Should the fanfic forum be split up?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JediGaladriel, Feb 1, 2003.

?

Should the fanfic forum be split up?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2003.
Yes--there's too much traffic for one board and stories are being overlooked. 425 vote(s) 78.7%
No--I prefer the fanfic forum to be unified, so all stories get the same chance. 115 vote(s) 21.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus

star 5
    The "Reply-only" is the current stories board. I'll probably call it "Classic Stories Forum" or something like that.

The "Welcome" is a sticky thread, not a header, but pretty much. I assumed that the links to the indexes would be there, and the indexes themselves would be here. (And yes, A_S, it would include any other useful link.)
  2. Sara_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 7
    That's alot of sticky threads for each forum. Won't that be confusing?
  3. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Counts

There's going to be only about maybe 3 or less sticky threads for each board. So I don't think that would be confusing.

Btw, when these new boards are put up are the current stories going to be moved or stay put until they are finished?
  4. Melyanna Jedi Master

star 4
    The new stories index will be maintained by me, not by the individual authors. (The format I was trying to draw up earlier is the format that I would like people to use in the first posts of their stories, though it's not mandatory - just something useful for me.) I don't want the monthly index to be in a sticky thread in each board, because I plan on having a separate thread for each month, then compiling that month's thread into one master list. I'd also like to have the monthly threads in the actual stories boards, as Julie did (after all, there are a lot of authors who are rarely in here, and I don't think it would be too much of a hassle to have one active index thread a month in each stories board), but if that's not okay, I'll keep it here.

Mel
  5. JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus

star 5
    That's alot of sticky threads for each forum. Won't that be confusing?

It's only one sticky thread per forum--the Welcome thread, which will include links to any indexes that are going on. The others are just up in the header links (the ones above that say "Fan Fiction Archive | Official Handbook and FAQ | Official Story Index | The JCF Grammar Hotline | The Writer's Lounge | Interviews with an Author | Winter 2002 Fan Fiction Awards | Forum Search" etc).

EDIT: I'm working on Saturday (wasn't originally, but I was asked to come in), which in turn means that the split business will occur in the evening, probably fairly late.
  6. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    That's probably a good thing for me too JG. I have a housewarming on what was going to be 12.00am Saturday on the boards (but in reality is Saturday night here).

As for the indexes. I'd rather see a single

"Welcome to the forum" thread on each board. That thread will encompass....

Links to the main index for that board/all boards (whichever is decided on). Links to other useful threads/pages and indexes and perhaps even a link to each mod's PM or profile page (although we have that at the top too - so it may be redundant).

To me, the WR can really stay the same at the moment.

Kithera
  7. Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I'd also like to have the monthly threads in the actual stories boards, as Julie did (after all, there are a lot of authors who are rarely in here, and I don't think it would be too much of a hassle to have one active index thread a month in each stories board), but if that's not okay, I'll keep it here.

Hmm, the way Julie operated is going to be different from now. This is solely my opinion, but I think it?s a good idea to have the master index in the WR and maybe a monthly story index floating around in each board (non-sticky). To allow people to keep up with it, there could be a link in the header. Then as the month ends, that thread could be discarded and another one created, thus the link in the header would have to be maintained and edited. I know that we don?t want too many sticky threads floating around, so this is a compromise. If no one likes it, then both the master and the monthly indexes should probably stay in the WR. Users are already asking if it'll be confusing, and I think we have to cut down on the long details and focus on the simple, for now.

Oh, and I?m free anytime on the weekend. These next few days are going to be slow.

Links to the main index for that board/all boards (whichever is decided on). Links to other useful threads/pages and indexes and perhaps even a link to each mod's PM or profile page (although we have that at the top too - so it may be redundant).

Good idea, Kit. I would also like to see links to our profile and such. This may be a strange request, but is it possible the ?Community? thread link could be placed in there? I know it?s not something typically included because it?s a social thread.

Am [face_love]
  8. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, I was going to have a Genre index and a Character index here in the WR. However, I was thinking about it yesterday and thought that updating it everyday is an overkill. I mean, it's supposed to group stories according to characters and genre, right? So, if we have a story in each genre and each character everyday (NOT going to happen, but to get my point across), then what we'll have is a duplication of the montly story index. Hence, I think I'm going to update the two indices at the end of every week (Saturday or Sunday).

