main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should the male skywalker line ever die out?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Gerdschroder, Oct 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yogacat

yogacat Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 6, 2014
    Huh? How exactly do you think bloodlines work?

Leia and her possible child are every bit as much Anakin Skywalker's biological bloodline as Luke and his possible child. And therefore arguably equally powerful and influential.The last name doesn't change that.

A compromise might be Kira Skywalker-Solo (depending on how Leia has come to terms with the whole Vader as her Dad thing).

DARTH_BELO and Dewback like this.
  2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Honestly, for a legacy the family name is almost more important then a bloodline.

starocean90 likes this.
  3. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    The Skywalker theme will probably be a big part up until at least EP9 (probably beyond). Assuming Daisy is Leias daughter, she may someday have offspring of her own. Let's keep it going.

Here's another bomb drop, what if Leia never married Han? Just had a kid with him? Is it Daisy Organa now? Or maybe to honor Luke she is Daisy Skywalker? Food for thought.

4. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Luke's a Jedi not a monk.....properly hit all kind of tail after the battle of Endor. Could be half a dozen Skywalkers running around

5. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    With that thinking there maybe several Kenobis around too!

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Some of them might even be Ewoks. What happens on Endor stays on Endor.

7. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    I'm okay with descendants having prominent roles here and there, and Leia and Han's kids or Luke's daughter would be just as genetically legitimate as Luke's son (patriarchies, royal bloodlines... bleh). But I don't see the appeal or the point of a Skywalker-in-name aristocracy.

8. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Anakin obviously didn't inherit his father's, but his mother's name. Otherwise he would have been Anakin Midichlorianson, it doesn't sound so good.

9. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    And thus the age of Ewoks end and the age of Hobbits begins...

BigAl6ft6 and Bail B. Baobab like this.
  10. Gerdschroder

Gerdschroder Jedi Youngling

Oct 5, 2014

Go to Wikipedia and look up "Mitochondrial Eve" and "Y-chromosomal Adam". If Daisy Ridley is the only 3rd (or if you count shimi 4th) generation skywalker that would mean that the role of the patriarch of the skywalker clan would go to an outsider.

11. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    I could see the "Skywalkers" taking a backseat in the third trilogy and making a triumphant return in the next trilogy (Episodes 10-11-12).......would be interesting......

12. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I have long said that I hope "The Skywalker" becomes a mantle of sorts. Taken by a non-relative.

"I am the Skywalker, like the Skywalkers before me"

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I walk on the sky with my walker.

starocean90 likes this.
  14. mratm23

mratm23 Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2014

I'm still for making 13, 14, 15 before 10, 11, and 12. Then 16, 17, 18.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    People are terrifically fond of "reminding" other fans that "Leia's children are Skywalkers, too!!!"

As if these people - fans who have perfectly well-functioning brains - are somehow, I don't know... ignorant of this fact. :rolleyes:

And as if there isn't someone who always -- always -- says the very same thing, each and every time the question of carrying on the Skywalker name comes up in conversation. Always prefacing it by saying something like "people seem to forget that Leia's kids are Skywalkers, too." As if anyone who somehow missed this blatant and obvious fact ever could forget it. Yikes!

I'm not trying to be as confrontational as it probably reads on the screen, but I honestly just don't get it. In over thirty-five years, I've never once heard or read a single person suggest that only Luke and any of his kids would be a part of the Skywalker family.

Anyway, to that, I say (for about the one-millionth time), yes, because they would still be Skywalkers by blood, I'm very interested in seeing Leia and her children flourish.

But personally? First and foremost, I am a fan of Luke Skywalker. I've always liked Leia, of course, but Luke is my favorite character of them all.

And as far as Anakin is concerned, I liked him well enough as a character of the Saga (but Obi-Wan was by far my favorite of the PT/TCW era). And while any descendant of Anakin is of course still a member of the Skywalker family by blood, I'm much more interested in Luke's lineage, specifically, than Anakin's, more widely.

And unless something really, um... unseemly happened during that party on Endor, Leia's children (if she has any) will carry Anakin's lineage with them, but not Luke's.

I just want Luke's children to be a part of the new gang of heroes. What's so wrong with that?

So, yeah, I'm one of those fans who very much hopes to see Luke with children. And though by no means the only reason, one of the things which makes me hope Luke has a son is that because that son would probably mean a much better chance of keeping the family name alive. If Daisy is the lead character and playing Luke's daughter? Great! But I 100% hope that Domhnall, or Pip, or Adam, or someone is her brother, as well.

Because to me, when thinking of "Star Wars," the name "Skywalker" has always been at the very heart of things. One almost synonymous with the other. Watching the Skywalker name simply die-out is something I never want to see happen.

