main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should the live action TV show have the Star Wars "crawl"?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Banmeifyoumust, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banmeifyoumust

Banmeifyoumust Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    I have been wondering about this ever since it was announced that there would be a live action tv show. Should there be an opening crawl at the beginning of every episode, just like the movies?

On the one hand, it's something that makes Star Wars STAR WARS- it might not feel the same without it. On the other, it would diminish the impact that the opening crawls have in the movies.

What do you think?

2. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005
    Hell yeah. I never thought about it. I just expeceted it to be their. Don't tell me you heard something saying it won't be there.

3. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    i think it would make the show and EPIV tie in
    quit nicely.

4. Banmeifyoumust

Banmeifyoumust Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    Nah, I hadn't heard anything about it not being there, but it wasn't in the clone wars cartoon and I kind of liked it that way.
    Plus, we would see it 100 times, which I think its a bit much.

I would like to see storylines that last 5 or 6 episodes, and then move on to a completely different world/subject. As a whole, it would be about how the galaxy is reacting to the new empire, but they would be individual stories. If they did that, the crawl would actually be a really effective tool.

I don't know, I just think there is something awesome about seeing the STAR WARS symbol and the opening crawl on the big screen. To see it 106 times might take away from the effect.

5. ProphesiedChosenOne1

ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2005
    Maybe Lucas would just do it once and highlight the entire series.

6. Dark-Shady

Dark-Shady Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2002
    Maybe once at the begining of every season.

7. ArthurClavin

ArthurClavin Jedi Master star 1

Jun 23, 2003
    It would take up too much time. You must understand this, Banmeifyoumust.

The Clone Wars animated series didn't have an opening crawl and some SW fans claim that that series was more Star Wars than Star wars.

AC

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Including a crawl could become a runtime issue- unless they do it in favor of a title sequence.

9. jedi-master-kev

jedi-master-kev Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 22, 2005
    Thats an excellent idea rather to have every crawl on every episode. ;)

10. Palpy560

Palpy560 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2005
    I like that Idea.
    That way, on the DVD, you could watch it like a big movie if you wanted to.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The advantage to having an opening crawl at the start of every episode though is that it makes it more accessible to new viewers who come in mid-story arc and avoids the need for any "Previously, on Star Wars..." montages.

12. paul01

paul01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2005
    Yes, but one every episode is too much.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It'd only occur twice as frequently as the crawls you watch in the films ;)

14. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    in the new jedi order books they had, like a prologue every so often to outline what had happened in the series. I think they could you a similar idea for the crawl, to help new viewers.

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I think they should definetly have one for the first episode. Then, maybe at the beginning of each season or each major story arc. Like T2Q said, it would definetly become a runtime issue. A lot of shows, for example the Simpsons, wind up using shorter opening sequences when their episodes run long, so they can have more show. Personally, I want as much Star Wars as possible so the crawl, if it does exist for TV, should be kept to a minimum.

16. saq428

saq428 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 30, 2005
    I think having the crawl in
    the t.v. series would
    be a great idea.
    It would de-
    finatley
    make it
    star
    wars!

17. CountCuckoo

CountCuckoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2005
    I think once a season would be good

18. Tomtrek

Tomtrek Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2002
    Well the original Flash Gordon serials had the crawl at the beginning to recap the previous episodes, which is something GL took into Star Wars.

So maybe if you do multi-part episodes, instead of the usual "Previously on [blah blah blah]", they could have a crawl.

19. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I think once every season to clear up the cliff hangers.

20. KfistoRox

KfistoRox Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2002
    Hopefully one each season. :)

21. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    How about after every commercial break...

Seriously, I'd think once a season, or if there are different story arcs, only when a new story begins. I liked Clone Wars not having it. The movies are special and different and this is one of the ways they stand out.

Pretty much every video game has the crawl on it, and it gets kind of old.

22. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    One a Season or one every story arc.

23. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I wouldn't be surprised if each episode had one. Like previously pointed out the crawls were taken from the old serials so since we are basically revisiting that I think it would be a natural fit.

I wouldn't really worry much about time issues either. CW didn't have or need one since they were 3 and then 15 minutes a piece. Any kind of scroll would take up unnecessary time in those cases but if we are talking about a one hour show it wouldn't waste any more time then whatever "previously on" clips they showed. In fact it would probably take less time.

24. RevantheJediMaster

RevantheJediMaster Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    Not to sound like a know it all but the Clone Wars Volume 2 episodes were 12 minutes not 15 minutes I even made that mistake myself once too. The Clone Wars 3D Animated Series coming out in Fall 2007 is going to have full length 30 minute episodes. I don't think we are going to see the opening crawl every episode in the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series but I could be wrong.

25. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Eh, I was rounding. The point remains that both were to short to include any type of crawl yet a one hour show wouldn't have that same problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.