I too think that having the monthly sticky indices in the story boards themselves is going to be a good idea. I, myself, haven't come to the WR until a couple of months after I got here. :)

Aunecah
  9. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    I knew that the forums would be split up. However, it's not clear as to the nature of the split up. Can anyone clarify it?
  10. Princess1 Jedi Master

star 4
    In the list of abrebiations you forgot a really common one AU for alternate universe.

Anyway, I have a question. I the fanfiction writers resource I run the Han and Leia resource thread, and one of the Han and Leia fans there, 'Tara' said something about were suppossed to start it over? I am really confused by this, I hadn't heard anything about that, how would my resource thread be influenced in this way by the spliting of the boards? (sorry if I sound stupid, I'm just confused. :p) Because either I didn't know about it, or I was given wrong information.
  11. JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus

star 5
    It wouldn't be influenced in any way at all. You could add a link to it in the new Saga board, maybe "Beyond the Saga" as well. The current stories aren't being moved, so there would be no URL changes unless the authors decide to move them. New stories from the new boards would be indexed in whatever way you're indexing them.

I knew that the forums would be split up. However, it's not clear as to the nature of the split up. Can anyone clarify it?

They're splitting along the lines of the current sticky thread indexes at the top of the story forum.
  12. jacen200015 Force Ghost

star 4
    I've sort of been avoiding this thread but i do have concerns.

How are the story threads going to be moved? Do the authors have to move them?

What is going to happen to the main fanfiction forum excactly?

Should i double check my stories are saved before the split?

What should i do about the reviews i got for my stories if i just make a new thread for my stories? i really don't want to lose the reviews.

Will i still be able to post and read stories while this change is taking place?

How long will this split take?

Sorry for all the questions i'm just kinda nervous about this split.

13. Jaded Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay, for someone who has not been keeping up with this debate/rule making- what should someone do with this oncoming split if they have a fic already in process. I am sorry if this is redundant, I cannot seem to find the answer and I don't want to lose my story. Thanks. :)
  14. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The board is going to be split tomorrow? Wow :eek: How is it going to be split again? I wasn't involved too much in the conversation here.

~aeryn
  15. JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus

star 5
    People who have fics already in progress don't have to do anything, nor will the stories be moved. The current forum will remain open in a "reply-only" mode, which means that current threads can keep going as they are. If the author wants to move a thread, s/he can copy and paste it into the new forums, and lock the old thread, but it's not necessary. The new forums will host all new stories.
  16. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    As there is only a limited amount of time left before the split of the fanfic forum, it has been suggested that a short thread be started to address some questions about the upcoming event.

Please note ? not all the links are updated or current. Some new threads have yet to be posted and will be after the split takes place.

Why will there be five fanfiction boards?

The idea of splitting the boards is not a new one. A poll was posted by Jedi Galadriel in early February and the idea was approved. The split is a trial run for six months. The five categories include.

The Classic board ? the original fanfic board. This will become reply only once the split happens?

The Writer?s resource ? For all your fanfic questions and social gatherings :)

Pre-Saga board ? For anything that takes place before the start of TPM

Saga board ? For all stories that take place between TPM and ROTJ movies.

Post-Saga board ? For anything that takes place after the end of ROTJ

Will I still be able to post and read stories while this change is taking place?

To the best of my knowledge yes you will still be able to reply to your stories on the current boards while the split happen. However, if this isn?t the case then don?t shoot me.
    :p

How long will this split take?

The trail run is for six months in order to see whether or not having multiple boards has helped such things as the rate in which fics move from page one.

Will my story have to be moved?/Will it be moved automatically?

No. Moving stories is completely voluntary and can really only be done by the author. Stories will not be moved automatically or by the moderators and instead must be reposted, post by post, to the new board in which the story belongs. Threads will not and cannot be moved to the new boards either. To repeat, this is entirely voluntary and is up to the author to choose whether or not to move their fic.

