Should the OT scores be re-recorded?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Fat_Fett, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub
  1. Fat_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    This question came up in my head when I noticed after watching ANH recently that the opening fanfares (20th Century Fox, Star Wars main theme) sound very scratchy...like old vinyl records.

Of course, there are other scenes without music at all in them (Conference room, etc).

And then I started to question how "Ben's Death" was pieced together. We hear the Force Theme play when Ben looks at Luke and, deciding to show him the way of the Force, sacrifices himself. The music all of a sudden rushes into Princess Leia's theme when farmboy Luke screams "No!"! What the heck is that theme doing there? It is totally inappropriate for the mood of the scene. We're dealing with the death of a major character in the Star Wars PT, and after his death all we hear is some theme for a character who was just introduced in this film? I mean, the princess isn't even in real danger in the scene - she's just getting in the Millenium Falcon!

Perhaps when the OT DVD's come out, JW should rescore/re-record ANH. To my ears, it sounds very gritty in comparison to the quality of the ESB and ROTJ scores.

Keep in mind that it only sounds gritty when watching the film itself, not listening to the soundtrack.

Does anyone else share my opinion?

GK edit: Changed title from ANH to include OT. :)
  2. Twink_Kee Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "And then I started to question how "Ben's Death" was pieced together. We hear the Force Theme play when Ben looks at Luke and, deciding to show him the way of the Force, sacrifices himself. The music all of a sudden rushes into Princess Leia's theme when farmboy Luke screams "No!"! What the heck is that theme doing there? It is totally inappropriate for the mood of the scene. We're dealing with the death of a major character in the Star Wars PT, and after his death all we hear is some theme for a character who was just introduced in this film? I mean, the princess isn't even in real danger in the scene - she's just getting in the Millenium Falcon!"

According to the SE liner notes, this was done on purposed by Williams himself. He thought about using the Force/Ben's theme, but decided that Leia's theme would fit in better musically more than thematically. It was a trade-off.

And, IMO, ANH should not be rescored. Leave the Stormtrooper/Imperial motif in there.
  3. Jedi4Christ Jedi Master

star 1
    When Vader first enters the movie in ANH a strong version of the vader/imperial theme should have been added in the special addition, oh well, lucas loss.

-jedi
  4. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes, it should be rescored. The music from ANH is kind of different from the rest of the movies. You have to put the Imperial March in it, like when Vader enters the Tantive IV, and when the Falcon is getting pulled into the death star.
  5. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "When Vader first enters the movie in ANH a strong version of the vader/imperial theme should have been added in the special addition, oh well, lucas loss."

Good lord, NO! How can you beat that gong? The Imperial Motif there is soooo cool. You can put the Imperial March ANYWHERE in ANH you want for the Archival Editions, but NOT there. :mad:
  6. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    I read on the TF.N news site (I think) that there actually are plans to rescore ANH prior to the DVD release to make it more coherent with the other films, to add the Imperial March, etc.
  7. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    You mean so they'd release the trilogy AGAIN on VHS? What would that make- the 6th time?

Ugh.
  8. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    No, I meant the DVD release would have the rescored version. Sorry for the confusion.
  9. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Ahhhh, okay, that's what I thought was going to happen. :D
  10. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    There seems to be a difference of opinion here. rescoring vs rerecording

I think rerecording might be a good idea, but I really don't think it should be rescored. Wasn't this the only SW film to get an oscar for best score? (which means nothing I know cos the Oscars suck!)

The music in Ben's Death is superb, as is the Imperial music. I don't think the music should be changed, but it could be made to sound better with modern recording techniques
  11. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
  12. Telemachos Jedi Knight

star 2
    The music in ANH is so beautifully coordinated with the visuals (moreso than any of the other films, IMHO) that it'd be a real shame to rescore it and lose something.

