main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should the Jedi have been a secret society?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by HaloWithStyle, Jul 14, 2015.

1. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Instead of being like a public police force that work directly with the Chancellor and the Republic would it be better if they were more mysterious and had a hidden secret temple on some far away planet instead of in the capital? I think it would've been better if the Jedi were secret peace keepers whose existence was thought to be only a myth by most other beings in the galaxy.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why do you think it would be better?

3. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    The real problem with that situation, IMO, would be resources. Where would they get accurate information about the conflicts taking place on the trillions of planets in the galaxy? Where would they get the money to support themselves, let alone travel around the galaxy helping people. I don't think it would be sustainable unless the number of Jedi was very small.

4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    JFK said it best:

"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society; and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and to secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweighed the dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today, there is little value in opposing the threat of a closed society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the survival of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it. And there is very grave danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment."

Jesse Booth likes this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No, I don't. If they were even more closed off than they were shown they likely would've bred more fear and ambiguity. There's plenty enough as is.

6. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Well if the Senate knew of them and had reps informing them of everything.

I just thought they were too public and well known instead of mysterious and legendary. It's just something I thought of now, I've never had an issue with how it is in the PT.

7. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    To the averge citizens of the republic they were mysterious and legendary. They are in a huge galaxy and the jedi never seemed to number more then 10,000 according to some sources.

8. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Them being a "secret society" and closed off from the Republic would actually be quite inefficient if they wanted to be effective galactic peacekeepers. They can get a lot more done working in tandem with the Chancellor/Republic instead.

Gamiel likes this.
  9. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    The Jedi were insular and secretive enough in the movies. Its why the GFFA turned on them so readily.

10. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I don't see why the Jedi Order should have been a secret society. But I do believe it should have simply been a religious order, instead of getting mired into the politics of the Galactic Republic. It seemed that this connection to the Republic/Senate did not serve them well in the end.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But it did created a thousand years of interstellar peace, so... [face_dunno]

12. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The Jedi were a somewhat secret society and it backfired.

mihaitzateo likes this.
  13. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I thought the Jedi had considered themselves "guardians" of peace . . . on behalf of the Senate.

Everyone seemed to know about them.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I don't follow what you are saying, can you explain, bitte?

ShaneP likes this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    No.

The Jedi were guardians of peace and justice for a thousand generations.

If they were secret and had no standing then they couldn't get anywhere near as much done as they did.

16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

But why would it be better? The organization you suggest acts like it's in hiding, not a symbol of peace and justice in the old republic. Are you just saying the state of the galaxy beginning in Ep 1 would be different?

Gamiel likes this.
  17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Pros of being a secret society: Anonymous is kinda cool, in a batman, "hero of the night" kinda thing.

Cons of being a secret society: Sketchy. Gives me the feeling it's a cult, or they're up to some weird stuff...

18. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    In the SW universe presented in Episode One, it wouldn't make sense for them to be secretive. They were still regarded as a legitimate organization. I could understand them becoming secretive over time in the prequel, but only after they discover a Sith Lord runs the republic in ROTS.

zompusbite likes this.
  19. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015
    Being secretive and not answering to a democratic government are more akin to the Sith than to the Jedi. The Jedi were guardians of democracy, it would be incredibly hypocritical to do anything they thought best without any regards to the rest.

zompusbite and Gamiel like this.
  20. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Obi-Wan: Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic! To democracy!!

Obi-Wan Kenobi:
    For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire.

The Republic was a Democracy, and ideally, the Senate as part of that Democracy is the voice of the people. The Jedi, by aligning themselves with the Senate are aligning themselves with the voice of the people.

What this means is that by doing so, the Jedi's actions are a direct result of what the people want. Sure there will be a lot of beings across the Galaxy that won't agree with the Jedi or the Senate, but, at least the Jedi can say that they are serving the wishes of the majority.
    However, if the Jedi are not in service to the Senate (the voice of the people), and go around the Galaxy dispensing justice on their terms, then they are not guardians of peace and justice! They are vigilantes! They are dispensing justice on their own terms, and deciding by themselves who are innocent and guilty.

21. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Why would the Jedi go around the galaxy dispensing justice anyway? It shouldn't have been required of them.

22. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Because that's what the movies establish the Jedi do. Did you miss the quotes by Obi Wan at the beginning of my post?

Gamiel likes this.
  23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    True.

Now of course IF there was a situation whereby the galaxy was in chaos with no clear central structure to represent anyone then being a secret society might be the best thing to do and establish themselves as having no ties but create a reputation of doing the "right" thing.

24. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    The original Star Wars already established that they weren´t.

25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    If the Jedi were a secret society, then how would they be guardians of peace and justice. Can't really do any of that effectively while trying to be secretive.

Qui-Riv-Brid and Gamiel like this.