main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should the Imperial March be added to A New Hope?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Demon_Lord_Piccolo, Apr 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Nah, as much as I like the Imperial March ANH should not be tampered with ever again, in any way, shape, or form.

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Actually, besides all the other points here, I think having the Imperial March played yet another DOZEN times in a Star Wars movie COULD get old after 6 of them. When viewed through all 6, it will be very refreshing to hear the Imperial Motif and the Stormtrooper Motif in ANH. :)

3. Switch

Switch Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2001
    The Imperial March must be added!

4. Darth Gleng

Darth Gleng Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 17, 1999
    Just in the scene at the beginning when Vader walks into Leias ship...nowhere else :)

5. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Nooo! You canNOT beat that gong when he walks in. Awesomeness.

6. Darth Gleng

Darth Gleng Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 17, 1999
    Nonononnononononoooo!! I didn't mean replace the gong!! That's the best!!

I meant just after that...after he has a bit of a look around and walks off!

Instead of "baaaa baaaa babaaaa baaaa babaaaaaaaaaaa" have a short blast of vaders theme :D

7. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Maybe some hints, but nothing IN YOUR FACE.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Oops, double post.

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    No, for two reasons:

The Imperial March is, in addition to being Vader's personal theme, also personifies the might of the Empire at it's height-they seemed unstoppable and impervious in TESB. Not the case in ANH. They build a battle station the size of the frickin moon, and get what? One rebellious planet, twenty or so fighter pilots, and an old Jedi in exchange for said moon-sized battle station and a lot of dead stormies..whereas in TESB, the Empire got it's act together and whupped arse 24/7.

Also: ANH is a very subtle movie. Lots of hinted-at stuff, (Vader's/Obi-Wan's/Luke's real relationship, etc.) which the Imp March-about as unsubtle a piece of music as I've ever heard, is quite unsuited for.

10. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I think the fact that the person who started this thread and has upped it several times using socks is a notorious troll says all that needs to be said about the idea of the Imperial March being added to ANH.

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I found the Imperial music in ANH to be slightly abrupt and disjointed. I only recognize it as the blare of trumpets every time something Imperial is mentioned or shown. I'd love to see the Imp March in ANH.

12. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    What scene would flow with the music aside from the opening sequence?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I think when Obi-Wan is telling Luke about how Vader betrayed and murdered his father that we should get a gentle rendition of Vader's theme instead of the weird Imperial motif from ANH.

It's just so strange once all 6 films will be done if all of them use Vader's theme except for Episode 4. While I love the ANH score and think it is a piece of cinema history, I often wonder if it should not be tweaked a bit for viewing all 6 films in order.

14. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    I worry more about changing the score than changing certain scenes. JW tailored his ANH as he saw fit and I must admit that it was a great match. As good as IM is there is a chance that it will not fit into ANH.

15. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I say it should, but then I'm a big "mess with classic movies" fan. I loved the SEs and all that.

16. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    Switch = SilentArtoo-Detoo = SilentFlash = C-3POAndSilentR2-D2 = Flash = barry.

This topic = spam.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  18. Angel_Blue01

Angel_Blue01 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2001
    Should the Imperial March be added to ANH?

Yes, on the DVD. Maybe not in the movie itself, but at least as additional supplemental footage.

19. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    why should it be added??? i dont think it should...

20. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999
    There is a little piece of the March theme in Episode II. With that said:

Hmmmmm....I think ESB should be the first of the episodes with the full blown rendition of the Imperial March but if Lucas wants just a tad of the theme to appear with ANH I don't see how that will negatively impact the Saga.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Dolphin that is a spoiler. Please do not post AOTC Music spoilers here.

22. kornknealious

kornknealious Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2001
    Lucas already screwed up ANH with the special Ed. Why make things worse?

Besides, Its called: A New Hope. Not an old dispair. If the Imperial march was added, even just a few notes, the whole tone of the film would be brought down too much.

It was scored just perfectly. There is absolutly no need to screw it all up.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    But you have to admit, if watching all six films in order, Episode 4 will sound odd being the only one without the Imperial March... after all, the Empire plays a huge part in ANH.

The solution is for Williams to revive the Imperial themes from ANH for use in AOTC and or Episode 3. Then musically it makes sense.

24. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    ANH IM thread.

Riiise.

25. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Repost from Ogmios22188:

I was just wondering if you guys think that the absence of "The Imperial March" in A New Hope makes sense. I think that it can, but it requires some thought. In the prequels so far, it has been used mainly for foreshadowing. It's heard at the very end of The Phantom Menace, and in "The Tusken Camp", "Confrontation with Count Dooku" in Attack of the Clones, as well as at the very end of the film. I'm not sure how "The Imperial March" will play out in Revenge of the Sith, since there's not much left to foreshadow: The Empire has been born, Anakin Skywalker has become Darth Vader, and the Jedi have become extinct.

As for "The Imperial March" in the Originals, it usually involves the power of the Imperial Fleet such as in The Empire Strikes Back and, to a lesser extent, Return of the Jedi, or when Vader is really up to something devious, like in all of The Empire Strikes Back, or in relation to the Dark Side regarding Skywalkers, like when Vader tells Luke he's his father in The Empire Strikes Back and when Luke removes Anakin's helmet before his death in Return of the Jedi.

I think that the absence of "The Imperial March" in A New Hope can be explained, in an artistic way, like this: A New Hope doesn't deal with the power of the Imperial Fleet as a whole, Darth Vader's schemings, or the Dark Side in general, let alone its history with the Skywalkers. A New Hope, at least in the Rebels vs. Imperials/military portion of the story, deals soley with the Death Star, which is why I think that the little variations of that Imperial theme that we only hear in A New Hope will remain and makes sense. Also, if the Death Star is in any way featured in Revenge of the Sith, I hope that this theme is used in some way. If "The Imperial March" is used instead, it will be harder to reconcile its absence in A New Hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.