but it just seemed to be a little too fast. not to mention we did kinda know how it would end. yoda v sids, now that was unexpected. i guess you could argue that we should have known how that was going to end, but it was a better dule to watch visualy, so i give that one the edge.

Master Yoda - vs - The Emperor = The dule.

15. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    The fury of the Mustafar duel is what's so gret about it. I love the beginning, because Anakin attacks with such speed and anger that you can touch the danger of it.

Mustafar - my backyard
    /LM

16. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    Absolutely! Even though I obviously know that Obi-Wan will survive the duel, everytime I watch it I fear for his life! This scene does a great job demonstrating Vader's furious fighting skills, while also showing why Obi-Wan is the ultimate Jedi survivor.

17. loebs

loebs Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2005
    definitly not "the duel" in terms of story but yoda shoulda start of using a cane after that fall and should of been walking normal in 1 and 2

18. JediPriestess

JediPriestess Jedi Master star 4

Jul 28, 2004
    I frankly dont see the big draw to the Yoda/Sideous fight at all. They didnt start out as freinds therefore they really had zip to lose on a personal level the way Obi-Wan Anakin did. In fact, you could have not even had that duel in the movie and I honestly dont think it would have affected the plot much at all.

19. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm sure I've posted in here somewhere before... ah well...

Well it's "the duel", not plural, because originally the Obi-Wan v. Anakin fight was not intercut with Yoda v. Sidious, it took place after that one so it was the final duel.

But in terms of emotional connection for the audience, Obi/Ani wins hands down. The Yoda and Sidious fight does have huge repercussions for the Galaxy, but the other is fighting for something almost more powerful, a man's soul. You literally watch Anakin's be destroyed, while his best friend and wife watch and can do nothing except try and kill him. It's really a gut-wrenching thing. I know I get teary watching them fight, even before Obi-Wan strikes the final blow.

20. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    What was originally planned doesn't really matter now, does it? "The Duels" is what we see in the movie.

Originally schmoriginally
    /LM

21. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Should "The Duel" be reclassified as "Yoda vs. Sidious?" Instead of "Obi Wan vs. Vader?"

No. The main thing is Anakin vs Obi-Wan duel. The saga is about Anakin/Vader. This is his transformation to the Dark Side. It is the most important thing in ROTS.

22. yodaboyman

yodaboyman Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2005
    i think that it is only the duel because everybody wanted 2 no what made vader the way he was, and the power of the luke/vader relationship in the OT, i think that if sideous had been cut up by yoda and vader was fine it would hav been better for peace but he didnt:(

23. jedibri

jedibri Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2000
    On a personal note I didn't like the way the Yoda vs. Sidious duel ended. No clear winner. I can't put my finger on it but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

24. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    the "Clear Winner" is the last man standing, or the Guy who holds onto his Power. and that is Palpatine. Yoda retreated because he knew he could not continue to match Force power with Sideous indefintely. Sideous was the More powerful. that is if you choose to believe the novel and your own weyes. and i do. I love Yoda , but the Sith's time had come.

25. dakinJmacwalker

dakinJmacwalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2005
    whoever asks this question needs to question their cudos as a star wars fan. "The Duel" will always be Obi Wan vs. Anakin/Vader over the hellish world of Mustafar because that fight truely chose the fate of the galaxy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.