I'd much rather like to think that even when other new films (standalones, an Old Republic trilogy - whatever) take us in other cool and welcome directions, away from the family story of the Skywalkers, that even then, there will still be characters out there in the GFFA who are carrying on both Luke's lineage and the Skywalker name.

And then maybe one day, who knows? Maybe we can catch up with these unknown future Skywalkers at some point. And as D.A. McCoy mentioned, maybe the next one pops up as a bounty hunter (or a politician, or a Monarch, or a street-rat, or I don't know... a moisture farmer).

A new male Skywalker needn't be the be-all/end-all, through-and-through, absolute center of the ST. But it keeps the doors open and assures future writers of a full deck of options to work with. The opportunity to give us their version. Yes, by all means, tell us new stories with new bloodlines, as well. But why risk closing that door forever? What good does that do any of us?

16. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    Y chromosome. Only way to carry the genes that made Anakin Skywalker who he was.

Gerdschroder likes this.
  17. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I hope Cade Skywalker turns out to be cannon.......

18. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    Yes, the other 22 chromosomes apparently mean nothing. But Anakin's sex-determination chromosome must live on; it was everything that made him who he was!

19. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    Luke Skywalker is a one-of-a-kind, iconic character, and any further Skywalkers could only do one of two things:

A) Dilute his legacy by showing him up in a desperate attempt to win our admiration... "COME SEE THE MOST POWERFUL JEDI OF ALL TIME!!! HE'S 10X THE LUKE LUKE WAS, WE PROMISE!!!",

or

B) Be Luke-lite, an inferior duplicate of the original entirely reliant upon his connection to Luke to earn our regard... "Meet DUKE SKYWALKER. Looks like Luke, acts like Luke, has Force powers like Luke, shares the motivations of Luke, has Luke's name and even his blood! So if you liked Luke, you've got to like this guy... right?"

I'm not in favor of Abrams simply Xeroxing Luke Skywalker and serving him up to us as something different. I want a new, interesting hero with a fresh and unexpected backstory who does NOT invite immediate comparisons to Luke or anyone else. Luke 2.0 would be the laziest way they could possibly go with this, and fortunately I'm pretty sure they realize it...

20. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Wonderful post, Trebor! I feel exactly the same way about all of the above. I've said pretty much the same thing on these boards a while back, but you've said it way better than I did. I felt this great post deserved more than a simple "like"!

Yes, I'm very well aware that Leia' s children would be Skywalkers too. However, I too want to follow a child of Luke's into the future. As you said, Luke's descendants don't always need to be front and center in every story or even involved in every story, but Luke should have a kid so that someday when film makers or book authors want to include a descendant of Luke Skywalker in a story, one will be available. As you said, why risk closing that door forever when it wouldn't be that hard to give Luke a son in episode VII! even if it turns out that he doesn't play a huge role in that film?

21. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Not sure why a "patriarch" of the Skywalker clan is so important. We don't even know who/if/what Anakin's father was. So there is one father-son pair, Anakin and Luke. To me, it's the mothers who made sacrifices for their children - Shmi and Padme. In that vein, I see Leia as the mother of a Jedi, like her mother and grandmother. Whether Luke has a son is neither here nor there, IMO. He has a lot to pass on to other generations as a teacher. Look at those who influenced and nurtured him - Obi Wan, Yoda, etc... They were fathers to Luke more than Anakin. And that's they type of relationship I see Luke having with future jedi. Biological relationships can often be secondary.

Bob Octa likes this.
  22. Gerdschroder

Oct 5, 2014

I agree with ChildOfWinds. If i could rate this, I would give it 10/10. This is exactly how I feel. But a like will have to do. Thank you for this awesome post.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  23. Gerdschroder

Oct 5, 2014

First of all, don't worry. They have made it pretty clear that John Boyega and Daisy Ridley will play the main roles in the coming trlogy, and both of them don't resemble Luke.
    Second I don't agree with the scenarios you propose for Luke'd descendants. I would like it if John Boyega would be this wise Jedi master at the end of the trilogy. In episode 10 he could take on Luke's son (or the son of Luke's son) as his padawan who in turn would become what Anakin could have been if he hadn't fallen to the dark side and became part machine: the best Jedi of his time.

24. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

The product of Leia/Han would be a Solo. Sure, genetically he/she is as much a Skywalker as a Luke-XX offspring......but it's not really the same. IMO. If someone mentions the Skywalker line 0.00001% would first think of Han/Leia.

I hope the descendants, whoever they are, come out triumphant at the end of Episode IX.

25. Gerdschroder

Oct 5, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.