main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Should the Jedi only serve the Republic, or all people?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ghost, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Master Endz-One

Master Endz-One Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 30, 2017
    I think the Jedi should serve the will of the force, Jedi shouldn't care about pressure from any government and do what's right for all people. The felt a sense of obligation, after the Republic supported them in their fight with the Sith (Over 1,000 years ago ). I think being a part of the Republic put them in a bad position. I believe it was a mistake to be part of any government.

Sarge and Ghost like this.
  2. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    It's a hard call. They probably do need to serve, or/and in some ways be constrained by, the Republic government or in trying to help everyone without limits they could end up effectively ruling the galaxy.

It's probably ideal if they follow the Republic's laws but otherwise act independently, more as genuine negotiators, peace-and-compromise facilitators (and sometimes encouraging reform in and outside the Republic), rather than soldiers or even agents for one group or government even a big and good government like the Republic.

Well it was a pretty different context with there being so few but I'm not sure the latter is presented as clearly better. Yoda and Obi-Wan thought Luke helping and being in the Rebellion was good although not if it meant confronting and possibly being corrupted by the Sith, in RotJ Luke initially goes on the mission and I doubt he would refuse to help on others later against violent threats.

I don't think the Jedi often acting as vigilantes would make for a good condition or that Leia would approve of such when there were opportunities for negotiation. Even RotJ with Jabba Luke and Han initially tried negotiating, including willingness to pay Han's debt or more, and then broke out and defeated him to save their lives.

3. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    All people. When they became a part of the Republic governmentally, is when they were eventually corrupted

Sarge likes this.
  4. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    The Jedi are always on a mission to protect the innocent, although their allegiance to the Republic somethings supersedes that, like when Qui-Gon discovered the slavery situation on Tatooine and was basically powerless to help. The most effective way Jedi can help the people is through the government body.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.