It really is a visual symphony.
  13. Megadarth Jedi Padawan

But then there would be the chance of them hiring out a 2-bit 60-piece hollywood orchestra for the redo. It wouldn't match, and I'd hate to see inferior musicians messing up the hard stuff, especially the brass flurries Williams knew the LSO could eat up. Remember that release of ESB by Charles Gerhardt and the NSO? My goodness, did they screw up the "heroics of Han and Luke" track and any instance of background triplets like for the Imperial March sounded like a high school marching band. I wonder if John would have written such difficult stuff if he knew he wouldn't have a world-class orchestra to perform it properly. On the other hand....if they can get the LSO to do it, nah not even then.
  14. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yes they should. Get the LSO and Williams to go back and rerecord the scores I say! I hate the awful sound quality of the OT scores. And while they are at it, they can record new bits and cues to smooth over some of the editing blunders of TPM and AOTC...

15. bright sith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Rescore? From what I read on this forum, seems like it's going to happen, but I feel it is not necessary what so ever.

Rerecord? Maybe it's just me, but the score sounds great IMHO, especially for its age. Someone mentioned that this was an Academy Award winning score, and you know what, I would like this particular performance and score to stand along side with the movie forever. Plus, if you listen to the performances of the AOTC soundtrack, umm, I'd go with the much livelier performance of the "awful sound" of the OT.
  16. Imrahil2001 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah. Either way, I won't be buying the new ones. I'm happy with mine the way they are.

In fact, I'm still interested in finding a regular copy of the OST, prior to all the SE edits/expansions, because I happen to like that version better.

Ims
  17. Emperor_Dan Jedi Master

star 4
    If they do that, I see no reason NOT to rescore TPM/AOTC, because the films are done now. The problem with those two films was that the scores were recorded before the films were finished. Now the music can be much better :)
  18. dehrian Manager Emeritus

star 6
    If any films should be re-scored, it's TPM and AOTC. ANH could be complimented by a short addition of the Imperial March at one or two points, but the score should not need to be entirely re-recorded. TPM and AOTC, however, should be redone from scratch, given the heavily edited nature of their scores.
  19. jamesdrax Force Ghost

star 6
    "TPM and AOTC, however, should be redone from scratch, given the heavily edited nature of their scores."

Perhaps a few dodgy edits could be patched up but redone from scratch? I think that's taking it a tad too far.
  20. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    In fact, I'm still interested in finding a regular copy of the OST, prior to all the SE edits/expansions, because I happen to like that version better.

Ummm what edits and expansions? None of the SE soundtrack adjustments are on the CDs. The CDs are the way Williams recorded them.
  21. Imrahil2001 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Strilo, you seem to have some bug up your ass about my posts. You should read more closely and with comprehension before leaping on me.

Anyway...I was referring (if you had read my post) to the original soundtrack. It was arranged and spliced more pleasingly than simply "here's all the sounds from the movie with the dialogue and sound effects removed." That's really not pleasant to listen to, to me. I'd much rather hear these arranged into suites and tracks that meld into one another euphonically rather than based on stories.

So that's what I mean. And yes, the SE's are additions and subtractions TO THAT ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK RECORDING. Clear enough for you?

Ims

22. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    Re-recorded? I dunno... there's a special kind of energy about that score... not that the current Philharmonic's substandard at all...

Hmm.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  23. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Ok wow was not meaning to cause you to freak out. Nevermind I won't try responding to you anymore.
  24. bright sith Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Let's all play nice here....

Im, to respond to your likes, I would argue that you could do that on your own. If every score was released in full, then everyone would have the material to do their own kind of "best listening experience" CD, so the priority becomes for us to have all the cues. If we only had a CD that had a good listening experience but not the full score, then we're obviously missing cues. Of course, this is all obvious, and I'm sure you already knew this; it's just a logical explanation why these SEs are of superior quality.
  25. Fat_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    If JW was not to rescore it, then he should definately re-record some scenes (fox logo, opening crawl - both have very bad sound quality by today's standards).
Moderators: Darth_Nub
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.