Should the EU follow George's new movies, mix, or ignore? *possible Ep2 spoilers*

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Nov 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    He's got a point. I think it was around the same time that Han was in school, and bel Iblis was there, and Han asked a question about one of the Empire's policies...like 3 years before the Empire ever came into being. ( At least. )

Why can't Greedo, a Rodian, have grown into adult on Tatooine, gone back to Rodia (because I recall there was a section in the story where he remembers hunting), became a guntzel for Jabba the Hutt and met his head when he threatened Solo?

It has to do with his memories ( he only remembers being on his jungle homeplanet - away from Rodia ) and the timeline of events. Greedo is 19 as of ANH. The one seen in the TPM DVD is around Anakin's age at 32 years before ANH even happens.

That's the main problem. So, IMO, it's a matter of tying them together without disrupting the original intent of Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina OR the TPM DVD. So I think of it as Greedo's father ( which he never knew - he was later killed by Navik the Red. )

The cut scene still happened. It's in too many sources to ignore. And some of these "cut scenes" were re-inserted into the film. Such as the Podrace stuff and the Coruscant air-taxi sequences. And there's always the matter of "personal canon". For my personal canon, I have to rationalize an explanation, whether anyone else does or not.

2. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    Game designer and Crossbones author Haden Blackman on the Greedo situation, from StarWarsGalaxies.com

"Personally, I think this is one of those weird gray areas that I discussed in my continuity post a while back? As a basic philosophy, I?d say that the greater the audience, the higher the priority we can apply to the source. In this particular case, I?d argue that more people will watch the scenes on the DVD than will read the RPG sourcebooks or character guides. Lucasfilm Licensing is working with all the scenes and trying to fit them into the continuity, and I?m confident that there will eventually be some logical explanation as to why Greedo is seen on Tatooine as a kid."
  3. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Maybe the Endorsers for an empire were talking about there ideals 3 years before the empire came into being. Like say hitler and the nazi's talking about there ideals before they even decided to take over the world.

In which case han was just asking about the movement than an actual empire.
  4. Shara Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok trying to use the C word, I want to take a stab at explaining the cut scenes. According to Steve Sansweet, because I asked him this at Wizard Con about the C word, he said that cut scenes that are readded to the movies are truths. He said the movies are always right, but George Lucas has shown he can even change those. Although the cut scenes in TPM were not totally readded to the movie, I guess it's really up to you what they mean to you.

Wow I got through that post without saying it. Cool!
  5. Matthew Trias Force Ghost

star 6
    "Personally, I think this is one of those weird gray areas that I discussed in my continuity post a while back? As a basic philosophy, I?d say that the greater the audience, the higher the priority we can apply to the source. In this particular case, I?d argue that more people will watch the scenes on the DVD than will read the RPG sourcebooks or character guides. Lucasfilm Licensing is working with all the scenes and trying to fit them into the continuity, and I?m confident that there will eventually be some logical explanation as to why Greedo is seen on Tatooine as a kid." "

No biggie IMO.Let the movie audience think that was Greedo.
  6. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    How about it was in fact the real Greedo? That doesn't blatantly contradict anything in TFMEC. Maybe Greedo's age in that novel was based on Rodian years, not Standard years.
  7. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    Er, I don't think that would work. I have the planetary data on Rodia from the Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide and it wouldn't double Standard Time in years.

It's Greedo's father named Greedo. It's the only way I can see it working, until LFL has it's own idea.

Edit - This can also explain the Greedo bio in Galaxy Guide 1 : A New Hope 2nd Edition that doesn't match the Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina Greedo at all. This Greedo was a semi-succesful hunter with many kills in Mos Eisley and other sectors of space.
  8. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Well, maybe not Rodian years, then, but the years of the jungle planet on which Greedo spent a lot of his life, which has yet to be named, IIRC.
  9. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    Hmm, it could work. The problem is, Greedo doesn't remember ever being anywhere else. Then Navik the Red attacks and they flee to Nar Shaddaa. It then says something like, "8 years later, Greedo and his family were still on Nar Shaddaa"...then Vader and the stormtroopers attack those Rebels in the city...and Greedo flees with Dyzz Nataz and Spurch Goa to Tatooine, where soon after he takes up his first job againt Han.

It's just hard to fix this. About as hard as "Hoth Stuff".
  10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Maybe Greedo has amnesia, or his memory was forcefully wiped from him.
  11. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    Why is it that amnesia or memory wipes are always the default for a continuity fix? ;) "'Hoth Stuff' is Luke's bad bacta dream!" LOL.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.