main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should the Imperial March be added to A New Hope?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Demon_Lord_Piccolo, Apr 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demon_Lord_Piccolo

Demon_Lord_Piccolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 22, 2001
    I think it should be added in just a couple of scenes. I don't think it should be used throughout the whole movie, though.

2. Boba_Phat

Boba_Phat Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2000
    I don't know, I kind of like it the way it is for some reason

3. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Nope, I don't think it should be added. Aside from Vader's first apperance, there really aren't any scenes in the film where inserting the Imperial March would be appropriate.

4. Fatboy_Roberts

Fatboy_Roberts Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2000
    No, I think the original Imperial motif from ANH should be used for the majority of the Republic and Empire scenes in Episodes II and III. It'd be the perfect music for the end of Episode II to lead into the end credits, and wouldn't make ANH look like the musical odd man out

Peace,
    Fatboy

5. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    Nope. I don't think it should be. ANH's Imperial Theme is good enough for it. ImpMarch would seem out of place.

6. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Nope, no real reason for it, I don't think.

7. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Most of you guys just said "nope" and left it at that. Well, as for me, I also will say "no, it should be left out", but I'll try to back it up:

Here's the deal- in ANH, nothing is personal. We're being introduced to a whole SLEW of new characters or older versions of characters. The struggle is not between persons as in ESB and ROTJ with Luke and Vader and the Emperor and trying to turn Luke to the Dark Side and all- it's the Rebel Alliance vs. the Empire. It's not Vader trying to goad or seduce Luke, and it's not father vs. son yet, it's just the Empire (with the Imperial motif) vs. the Rebels (with the rebel fanfare).
    You see, ANH isn't just Vader in control as in ESB or ROTJ- it's stormtroopers tracking down Luke and Ben, Grand Moff Tarkin interrogating Leia and destroying planets, Star Destroyers blowing up ships, and the Death Star. In ESB and ROTJ however, Vader calls the shots. HE tells the fleet to go to Hoth, HE leads the snowtroopers into Echo Base, HE orders the Star Destroyers into the asteroid field, HE masterminds the plan of capturing Luke, and HE tells Luke that he is his father. I could say the same thing for ROTJ mostly, but I think you all get the point.

lol, I hope that made sense. :D
    Comments would be appreciated!

~Sithman~
    the sithiest J.E.D.I. around!

8. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    It makes perfect sense, Sithman. :)

9. Stargasior

Stargasior Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2001
    No!!
    Keep the OT alone. There is absolutly nothing to change in them!

10. Grand Moff Joker

Grand Moff Joker Jedi Master star 4

Oct 13, 1999
    I agree with Fatboy Roberts. Rather than stick the Imperial March into A New Hope for the sake of continuity, how about taking the Imperial Motif and selectively inserting it into appropriate scenes in Episode II, and especially Episode III? My thoughts about this issue have always been that maybe if a young Tarkin is featured prominently in Episode III, perhaps the Imperial Motif could serve as a foundation for his personal theme, which would tie in nicely with A New Hope. That way, those who watch and listen to the Star Wars Saga in order won't suddenly be confronted with a recurring phantom motif (LOL!) in A New Hope that isn't heard anywhere else before or after.

11. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    ANH is a great movie as it is. Look what happened when they decided to mess with it before--we get Greedo shooting at Han. ANH's score is wonderful already, and adding the Imperial March is not necessary.

12. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    I don't think the Imperial March needs to be added to ANH, but there is no way that it won't be used in Episode III. Everyone will be expecting it for Vader's first appearance.

13. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    No, I like it the way it is. No need to add it anywhere. You never really see the might of the empire in ANH other than a few stormys and the death star, so I donlt think it would be appropriate.

14. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    "You never really see the might of the empire in ANH other than a few stormys and the death star, so I donlt think it would be appropriate."

No, ANH showed the might of the Empire perfectly, and the Imperial motif fit those scenes well. It was the power and importance of Vader that we didn't get to see until ESB, and for that we got the Imperial March.

15. Miz

Miz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    On the subject, imagine what would have happened if JW made an imperial march out of that original empire/stormtrooper motif!

It's quite hard to make such a bombastic tune from that calmer cue.

