main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should the fanfic forum be split up?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JediGaladriel, Feb 1, 2003.

?

Should the fanfic forum be split up?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2003.
  1. Yes--there's too much traffic for one board and stories are being overlooked.

425 vote(s)
    78.7%
  2. No--I prefer the fanfic forum to be unified, so all stories get the same chance.

115 vote(s)
    21.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    That's why I suggested Original Board (rather then original stories). However, the reasons you cited Am is the reasons why I liked Classic stories to begin with...

Maybe...Ye Olde Fanfiction board...

Having said that suggestions are definitely welcome :)

Kithera

2. Lady__Skywalker

Lady__Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2002
    I like Ye Olde Fanfiction Board.

'Tis cool!

3. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I like Ye Olde. [face_mischief] I have another question. All boards have brief descriptions of their purpose - what will the brief description of our Ye Olde board be? Or the others, for that matter. :)

:)

4. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I have a question about the new forums.

Will we be getting new banners for each forum? We've been treated to the current for awhile.

I thought I'd ask because I've noticed alot of the other forums here on the boards have their own banners. They even have banner contests and such. *hint* ;)

5. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks, Kit - I didn't mean to cause a big problem, it's just that CT popped into my head immediately.

Sara - I think the last time the idea of an original banner came up, we decided to wait until the board splitting business was resolved. Of course, this may be a figment of my imagination. ;)

Mel

6. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    We didn't actually decide anything. We just got sidetracked on a couple of things. One thing I'd wanted to wait for was the current fan art challenge, which is fic based, but it hasn't had a lot of responses, so I guess that's not an issue. Getting a new banner is something of an event, and it takes more than splitting the forum to do it, but hopefully, yes, we'll get banners eventually.

7. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Ah, okay - somehow I got it in my head that we were waiting to see what would happen with the boards. Never mind. ;)

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    *Pulls out Ukelele and starts singing "Aloha 'Oe" to Ye Olde board.* ;)

9. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    All boards have brief descriptions of their purpose - what will the brief description of our Ye Olde board be? Or the others, for that matter.

I didn?t realise there was a demand for another sticky thread on the original forum. However, I supposed one could be placed above the current ?three era? sticky threads, stating the purpose of the forum and giving the necessary links. As for what descriptions will be given on the sticky threads, that is up to JG, who will be writing them. I imagine they?ll be general.

In reference to the banners, we?ll see how that pans out. I think it would be a great to have an individual banner of our own ? however, it is a big step-by-step process.

Am [face_love]

10. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    I'm a little confused- what are the boards being split up into? Are they like the Before, During, and After the Saga stickies? (yes, i'm bad...i'm not participating... ;) someone willing to answer my question by either pmming me or just posting here?

11. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    In the words of Kit...

Why will there be five fanfiction boards?

The idea of splitting the boards is not a new one. A poll was posted by Jedi Galadriel in early February and the idea was approved. The split is a trial run for six months. The five categories include.

The Classic board ? the original fanfic board. This will become reply only once the split happens?

The Writer?s resource ? For all your fanfic questions and social gatherings

Pre-Saga board ? For anything that takes place before the start of TPM

Saga board ? For all stories that take place between TPM and ROTJ movies.

Post-Saga board ? For anything that takes place after the end of ROTJ

Am [face_love]

12. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    I haven't been going through this thread, so this may have been asked already, but with the split tomorrow, do we as writers have to go through and repost our fics to the new part of the thread where it is appropriate, or how is this being handled?

~~Jilly

13. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    I hope some of my previous posts on the last page will answer that question, JD. Don't worry about the 'edit' bits, just focus on other stuff.

Yes, it is my impression that you are able to edit. Just to demonstrate a point, has anyone visited the Census board? Only mods can post topics on that board, but normal users can reply and edit their posts are they see fit. That?s how the ?Classic Stories? forum will run. So just like Kit said, the original board will remain exactly the same, except you will not have the ability to create new topics. And just to reiterate, you do not have to move your fanfic anywhere after the split ? it can remain where it is. Though if you choose to move it and are not sure which forum it should be placed in, PM a mod.

No fanfiction will be lost in the split. This is like moving a couple of books from an overflowing shelf into a new one for organisation. However, if you?re concerned for your fanfiction?s safety, by all means save to it MS Word.

As Kit said, no matter how much time passes the original fanfic forum will not be pruned. I remember JG saying that when all the fics are completed there, it will become an ?Inactive Forum?, like the ?Big Brother? board has become.

Hope that helps :).

Am [face_love]

14. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Since the split was announced I've kept track of post numbers in the stories forum so that in six months when the fate of this split is decided for good there'll be something quantitative to go by.

Here is the traffic recently. I've logged the number of posts at midnight (my time not board time). As you can see, I fell asleep early one night. ;) :p

Fanfic traffic stats:

(dates are "morning of")

Date

(total posts)

March 03 - 685,079
    March 04 - 685,956
    March 05 - 686,885
    March 06 -
    March 07 - 688,485
    March 08 - 689,258
    March 09 - 689,910
    March 10 - 690,612
    March 11 - 691,553
    March 12 - 692,106
    March 13 - 693,000
    March 14 - 693,753
    March 15 - 694,554

Posts per Date

March 03 - 877
    March 04 - 929
    March 05 - 800
    March 06 - 800
    March 07 - 773
    March 08 - 652
    March 09 - 702
    March 10 - 941
    March 11 - 553
    March 12 - 894
    March 13 - 753
    March 14 - 801

Over a twelve day period this averages out to roughly 790 posts per day.

