main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should the OT scores be re-recorded?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Fat_Fett, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Imrahil2001

Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    Yeah, sorry Strilo. My dog whom I've had for 15 years died this week, so I'm a bit on edge.

Bright Sith:

What if I don't have editing software or the knowhow (or ability) to do it correctly? I guess I'd like both, too--but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd take a symphonic suite over actual frame-by-frame recordings. Seems more "musical" that way.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    That is all you have to say. I am very sorry to hear that. I know that must be rough. Hang in there. Sorry to have offended.

-Strilo

3. PruneF8ce

PruneF8ce Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Ive said this time and time again. ANH could use some tweeking.

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    *Yoda voice*

I agree

5. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Im, I think you expressed that preference before, and all I can say is that we strongly disagree with each other. I'll choose the "every note" version over a watered down "best listening" experience one anyday. The reason is obvious, the bigger release will have all the cues that are on the other one, but the reverse cannot be said. Of course, that doesn't even include other reasons such as understanding the entire composition a composer has choosen to write for a film and other reasons.

6. Imrahil2001

Imrahil2001 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    Yeah, I think we just have to go ahead and disagree on that.

It's comparable, probably, to something like the "History of Middle Earth" series that's come out after Tolkien's death. It's all of his notes, half-baked ideas, etc.

Frankly, I'm a huge tolkien fan, but I'm not in the least bit interested in this stuff that "didn't make it." I'd rather just read the final version, the cleaned up version--though it's shorter--and leave the scraps somewhere else.

Ims

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    But these aren't un-used scraps we're talking about here. They are integral parts of the finished score. Some of the BEST cues from ANH, ROTJ and TPM were left off the watered down hacked apart soundtracks. Only the full release in film order restored these gems.

8. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I agree that perhaps the LSO could be brought back to rerecord part of the score, but make it the original... None of this adding the Imperial March crap. It's perfect as it stands.

-Paul

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I still say yes it should be re-recorded and I have no issue with adding the Imperial March so long as it is tastefully done.

10. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Re-recorded? Yes.

Re-scored? No.

:)

[image=http://bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~

11. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Well, for the "archival" or "ultimate" editions of the saga there is some room for improvement.

Before I go further, let me preface this by saying that I would very much hope to have the original (pre-SE) OT released on DVD. I know this may not be what GL has indicated is going to happen, but it is possible!!

OK, I don't have any major complaints about the TPM score. AOTC could obviously have the Arena, end credits & other areas "fixed".

ESB & ROTJ are fairly complete thematically, and could use only a few minor tweaks (e.g. Emperor's Theme in ESB along with Ian :)).

ANH is a dilemma. There are many opportunites for "tying things together" with the rest of the saga. Remember that in 1977, GL didn't even know that he would get a chance to tell the rest of the saga, let alone have the entire story fleshed out. That's why he started "in the middle".

I for one would love to have GL tell JW to "go for it" and rescore ANH to reflect the entire saga. Just imagine what he might come up with!

We'll always have the original. Hopefully on DVD!! to go along with the final editions.

Is this too much to ask? Can we have our cake and eat it too?

12. UniversalDestiny

UniversalDestiny Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2001
    I think that some parts to Episode Four should be rescored. However, you can not and I mean can not replace the Opening music of the first scene when you first see Vader's Ship the Devastator chasing down the Tantive IV. I mean that's what sets the tone immediately.

Now maybe on the Death Star have some cues to the Imperial March and maybe during the mentioning of the Emperor in the Conference Room, hints of the Emperor's Theme.

But don't take out the Opening music to the Space Chase.

13. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    That would just be TOO good to be true, GK.

No...I'm just going to hope they clean-up the sound. Tampering with the score - a CLASSIC - is just too much to expect a good result out of, and thus, should simply not be attempted. Perhaps its thematic stand-apartness clashes with the other films; nevertheless, I still stand firmly on the ground that NO changes should be made...

( a bit antediluvian, but oh well)

14. Super_Nation_Jock

Super_Nation_Jock Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2002

It won an Academy Award for best score and launched SW into world wide consciousness.

Leave it alone, for the love of God,
    leave it ALONE. PLEASE.

15. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Somebody said that the Fox logo sequence and the like need recording. I disagree. For some reason the ANH performance of this sounds so much better than the newer ones. It actually has a grandioso feeling that really harkens back to the days of majestic cinema.

Wow that is 'reading between the cues' so to speak.

I think that the score is mostly fine, but could do with a little modifying, like scoring in silent scenes. The scene where Vader and Tarkin talk about Leia's resistance to the mind probe being considerable, I think, could do with some kind of cue similar to what we hear in AOTC when Dooku tells Obi-Wan to join him and together they will destroy the Sith (it's a reused one from TPM but I can't remember where it is then).
    Also I agree that Obi-Wan's death should have a slightly more powerful musical finish. Vader's death has that weak Imperial March (which I happen to think is fine), but at least it is a theme relevant to him (although I'd like to see a bit of Anakin's theme in there).

I think that a little bit of DOTF should make a vague appearance here and there in the OT, after all, it is a major cue in the saga.

Finally, JW should sit down and look at AOTC and compose something similar to The Arena (because we know it was used, but the running time meant more music was needed) to replace the TPM music.

16. Sapno Krei

Sapno Krei Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 23, 1999
    I think that the most that should be done to ANH is a rerecording of the Fox Fanfare and a brief insertion of the Imperial March.

Gah! If GL hadn't put the Imperial March in AOTC, its absence in ANH might not be so glaring. I would have rather had JW develop an Imperial motif/march hybrid to bridge the musical gaps.

17. Darth_Silenous

Mar 21, 2002
    Very good point you have there, Sapno .

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Coulda shoulda woulda... Well he did put the Imperial March in TPM and AOTC so yer gonna have to deal with it. Keep in mind that there is a LARGE amount of unscored scenes in ANH that Lucas may have Williams compose new score for. There are also some more non descript moments in the existing score that could be rearranged or modified. It's not the end of the world. Williams is a genius, did it occur to any of you that you should keep an open mind about this JUST IN CASE he were to compose something new that was even better than what is being replaced? Did you even consider that?

19. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Yes, yes, to stri you listen!

What if everyone had said after hearing Beethoven's 5th Symphony, "Well there's no way to top that."? We might not have those other four masterpieces.

I have great faith in John Williams. He now has 30 years more experience and many new themes to work with. I think he will leave many cues as they originally were (Binary Sunset), and improve in other areas. And some scenes work better with no music.

Now as long as GL doesn't go crazy editing...

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I have no doubt that most cues from ANH will be left intact. Only a few bits will be changed IHMO. The rest will simply score either SE additions or places with no score. Honestly I would be more excited about having a brand new high quality recording of this amazing score than of a few new bits.

21. Darth_Silenous

Mar 21, 2002
    Honestly I would be more excited about having a brand new high quality recording of this amazing score than of a few new bits.

Yes, stri, yes...

22. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    "Honestly I would be more excited about having a brand new high quality recording of this amazing score than of a few new bits."

Yah, you and I talked about this for a while on AIM once and I completely agree. :)

Of course, internet-man is always right.

23. Darth_Silenous

Mar 21, 2002
    Usually.

edit: 8-}

24. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Good lord! Another edit? :p

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001