main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should the phrase "under God" be taken out of the United States Pledge of Allegiance?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by Liz Skywalker, Jun 30, 2002.

?

Should the phrase "under God" be taken out of the United States Pledge of Allegiance?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes.

31.5%
  2. No.

58.0%
  3. It should be made optional, but it shouldn't be stricken.

3.8%
  4. Undecided.

0.7%
  5. Don't care either way.

6.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
  2. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    No.

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

3. Angel5000

Angel5000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    No.

If it is "unconstitional" to have it in the pledge of allegiance, then it certainly must be unconstituional to have "In God We Trust" on our money.
    If they do that then all money should be burned/destroyed and new money made. (I'm being sarcastic to make a point by the way :D )

4. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    I say "yes". I also think the President should not say "God bless America" at the end of his speeches and that "In God We TRust" should be taken off our money. Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion. We are free to have no religion, therefore, the mention of God goes against the seperation of Church and State. Of course, I don't like the drama way it's being accomplished in RL, but that's humanity for you.

5. nyjets

nyjets Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    being a atheist is also a form of religion are we free from that. it makes no point in changing it now.

6. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    This issue is really easy to fix-use the ORIGINAL pledge. "one nation, indivisible" (as in the pre-1954 pledge) is much more appropriate for a pledge of allegiance anyway, IMNSOH.

7. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    I think that it should be kept in. The US was founded on a christian based society, and we shouldn't forsaken our heritage in such a way. But we should also be more open to other religions. But what really bothers me is how in public school you have to make every concession for every other religion, but if you catholic or anything like that it's ok to force you to not openly practice your religion.

I've suffered all kinds of predjudice against what I believe, and I think it sucks, for anyone. I think that athiests have a choice, satanic worshipers have a choice, jewish people have choices, but to restrict somebody from making that choice is bad.

When bush says 'God Bless America,' he's professing his faith in front of the country. If congress suddenly bans him from saying that his freedom of speech is being encroached upon...

8. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    "The US was founded on a christian based society"

Uh, no. But there's so much stuff there, I don't feel like getting into it. Maybe Cydonia will wander by here and explain it to you.

The whole 'god in the pledge and on money' deal started in the 50's, because of the cold war. The USSR was an atheistic state, so the jackasses in charge decided to start slapping the word god on everything American. The original pledge does not have the word god in it. We should go back to that. And also take "In God We Trust" off the money.

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Ooops, i voted no when i meant yes. Anyway, the reason why i said yes is because of respect of other countries and religions. Although i am Christian, the way i see the "under god" part is bad. I mean, what does "under god" mean, anyway? It means that this country is the only country that got see's as right and just diss all the other countries. This country is one of the most contriversal country's in the world and definately not religious. The pledge has no right to have that in it, especially any time after 1940.

10. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I voted no.

I think that God is genaric. Alomost all religions have a lead god, a head god.

But I also think they should let the kids say whatever they want. Where God is, let the kids replace it with Jesus, Allah, Buddha, or whatever their main god is.

My Godmother is the PTA president for California, and she was visting this past week. All of thursday she was getting call after call from diffrent press agencies. She agrees with me fully, and now that they're reviewing the case She's happy.

11. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    Yes it should because not all religions do have a god. Atheists don't believe in god and they live in the US. It does not belong in the pledge and can easily be taken out.

12. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    Yes, I think they should revert it to the state it was in before it was changed in the 50's. Even though I am a Christian, that has never seemed right to me.

13. JaegerGhent

JaegerGhent Jedi Master star 5

Jan 5, 2002
  14. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    No. Like someone said, it's a generic term so I don't feel it's a huge deal. Most believe in some form of higher power. Though certianly not all. I don't think it's offensive and would like it to stay.

15. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    No. And mark my words. If the full 9th Circuit Court doesn't strike it down, the Supreme Court will.

16. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    That's got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard. This country was raised on the belief of God, not of Athiesm.

17. Mrs_Kitty

Mrs_Kitty Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2002
    I don't think it should, but orinally "under God" was not in the United States Pledge of Allegiance.

18. Liz Skywalker

Jun 13, 2000
    "the country was raised"

you mean founded? yes, the Founding Fathers were all Christian. Not everyone in the US at the time was Christian, but since the politicans and the bigwigs were, the country was "founded on religion". But nowdays the polliticans and bigwigs are not all Christian or all believers in God. So should we stay with the politicians' demogs of 200 years ago, or should we go with today's diversity?

19. Jedi_Kat

Jedi_Kat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 6, 2002
    No, and I'm not even American. I wish that we in Canada had a Pledge of Allegiance...that's something I admire greatly about Americans...their sense of patriotism. (Patriotism and Canada used in the same sentence is almost an oxymoron :p )

20. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    The Constitution says "Freedom Of Religion", not "Freedom From Religion".

I voted no. I think the 3 judges who think it's unconstitutional should get a good beating.

21. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999
    I agree with those who said it should go back to the way it was ("one nation indivisible"), before the Knights of Columbus got their noses in it.

22. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    The whole 'god in the pledge and on money' deal started in the 50's, because of the cold war. The USSR was an atheistic state, so the jackasses in charge decided to start slapping the word god on everything American. The original pledge does not have the word god in it. We should go back to that. And also take "In God We Trust" off the money.

Saint_of_Killers, I thank you, for this is the first sensible and fact-based statement I've read regarding this issue on any of the message boards I've been to. I have had this discussion with my family and friends, and many of them seem to be aware of it. However, many on the boards I visit do not acknowledge it.

23. DarksiderGeorge

DarksiderGeorge Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2002
    We should not say the pledge period.... All humans must abandon the concept of nationalism and begin the transformation to the Crusade!!! It is Humanity's only hope to stave off total obliteration!. Im totally serious about it.

24. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    dont care

25. Amidala14

Amidala14 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    No way! When our country was founded, it was founded under God. And what about that whole freedom of religion thing? If they take out "under God" they aren't giving us Christians freedom of religion, they're taking away that freedom. And while people have other beliefs, God is still there because he's the one who created everyone and everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.