Should the fanfic forum be split up?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JediGaladriel, Feb 1, 2003.

?

Should the fanfic forum be split up?

Poll closed Mar 1, 2003.
Yes--there's too much traffic for one board and stories are being overlooked. 425 vote(s) 78.7%
No--I prefer the fanfic forum to be unified, so all stories get the same chance. 115 vote(s) 21.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    Who's going to transfer all the stories????

What about ONGOING works???

This will be something that'll need to be dealt with if the forum is split.

As far as I know, IGNBoards don't have the option of transferring threads between forums. I'd imagine that current stories would either continue where they presently are, or that they could be re-started by the author in a new forum.
  2. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    I vote yes, split them up, also in the timeframe like in the story index. But I'm sure people would be against restarting their stories, especially if their works in progress are far into their stories. Are you sure IGN dont transfer threads between forums? Even ezboard and proboards do that!
  3. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    JG could say for certain, but I'm positive that since we moved from UBB, mods haven't had the ability to move threads.
  4. Lyta_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    I agree and feel it should be split up, stories are constantly lost in the traffic. I know from my own experience, that less than ten minutes after I post an update to my story, it is buried three pages back, and I can't find it, I am sorry, but I don't feel that the writers should have to be constantly checking to see what page their story is on and 'upping' it every hour or so, if we are doing that, we wont have the time to write our stories.

This is just my 2 creds worth of thinking.

Jaded
  5. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Threads are stuck where they are. There's no thread-moving feature now, and I doubt there will ever be one.
  6. Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Then you'd be blocking stories that took place before or after the movies. I doubt the NJO writers would like not having a post-movies category!

My bad JG . What I meant was a board for PT Trilogy era , one for OT Trilogy era, and another for intertrilogy stories. So any JA stories go inside the PT one and any NJO go inside the OT one, and any stories that include both of them can be put in the Intertrilogy one.

Aunecah

7. JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I think it would still be confusing--I hear OT, and I think ANH-RotJ; I wouldn't think to include post-RotJ stuff in it at all. If I were looking for Luke after RotJ, I'd be looking for "Post-RotJ" sorts of categories.

Also, the two trilogies become more and more entwined with each other all the time, and fanfic writers are way ahead of the curve on merging them. It just seems very, very destructive to separate along those lines. A good, solid thirty-five year period covering the time the movies cover, with pre-TPM and Post-RotJ eras on either side of them, seems to be a lot more in tune with the way the story works, and the way stories written within the story would fit. The saga is a unified whole, and I think that fanfic tends to recognize that much more clearly than the rest of fandom, and to write in the continuum of that story.
  8. Greesha Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think it's a good idea if there aren't too many specific categories, because that could get confusing and annoying.
  9. Jez_3-14159265358979 Jedi Master

star 4
    I believe that the Fac Fiction should be split up chronologically. There are some concerns tho: What about stories that cross over different eras. For example; I know of a few that are prequel /OT era. How will these sorted?

Jez
  10. Angel_Skywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I don´t like the idea of splitting up generally, because now you can find a new fic from a chatagory, which you usually don´t read, just by chance.
    Over and abovethat, how do you want to split up. I agree, that the chronological splitting could be difficult.
    Imagin the following situation, you have a fic, which plays inter-trilogy and post-trilogy. You decide for one chatagory and the peaople, who reads the other one, don´t even know that it exists!

Angel
  11. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    That's why if the split went ahead having sticky indexes at the top of the thread would be a good idea - that way people could find stories/look at stories in other forums.

Most of the concerns that people are raising (where should fics go, what about that family feeling and so forth) have already been answered by JG and several other people (including me in my post several pages ago). Stuff like that has already been sorted/thought out as to the consequences.

Kithera
  12. Saber-of-Light Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the split is fine, as long as it's by "eras" like the indexes are right now. I only read post-ROTJ stories, usually. If every author was persuaded to post their story in the indexes, then you could split the forums. Personally, I haven't gotten many new readers.
  13. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Ive had just one repeat viewer and a couple of one post comments, which is why I think splitting them up helps because its narrowing down the number of fics in the fan fiction section.
  14. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    I think the split is fine, as long as it's by "eras" like the indexes are right now.

But what if you have a story like a crossover that does not take place in the PT, OT, or EU era. Then what would you do?
  15. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Give us the plot thread and which characters are in it.

