Should the Imperial March be added to A New Hope?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Demon_Lord_Piccolo, Apr 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    BTW: If the IM was added to ANH, I would love it(as long as it was done in an appropriate way, which I'm sure it would be).
    However, when I'm watching the film, I usually never think about it for a second.
    So, does it need to be in the movie? No. Should it be in the movie? Sure, if that's GL's decision.

"RE: the sith" rules
    /LM
  2. Neil_S_Bulk Jedi Knight

star 1
    when Anakin becomes Vader, the IM could step in as the official theme for the Empire, because Vader is the head figure of the Imperial Army

If he's the head, why does he follow Tarkin around like a bodyguard and follow orders given by Tarkin? Simple, because Vader is not the head of anything until Empire, which is when we should hear The Imperial March for the first time.

Neil
  3. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    You misunderstand me. Darth Vader is the outward face of the Empire. Whenever someone thinks about the Empire, it's his face they see. He represents the oppression that the Empire practices.

TPM is when we should hear the IM for the first time, BTW. We do, too.

Personality is the key to art
    /LM
  4. Charth_Maul Jedi Master

star 4
  5. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Knight

star 3
    TPM is when we should hear the IM for the first time, BTW. We do, too.

Which is fine because it's a quiet rendition, and therefore an example of subtle foreshadowing...as opposed to foreshadowing with say, a sledgehammer. ;)

ttbk
  6. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    I agree. I would agree wholeheartedly with you guys if the march rendition of the IM hadn't been in AOTC. Now it is, though, so it must be treated as the main theme for the Empire.
    However, as I said, the IM does not need to be in ANH. That episode is about hope for the good guys and the Empire loses in it. When they strike back in the next episode, it's fitting that the IM also strikes back.

Star Wars is a saga
    Watch and believe

/LM
  7. masterjedi343 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    hello everyone i am from the jedi council fourms and a padawan in training and im hoping that i may find recruits(i need 5) if ur interested you can go here. may the force be with you

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=15638311&start=18265373
  8. The-Tennis-Ball-Kid Jedi Knight

star 3
    And why in the name of Jerry Goldsmith do you think you'll attract people to your club by spamming up our thread? Go away. Shoo!

ttbk
  9. Charth_Maul Jedi Master

star 4
    "I didn't want Vader to be all-powerful. In the first film it was very easy to make him some kind of superhero. But I decided not to do that. In fact, he is one of the Dark Lords who is working for the Emperor, and he has to do the Emperor's bidding. You will see at some point in the future that the Jedi have the same relationship to the Republic; they're like public servants, they're like marshals or policemen. They basically do what they're told to do. They're not independent agents who can do whatever they want. In the case of the Jedi, they work for the Republic, and in the case of the Sith Lords, they work for the Empire. So I obviously didn't want to make Vader to weak, but I didn't want to make him so he was in charge of everything. That's why I had Tarkin in the first film, although he was more of a bureaucrat."

-George freakin Lucas
  10. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
  11. Charth_Maul Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks.

I'm not as much of a purist as some, but honestly, ANH is far too classic to begin changing up. Straight from the horse's mouth, Vader wasn't supposed to be the primary guy in charge, but rather the henchman like figure. Thus, the IM doesn't NEED to be in ANH, though would be nice if used sparingly. I can think of one, count it, one scene where the IM really ought to go, and that's when Ben Kenobi makes reference to Luke's father in his hut. But with Lucas, it would be all or none, so if I have to choose, I say none.

It's already a masterpiece.
  12. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Try this:

How about having Lucas insert the Imperial March in ANH for the next Special Edition, and he can give the rest, but also release DVDs (or whatever the best home video is at that point) of the original originals. That way those silly purists who don't want Lucas messing with the music can find themselves in the same camp as us "silly" folks who think Han shooting Greedo before the green guy had a chance to even squeeze the trigger was one of the coolest, character-definind moments of the trilogy (and therefore shouldn't have been messed with), not to mention the "silly" folks who think seeing Vader's shuttle arrive in ESB totally interrupts the great flow of scene and music that once existed.

But seriously, as I watched ANH the other night with a friend who'd never seen it, I noticed the hint of ANH's "imperial theme" as Obi-Wan talks to luke about Vader in the hovel. It struck me as yet another argument in favor of the ESB IM in ANH. If, as some of you have argued, ESB's march is more personally identified with Vader, shouldn't THAT music play as Ben reminisces, rather than the "stormtrooper march" from the rest of ANH? Just curious to hear other people's thoughts.
  13. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    with Lucas, it would be all or none

Hi, Rick! How's the producing going?

Wow - Rick McCallum is here!
    /LM
  14. neo_mp5 Jedi Master

star 4
    "Maybe some hints, but nothing IN YOUR FACE"

this is how i picture it.

the scrolling title goes by, the main theme ends, and it's quiet for a bit

then the rebel fanfare sounds (as it does currently), and the currently boring music played after that is replaced by a full imperial march. there shoul be a hint of it after vader boards the blockade runner, and again when the conference room on the death star is first shown. but that's all it needs.

but they should put the existing imperial theme into the other episodes somewhere.
  15. Rogan_Agar Jedi Master

star 4
    Add the Imperial march to ANH!!! This would create great continuity!

They should also incue a scene on Coruscant in which palpatine dissolves the senate and maybe a scene on Dagobah!

ANH is lacking epic proportions. It should be reedited and extended.
  16. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Leave.

ANH.

Alone.

Greedo was bad enough.
  17. neo_mp5 Jedi Master

star 4
    episode 4 is missing 2 things that the others have: imperial march and darth sidious.
  18. Neil_S_Bulk Jedi Knight

star 1
    Which is probably why I love it so much. It's different and unique from all the rest.

Neil
  19. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    The three seconds of the Greedo change may be bad, but they don't erase the other changes that were almost all great. They also don't change the oddness of not having the IM somewhere in the film.

20. jadailyTCU Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think the Imperial March, at least some versions of it, should be added to a couple parts of the film. I also think that adding Anakin's Theme to Return of the Jedi and Duel of the Fates (and possibly even Battle of the Heroes) to a few parts of the original trilogy would be good.
  21. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I feel ANH should be preserved as original as possible. It should serve to remind us exactly why we fell in love with the trilogy/6filmologything. Change all the other films as much as you want, George, but ANH is a pop culture icon, enshrined in our collective consciousness. It is great in its original innocent form. It needs no forboding of the other films. I want to be able to show my kids ANH as it was when GL had no idea it would be as popular as it is, not with the Imperial March blaring out the orginal crappy Imperial motif, not with CG Jabba's tail getting troddon on, and not with a more PC Greedo shooting scene.
  22. Cerrabore Jedi Master

star 4
    Star Wars is a masterpiece in most every sense - storytelling, editing, music, sound, and special effects. There's nothing episodal about it, despite the inconclusive ending in which Vader survives (we're led to believe he spins off into oblivion). So far, the attempts to incorporate elements from the other films, the other EPISODES, have been extremely awkward (the same is true for Empire and Jedi, but only because the new elements were incorporated badly, and could otherwise have fit well).
  23. sidious618 Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm all for adding stuff into the movies but I don't think the IM needs to be put in. However, to make an informed opinion I'd need to see how it is with it.
  24. neo_mp5 Jedi Master

star 4
    i've tested duel of the fates with episode 5 footage, i might eventually test imperial march with episode 4. there are only 2 places it would work without interrupting too much.
  25. mybad4990 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I would like to see some one try to implement the IM in ANH,and let everyone vote on wether it was good or not.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.