During this same time the average number of posts to the entire JC was 10,890 posts per day, (determined from checking the daily stats) meaning that fanfic makes up (on average) 7.2% of all posts to the JC.

What does this mean? Well, nothing at the moment. However, in six months it'll be possible to look at these stats and determine whether the split has aided the growth of fanfic, stifled a thriving forum, or basically made no difference in the actual numbers.

15. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    I don't know if this has been said before or not and I don't know if I'm overstepping my boundaries with this or not but I think it would make a LOT more sense to divide the boards up between classic trilogy and prequels. That's where the bulk of the fics are written. Most people are OT fans or prequel fans. That's where their favorite characters come from. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone but me, but it's my two cents and I figured I'd toss them into the pot.

16. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I just did a quick analysis of three random pages, and counted 33 post-saga, 27 saga, and 15 pre-saga.

So about 44% post-saga, 36% saga and 15% pre-saga.

I think the busiest board will be post-saga, pre-saga the quietest ... but on the whole, they're pretty even as it is. There are heaps of NJO fics out there, and the pre-saga is balanced by the many JA fics.

17. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    The thing is what is popular now might not be popular in six months from now.

I can remember when prequel fics outweighed every other fic on the board. Now the NJO stuff does, but it won't be that way forever.

It makes sense to split the boards this way as it means that intertrilogy fics will be able to be placed there rather then being half in one forum and half in the other.

Kithera

18. SHADOW13

SHADOW13 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2003
    How would it be split? :confused:

19. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    It'll be split into Pre-Saga, Saga, and Post-Saga SHADOW13.

20. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    wait a minute, should there be a thread for series? I happen to like to write series and i have one that will go from before TPM to after NJO

21. Mistryl

Mistryl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2003
    I have to second that, I also write a series. Through the entire saga.

22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    PLease for the love of... not "Ye Olde Fan Fic Board"... "Classic" sounds much less cheesy...

23. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    *casts his vote for "Ye Olde Fan-Fiction Board"*

So when will the actual split take place today? How long?

*Wonders if he'll see the response before the split* :)

24. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    I have to admit "Ye Olde Board" was actually written up as a joke and something to get the board rolling.

I write a series as well and I personally was planning to put each story into the board in which it belongs and link to the last one from that.

If your story comes in an epic form (ie. one thread/story that spans generations) then I'd suggest picking the biggest time frame it covers and putting it in there.

See the thread in the WR about "Where does my story belong" for more help :)

Kithera

Edit - Ty-gon. I believe that JG is splitting it sometime this evening (board time).

25. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    This is the updated Frequent question thread.

PLEASE READ THIS TO SEE IF YOUR QUESTION IS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED

Ahem. Sorry for shouting. I've paraphrased a few replies and added the new questions asked.

As there is only a limited amount of time left before the split of the fanfic forum, it has been suggested that a short thread be started to address some questions about the upcoming event.

Please note ? not all the links are updated or current. Some new threads have yet to be posted and will be after the split takes place.

Why will there be five fanfiction boards?

The idea of splitting the boards is not a new one. A poll was posted by Jedi Galadriel in early February and the idea was approved. The split is a trial run for six months. The five categories include.

The Classic board ? the original fanfic board. This will become reply only once the split happens?

The Writer?s resource ? For all your fanfic questions and social gatherings :)

Pre-Saga board ? For anything that takes place before the start of TPM

Saga board ? For all stories that take place between TPM and ROTJ movies.

Post-Saga board ? For anything that takes place after the end of ROTJ

Will I still be able to post and read stories while this change is taking place?

To the best of my knowledge yes you will still be able to reply to your stories on the current boards while the split happen. However, if this isn?t the case then don?t shoot me.
    :p

How long will this split take?

The trail run is for six months in order to see whether or not having multiple boards has helped such things as the rate in which fics move from page one.

What is going to happen to the main fanfiction forum exactly?

It will become a reply only board in which no new topics can be related, but existing topics can still receive replies. Once all stories within that board are finished then the board will become inactive and eventually read only.

All boards have brief descriptions of their purpose - what will the brief description of our original board be? Or the others, for that matter.

I can?t yet say for sure. However if I understand the question correctly it should read.

Classic board (original fanfiction board) - This board contains stories started from the fanfic boards first creation in 1998 until the 15th of March 2003.

Pre-Saga board ? for stories before TPM

Saga board ? for stories contained within the timeline of TPM ? ROTJ

Post-Saga board ? for stories that are set after the end of ROTJ

I?d concur that a new thread should probably be started in the original board (the one we have now) that contains information about that board and why it has become reply only etc.

Will we be getting new banners for each forum? We've been treated to the current for awhile.

To summarise JG?s answer . Hopefully we will be getting a new banner soon.

Will my story have to be moved?/Will it be moved automatically?

No. Moving stories is completely voluntary and can really only be done by the author. Stories will not be moved automatically or by the moderators and instead must be reposted, post by post, to the new board in which the story belongs. Threads will not and cannot be moved to the new boards either. To repeat, this is entirely voluntary and is up to the author to choose whether or not to move their fic.

What should I do about the reviews I got for my stories if I just make a new thread for my stories? I really don't want to lose the reviews.

Unfortunately, if you decide to move your current or previous stories across there is no way that you can move the feedback unless you post it yourself. However, as the original board will remain, it could be a good idea to put a link from your reposted story to your old story so you can easily find all your old reviews.

What will happen to my current story? Can I continue posting?

Of course. The current bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.