16. Cindé of Naboo

Cindé of Naboo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2000
    I agree that it should not be added, for the same reasons that Sithman described. Vader does not really become the driving force behind the Empire until ESB, and the ImpMarch really is his theme, as the personification of the Empire's evil. It simply wouldn't fit in ANH. And as for everyone expecting it in EP III -- I really, really hope JW does something completely unexpected. That's what makes him so great. I really, really hope he uses the Imperial theme from ANH to bridge the musical gap between prequel and sequel. I don't know how he'd do it, but he must do something incredible, because he is a genius, as his music has proven thus far. I don't want him to just recycle old themes as everyone might expect; I want him to create new themes to tie into old themes and completely knock our socks offf. And he will. :D

17. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    *applause* Yay! Beautifully put CON!

~Sithman~
    the sithiest J.E.D.I. around!

18. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Don't change the OT more than it already has been changed. I still prefer the pre-SE films

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. SockCabbie

SockCabbie Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 8, 2001
    No it isn't! :D

("This is just contradiction!"
    "No it isn't."
    "Yes it is! An argument is a collected series of statements to prove a certain position, not the automatic gainsaying of the other person!"
    "No it isn't."
    "Yes it is!")

20. Wolverine

Wolverine Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 1999
    It's great as it is!

21. MyStory64

MyStory64 Jedi Grand Master

May 20, 2001
    Personally, I don't think adding the march theme is the problem, most people really just don't want Lucas messing around with an already good thing (I.E Williams music). The problem with this topic is the question of "inserting" themes, just look at the special editions, alot of fans are really put off with Ben Burtts re-tooling of the score in the added scenes, or Williams adding a new Celebration ending; to an even lesser extent there is also the constant "looping" of the Duel of Fates theme during the final minutes of TPM, which can be a distraction to fans and films buffs alike (most joe-schmoes don't really notice that stuff until after it is pointed out). So, if Williams decided to get the itch to rescore the films in a more cronological order, would that be any better? Nope, because with the extreme in-fighting that would erupt between fans aside, it sure does seems like an awful lot of work on Williams and ILM's part to make a complete set of films feel exactly that, complete. All this talk of re-doing this and re-scoring that is really just a bunch of people trying to make linear sense out of peotic language. The Star Wars films are great fun, but they aren't the meticulously detailed six-part saga that Rick McCallum would have us believe. They are a mish-mash of fun concepts, grand-nostolgia, hard-work, and innovative technological improvements; and in-between all that are "poetic" stories, tales that aren't ground into stone, etched from on high. They can be retranslated, and reinterpreted a millions times, and they are written this way on purpose. 20 years of creative freedom aside, Lucas did this so that the movies can relate to anybody, anywhere, they are basic fundamental concepts wrapped in a really pretty bag, and outside of all that, tying them together in a VERY nice bow, is John Williams music. At times it feels as if nothing in this saga has been written in any particular order save his music, and it bugs some of us. It bugs because there are those that want everything to fit in a perfect numerical timeline, and his tunes definatly give the impression of that; they "speak" to us during moments of silence, whisper themes and anthems long-gone, or still to come. They are beautiful and terrifying, haunting and opratic... basically his music kicks butt. It doesn't need to be re-tooled, or tinkered with, but I guarentee you that if new footage is added to any of the films in the future, you will need MORE music. Cut and Pasted tunes work for fan-films but StarWars is the big-show, and if you find any new scenes being added to the rumored "Final Editions" don't be surprised if new John Williams music can be found as well, perhaps even, the Imperial March...

22. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    There is one place the Imperial March could work in ANH. Remember the unused music for the beginning of Luke and Vader's duel at Cloud City in TESB? (Known as "Vader's Trap" on the TESB:SE soundtrack, disc 2) Use it at the beginning of Vader and Ben's duel, just as the drums from the original segue piece fade out. From around 6:55 on the track to 7:34 ought to do it.

23. Jenkwombat

Jenkwombat Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2001
    Please don't monkey with ANH. It's the closest thing to a perfect movie that I have ever viewed. It's fine the way it is. The Imperial March would change the style and rhythm of it.....

24. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    i think they should have hints of it when they show vader, i mean they played it in tpm in anikins theme... but i do like anh the way it is but if they were to change it, i'd still love it just the same.

25. SilentArtoo-Detoo

SilentArtoo-Detoo Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2001
    I should be in ANH and it will be in ANH!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.