What should I do about the reviews I got for my stories if I just make a new thread for my stories? I really don't want to lose the reviews.

Unfortunately, if you decide to move your current or previous stories across there is no way that you can move the feedback unless you post it yourself. However, as the original board will remain, it could be a good idea to put a link from your reposted story to your old story so you can easily find all your old reviews.

What will happen to my current story? Can I continue posting?

Of course. The current board will become reply only. This means that no new topics can be started, but that current stories can be finished.

What is going to happen to the main fanfiction forum exactly?

It will become a reply only board in which no new topics can be related, but existing topics can still receive replies. Once all stories within that board are finished then the board will become inactive and eventually read only.

Should I double check my stories are saved before the split?

As an author I?d always recommend saving your stories and making sure that they are saved in more then two places. However, nothing above normal caution is needed when the new boards are put in place. Nothing from the old board should be lost or deleted.

Will I lose my story on the old board?/ Will the old board be deleted?

No. The old board will remain and house all the original fanfics posted on the boards. This board WILL NOT be deleted or pruned and so there is no need to save feedback or reviews for anything other then the usual precautions against Real life and the stupidities of computers. ;)

What if I don?t know where my story should go?

Then please see the thread in the Writer?s resource entitled ?Where does my story belong?? or simply click [link] here [/link]

Who will be looking after the new boards?

There are three fanfictions mods and currently all of them will be keeping a close eye on all five boards. Their profiles are here.

[link=htt
  17. JediAlly Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay. You can see in my signature the fanfic that I'm currently working on and posting. It makes sense to keep it where it is, rather than repost everything in the new forums. My question - since you said the current forums will be in "reply-only" mode, can I continue posting sections of my fanfic in the old forum, or am I going to have to move to the new forums.
  18. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    since you said the current forums will be in "reply-only" mode, can I continue posting sections of my fanfic in the old forum, or am I going to have to move to the new forums.

Reply only means that no new topics can be made in that forum. Existing stories can still be responded to with both feedback and new posts.

Kithera
  19. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I have another question. You said the old board will be in reply mode only. Does that mean we can't edit our fics anymore after posting?

~aeryn
  20. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    You said the old board will be in reply mode only. Does that mean we can't edit our fics anymore after posting?

I'm fairly sure that you will still be able to edit your posts after posting.

All reply only means (to the best of my knowledge anyway) is that no new topics can be created. Other then that life shall continue as normal on that board.

Kithera
  21. Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Yes, it is my impression that you are able to edit. Just to demonstrate a point, has anyone visited the Census board? Only mods can post topics on that board, but normal users can reply and edit their posts are they see fit. That?s how the ?Classic Stories? forum will run. So just like Kit said, the original board will remain exactly the same, except you will not have the ability to create new topics. And just to reiterate, you don?t have to move your fanfic anywhere after the split ? it can remain where it is. Though if you choose to move it and are not sure which forum it should be placed in, PM a mod.

No fanfiction will be lost in the split. This is like moving a couple of books from an overflowing shelf into a new one for organisation. However, if you?re concerned for your fanfiction?s safety, by all means save to it MS Word.

As Kit said, no matter how much time passes the original fanfic forum will not be pruned. I remember JG saying that when all the fics are completed there, it will become an ?Inactive Forum?, like the ?Big Brother? board has become.

Princess1, I?ll go and clarify in the H/L fanclub, also.

Am [face_love]
  22. Melyanna Jedi Master

star 4
    Umm, I don't mean to sound incredibly picky here, but the first thing I thought when I saw "Classic Stories" is classic trilogy - I know most people call it original trilogy, but to cut down on any possible confusion, is there another name we could use? :)
  23. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Hey Mely.

It's a term I saw JG use and thought it was semi-appropriate.

Perhaps - Original Board might be better in terms of cutting down confusion.

Hugs
    Kithera
  24. AERYN_SUN Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    thanks Kit' and Ami :D

~aeryn
  25. Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I believe ?Classic Stories? is more appropriate than ?Original Stories?. Personally the latter not only implies ?Original Trilogy?, but presumes the stories there are original, and that the fanfics in the other forums are not.

Suggestions are welcome :).

Am [face_love]
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.