main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should "The Duel" be reclassified as "Yoda vs. Sidious?" Instead of "Obi Wan vs. Vader?"

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthSithLord, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    These physical duels were just the gut wrenching beginning of the longer stragegic duels to come...[face_thinking]

2. sithrules70

sithrules70 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    is not your place to question other fans opinions about the movies.

and the yoda vs sidious duel is WAY more decisive to the fate of the galaxy because if yoda succeds then THE EMPIRE IS NO MORE.

3. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Should "The Duel" be reclassified as "Yoda vs. Sidious?" Instead of "Obi Wan vs. Vader?"

I agree that in the context galactic politics, yoda vs. sidious had much
    more direct effects.
    But the emotional ties from the audience are, by and large, with anakin and obi wan.
    2 protagonists slugging away at one another, very powerful stuff.

4. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    dakinJmacwalker posted:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    whoever asks this question needs to question their cudos as a star wars fan. "The Duel" will always be Obi Wan vs. Anakin/Vader over the hellish world of Mustafar because that fight truely chose the fate of the galaxy.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, plus this post doesn't even make any sense. Question their "cudos" as a star wars fan?
    WTH? 'Cudos' is not even a word, and the real word 'Kudos' means something totally different than this poster meant.

5. TheCRZA

TheCRZA Jedi Padawan star 4

May 29, 2005
    Not a real word, but a nice treat from back in the day.
    In the 80s, one of my english teachers used to give us
    kudos as kudos for getting things right.
    Ah, the 80s...

What was the question?

6. yoshifett

yoshifett Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 17, 2004
    No CRZA, I know what Kudos means, and it doesn't make sense in that sentence, even as slang!

It's praise. How can you question your "praise" as a Star Wars fans? You could question your devotion or credentials, but not praise.

7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    After having watched ROTS on DVD, I'm now even more convinced of the idea that it's "The Duels", not "The Duel". The climax of the movie couldn't have worked any other way, because these duels belong together. They complement eachother and would've been much weaker one after the other.
    It really is one battle being fought on two locations simultaneously.

Lucas is a genius
    /LM

8. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    The fate of the Jedi was already decided (99% died).

The fate of the twins, well, if Anakin turned and Obi-Wan died, Padmé either would have gone into hiding with the twins or pulled a Medea. Either way, I doubt they would have ended up with the bad guys.

The fate of the galaxy would have been okay if Yoda won his duel.

The fate of the Chosen One is pretty moot if Palps is dead. Anakin isn't exactly going to take over the Empire.

The only thing OvA has over YvP is emotional stakes.

9. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2004
    IMO I think the duel is still Anakin and Vader it was an emotionally powerful and action packed duel. What more could u ask for.

10. DON_QUITO12

DON_QUITO12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2005
    I think it was good that both duels took place at the same time, and I don't have any complaint the way it was shown in the film... It wouldn't have make any sense by just showing the duel between two best friends or brothers, when Yoda not only requested Obi Wan to kill Vader, but he also was going after the Emperor...

At the end, they were the only two surviving Jedi from The Great Jedi Purge... The only two Jedi characters we get to know after 19-20 years in the OT as great warriors and Jedi Knights... And they had to do something heroic before the time of their exile... It would be more frustating and so simple if the only duel was that of Kenobi and Anakin at Mustafar... Then everybody would have been wondering about Yoda encountering the Emperor, or doing something for the galaxy.

The only reason why the final duel is "so important" is because everybody wants to know how Anakin came up to that man-machine suit which we all know as Vader... And people are disappointed by just watching the duel during ANH between Vader and Old Ben...

But I care more for having a complete view of how things were dealed at that moment... I believe it is great...

11. COMMANDER76

COMMANDER76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2005
    Both duels are EPIC...hell even the Mace/Sidious duel has EPIC results attached to it.
    I guess we as the fans will classify what we personally consider, "The Duel" to be...
    I mean Lucas settles interpretations but we are free to classify the finished fights in any order we see fit.

Some may consider Obi-Wan Kenobi/Anakin as, "The Duel"...
    While others may opt for Darth Sidious/Yoda, Darth Maul/Qui Gon Jinn/Obi-Wan Kenobi or even Luke Skywalker/Darth Vader part 2 as tops in their ranking.

12. ticopuma

ticopuma Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 2, 2005
    QFT

13. angelicusdiablos

angelicusdiablos Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    Id advise you people not to waste your time or expend too much energy in asserting your beliefs on this topic. Its 100% a matter of opinion. The best can do state your favorite deul and provide a little explantion why. Just dont expect everyone to agree with you, thats all.

I personally like the MAul/Gin/Kenobi duel simply because it showed the Jedi/Sith in there prime. Ray Park just done such a good job.

14. jedi_jacks

jedi_jacks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 17, 2005
    COMMANDER76
    Both duels are EPIC...hell even the Mace/Sidious duel has EPIC results attached to it.
    I guess we as the fans will classify what we personally consider, "The Duel" to be...
    I mean Lucas settles interpretations but we are free to classify the finished fights in any order we see fit.

Some may consider Obi-Wan Kenobi/Anakin as, "The Duel"...
    While others may opt for Darth Sidious/Yoda, Darth Maul/Qui Gon Jinn/Obi-Wan Kenobi or even Luke Skywalker/Darth Vader part 2 as tops in their ranking.

C76, damn you're still kickin around! this might have been said before, but i thought the yoda / sidious duel was connected to the obi-wan / vader duel - GL sort of goes back and forth with force push face offs in both duels and with yoda retreating where vader continues.

i sort of combined them as one big duel overall - yoda and obi-wan against sidious and vader. it's a duel for the balance of the force.

but if i had to give only one of them the title, "the duel," it would have to be vader / obi-wan - only because we don't get to see everything that went on in the yoda / sidious duel.

15. TH421

TH421 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 22, 2004
    While it was necessary to see Yoda fought to a stalemate by Sidious, it was ultimately a sideshow to the Main Event of Obi-Wan confronting Vader, which is the real climax of the entire PT.

Don't get me wrong - I was delighted to finally see Darth Sidious prove he has a lightsaber and knew how to use it. But the Ani-Obi showdown was a much, much more compelling fight.

16. CJedi72

CJedi72 Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 29, 2005
    Seeing it in the movies, I loved the Yoda/Sidious duel more than the Anakin/ObiWan duel, probably cause of expectations for the later duel. But as I have watched the DVD a couple of times, Yoda/Sidious duel is alright now, and maybe not as good as I thought it was the first time I saw it. The Anakin/ObiWan duel has gotten better, probably cause my expectations have lessened, but that duel is definitely better of the two, but still missing more dialogue between the Anakin/Kenobi to make it great.

17. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    NO! The Sids/Yoda duel was great and I did prefer it at first glance compared to the Ani/Obi duel. Now I have had time to settle into ROTS and have seen it far too much the Ani/Obi duel needs to be the focus of the movie.

Any interaction in the duel that was highlighted as a weak point was made up for in some respects with the dialogue at the end of it on the lava bank. Should Ani of done better? should he have had more control of the duel? was the highground stupid? Yes to all of those points but still fantastic to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.