main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should the OT scores be re-recorded?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Fat_Fett, Jun 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    NO!!!

It's an amazing score...Yes, if anything, it should be the same score, just a better quality.

Frankly, the absence of the "Imperial March" doesn't bother me...I LOVE that trumpet fanfare that is done each time we see the DS.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I would be up for a remix and remaster using todays technology... that might be enough. I want them to match the prequel scores quality, so if they cannot do that then I would like to see them re-recorded.

3. TenorAprentice

TenorAprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    didn't they do that for the SE release?

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes for ANH and ESB they remixed and remastered. For ROTJ they just remastered. Still, technology has come a LONG way since 1996 and I am sure they would sound much better today. Cuz the SE releases are great but the sound quality is crap. Even E.T.'s new one sounds AWESOME, so it shouldn't be hard to do...

5. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Should the ANH soundtrack be re-recorded? Hell, no!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Actually, none of them should, except for one. The scene in ESB:SE where it cuts from the Falcon leaving Bespin, cutting to Vader disembarking the shuttle. The Imperial March just jumps right in, and the cuts out again at the end. It's all very jarring...

6. Fat_Fett

Fat_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2001
    "Should the ANH soundtrack be re-recorded? Hell, no!

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Listen to the Fox Fanfare and the Main Theme in ANH and say that again. [face_plain]

It's not broke. It's the musical equivalent of a 1978 Pinto without a muffler - bad sounding, outdated, and just really bad quality.

Why the "Hell No!" ? We're not talking about re-scoring it. We're talking about improving the sound quality! Give me one good reason why it should not be re-recorded as long as it stays to the exact specs of the original score.

Unless you think that distortion and paper-thin sounding instruments are GOOD in film music...[face_plain]

7. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    Ahh, but it never will sound the same twice. Try listening to the same music conducted by the same conductor but played by different people. You'll notice. Sure, it's still the LSO, but it's not the same LSO, and you're not going to get the same music. That may be okay - just know that the music may not come out quite the way you know and love it. I think it could be improved a lot simply by remastering, and a rerecording might not be necessary. I have never noticed anything especially wrong with the sound quality of the music. But for sure, no rescoring.

-Paul

8. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    I agree, a remaster would do wonders for the current sound quality. Maybe Lucas should schedule sessions with Williams and some engineers and meticulously remaster every single note of the OT scores.

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    No a remaster is NOT enough. They need to be REMIXED as well.

10. DARTH_CHINA

DARTH_CHINA Jedi Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    They should re-record only certain parts (with imperial march/dark side theme).Don't you think the main theme during the ANH opening crawl sounds terrible?

11. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    "Listen to the Fox Fanfare and the Main Theme in ANH and say that again."

So I have a flair for nostalgia! :p

12. ElfStar

ElfStar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
  13. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  14. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I think that they should re-record the entire OT, er...maybe not re-record, but re-perform, just so it has the same soundtrack quality of the PT.

But I have the SEs on CD, so I'd say they can tinker with the soundtracks all they want, if I don't like the re-done version, I always have the originals. :)

15. darthtj

darthtj Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2002
    I want the imperial march in a new hope. music f

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    darthtj I agree. I would love to have the IM in A New Hope. I think it belongs in there. The only other thematic change to the OT scores I would consider is adding Anakin's theme to the death of Darth Vader scene. While I love the soft version of the IM there, I would be eager to hear what Williams could come up with by weaving the IM and Anakin's theme together.

I think that they should re-record the entire OT, er...maybe not re-record, but re-perform, just so it has the same soundtrack quality of the PT.

But I have the SEs on CD, so I'd say they can tinker with the soundtracks all they want, if I don't like the re-done version, I always have the originals.

Exactly. I have the originals on CD. Rerecording them is fine. Worst case scenario, the rerecordings suck and I keep listening to the ones I already have. But the potential for making them sound better is very real.

Case in point. I just got the E.T. DVD for my birthday. They did a special screening of the film with John Williams conducting the score over the film LIVE. With all that pressure and no time allowed to go back and do a second take, the score sounded amazing and was timed very well to the film. I could barely tell a difference at all.

If this is the result of Williams recreating a film score LIVE then what would it sound like if he could pour over it carefully in the studio? I'd bet money it's a spot on match to the original performances but with better sound quality.

17. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    plus he has way more years of experience to draw from....

great points, Stri.

now, if they sucked, and they were tracked onto the UUOMGE, then would you watch the new versions?

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Way more years of experience than who?

And if they suck so badly that I cannot watch the films anymore (which I cannot imagine) then I have the OT on 5.1 laserdiscs... ;)

Hey if I can love AOTC despite it's musical rape, I am sure I could love new recordings of the score.

19. TenorAprentice

Jul 19, 2002
    musical rape? ouch...

i was saying that JW has years more experience now than he did back then, mostly as a conductor and performer. I am sure that he is way more skilled at getting the right sound out of an orchestra...

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah but the E.T. with the live recording of the score was done in March 2002... :) That's his skill level now. Truly a Maestro. I wanna see Horner or Goldsmith do that... :D

21. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    Ok, I'm a Horner fan myself, but I simply can't resist...

"They did a special screening of the film with John Williams conducting the score over the film LIVE."

"I could barely tell a difference at all."

"Yeah but the E.T. with the live recording of the score was done in March 2002... That's his skill level now. Truly a Maestro. I wanna see Horner or Goldsmith do that..."

Doesn't Horner do that with every score he writes nowadays? They all sound identical to me :D

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

More on topic though... It would be interesting to hear IM in ANH, but I wouldn't be devastated if this didn't happen. The only piece from the OT I really want to hear rewritten is the Emperor/Vader scene in Empire with the emperor's theme.

22. Cam_Mulonus

Cam_Mulonus Jedi Master star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Should ANH be rescored?

No, not until they fix the AOTC score.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Should ANH be rescored?

No, not until they fix the AOTC score.

*points at the topic*

Date Posted: 1:02am Subject: RE: Should the ANH score be re-recorded?

Doesn't say anything about re-scoring it. Simply re-recording the exact same score with better recording technology.

24. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    I don't think ANH (or any of the OT) should be re-scored. If there are more "special edition" scenes added for the eventual DVD "Archive Edition"...that's fine; but leave the original music the way it is.

At some point, fans are going to have to realize that while all 6 movies form 1 big story...ANH was released in 1977, and AOTC was released in 2002. There is going to be some ideas in the 1st 3 movies, that aren't in the last 3.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Dude. People. You need to READ. The topic says RE-RECORDED. Not RE-SCORED. Do you see the difference?

Sheesh what is with people lately?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.