Kithera
  16. ViariSkywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    If it's a cross-over, then it will either feature characters from Before the Saga, Beyond the Saga, or just during the plain old Saga. There's nowhere else, because those three categories cover all Star Wars history.
  17. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    ViariSkywalker is right.

If it involves a young Obi-wan kenobi (around 15) travelling to Earth then it would be under the current indexing system a Pre-Saga story.

If it involves Luke and Leia after the rebellion becoming crew members in Farscape then it would be put in the Post-saga index.

This is really no different.

Kithera
  18. Jedi_Liz Force Ghost

star 6
    I would probably be for this, but a few months ago. Plus, with some stories being AU or Crossovers, I think that would be even more confusing.

I have no problems upping my fic once in awhile. And I usually have loyal readers who find it and bring it out of page 5 or 10 or whatever.

If there was different board software, it would be a lot easier, but we're stuck with snowboards.

I didn't vote either way.
  19. ViariSkywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Exactly, Kithera! I believe the case-by-case questions have really all been answered. JG has answered many times throughout this thread. For newer participants and voters, I'd suggest reading through all the previous posts before posting questions that have been answered. (I mean, you still can if you want, but I thought it might be easier to look through the previous arguments.)
  20. LadyPadme Manager Emeritus

star 5

There's been the argument that if you want to find stories from genres other than the ones you normally read, that having the story index will help; but, while I put my stories up there, I don't actually use this as a resource. I like flipping through the pages and checking things that show up in front of me; once in a while, I get a happy surprise reading a story in a genre I wouldn't normally read. If I have to check an index or check in another thread, I'm not going to take the time to do it, and I'm sure a lot of other people won't, either. I have DSL, so I can't complain about the time it takes to load pages, but over the weekend I was at my parents' and was back on slow-modem, in which it took a minute or more to load a single page. There is no way I would wade through different threads if I had that kind of internet access. It's just too much trouble. I think that this split will actually hurt authors who would have had accidental readers through the current system.

21. Herman Snerd Force Ghost

star 6
    I think that this split will actually hurt authors who would have had accidental readers through the current system.

This has always been one of the strongest arguments against a split.

However, the forum is simply moving so fast that dedicated readers are having trouble keeping up with the stories they are reading.

In less than a day an updated story can fall past page 5 (at 50 posts per page) if none of its readers notice it and reply. Authors upping their stories can alleviate this a bit, but also makes the forum move even faster.

While it's probably inevitable that a few "accidental" readers might be lost because they're off looking for a story in a different forum, there is also likely to be more readers who find new stories (and authors) they are interested simply because each of the multiple forums will move slower.
  22. Kit' Manager Emeritus

star 5
    You are still going to get accidental readers. It's not like once the board was split (if it happens) that people won't venture out of the one place to read stories. I would have said people will get more accidental readers because stories will get more 'show time' on the first two pages rather then being shunted to page four in under two hours.

On the contrary, with smaller forums moving at a slower pace people are more likely to get more and not less readers. Just because the forum is split doesn't mean that people will stop browsing the pages at all.

As for Au's the same applies to that of cross-overs. Using the current index system at the top of fanfic, as an example. If your AU is about how Bant becomes Qui-gon's padawan rather then Obi-wan then it's going to go in the pre-saga stuff. Same as if your story deals with Anakin Solo never dying - it's going to go in the post-saga.

The indexes worked out fine. People use them to categorize stories and nobody really has any issues (that I've ever heard about) in choosing which story goes where - who says this is going to be any different?

Kithera
  23. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I vote yes for most of the reasons already stated. There are a lot of stories being over looked and some good ones just sink to the bottom because the authors are little known or are newbies
  24. Lyta_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 2
    I wanted to give an example of how quickly a story can get lost. So I upped one of my own stories at 1550 EST, now five hours later, it is at the bottom of page three. I have never had many readers of my stories, because I don't take the time to go through and 'up' my story, because I would rather spend time writing them. So how many people would have enjoyed my story, yet because of the speed at which this forum moves (not that this is an entirely bad thing) they don't get it because in a matter of hours it is several pages back.

Now as for how it is set up, I think it should be done both chronologically and catagorically. i.e. PT - encompassing the Prequal trilogy, OT - encompassing the Original Trilogy, EU - encompassing the Expanded Universe, Intertrilogy and AU.

Just my 2 creds worth.

Jaded
  25. JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus

star 5
    No "EU," please--we don't want to have any implication that people are bound by it.

What's the big deal about separating PT and OT? It's a really bad way to try and split.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.