main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should the post-ROTJ EU become an offical alternate reality?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Jul 18, 2013.

?

should the post-ROTJ EU become an offical alternate reality?

1. yes

18 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. no

26 vote(s)
    49.1%
  3. i don't know

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    If the ST does contradict the post-ROTJ EU, should the EU after ROTJ be made into an official alternate reality, instead of being become non-canon/fanfic status? That way though the post-ROTJ EU did not happen in the timeline of the ST, it did happen in another universe. Perhaps that way we could still see a continuation of the post-ROTJ EU even in the days of the ST.

OR

Do you think that introducing a multiverse in star wars is stupid? That if there were contradictions between the ST and post-ROTJ EU, that something should be done to maintain 1 star wars universe, even if it means throwing out a bunch, if not most of the EU after ROTJ, into the status of non-canon.

What do you think?

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Multiverse has been tried before and it didn't take!

Reboots are similarly unwanted as most people have their favourites they don't want thrown out no matter how many others wish it.

Alternative option is to end the current EU in style, but given the response to Crucible so far, that's been messed up too.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Considering that Disney also owns Marvel, a multiverse wouldn't surprise me.

4. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    If that happens I am out. Done. Period. It's a ridiculous idea, especially for Star Wars.

5. LivingJediDream

LivingJediDream Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2010
    An interesting question is if you're given the option to keep say, the Thrawn trilogy in continuity, but just like you have to rationalize the dates and the descriptions of the Clone Wars, likewise Jacen and Jaina weren't actually born, but some different character was born. Is that worth it to keep the Thrawn trilogy in continuity?

6. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I like what Marvel and Disney has done with the Marvel Cinematic Universe and hope that if the EU is killed that it is at least treated with respect. However the only people who cared what happened to Luke, Han, Leia, and Chewie they got into the EU. I mean the EU exploded with the Thrawn Trilogy, and then I grew up with Young Jedi Knights and Junior Jedi Knights, imagine my suprise when I find out that the stories about Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin don't end with YJK and JJK, that there is this new series coming out the NJO. And on top of that, they are bringing along Lowie, Raynar, and Tahiri? Now my thoughts are it should be kept, in whole, but clean slate some of the characters. But if they were to outst the EU, I can't help but imagine they would bring in plots or at least characters that have become fan favorites as fan service.

7. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    No. Because you'd better enjoy losing everything you like at the same time as everything you dislike.

8. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012

I agree, but there HAS to be fan service. JJ knows this. He included little nerd items like that one test and that one species (sorry im not a trekkie). Fan Service is important.

9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Fan service does not equal preservation of the EU.

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Star Trek under JJ did both :p

11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That's because the rules of the Trek universe allowed it.

Mazzic and son_of_skywalker03 like this.
  12. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I give you flow-walking :)

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Force vision != time travel

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  14. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Should topics like this stop getting made without a search of the board first?

Sinrebirth likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Anyone who thinks Abrams is going to repeat the Trek trick has forgotten a basic rule of story magecraft!

16. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    I think the Del Rey books from DNT onward desperately need to be made an alternate universe. Although making them Infinities would suit me just fine.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    Of all the options, an AU is looking to be the best one IMHO. Adherents and supporters of extant canon can continue to enjoy published material without disenfranchisement or paranoia over its tenuous legitimacy. At the same time, it paves way for more material born from Episode VII, which is probably not going to confine itself to the EU as we know it.

To be frank, there's a lot of crap in the EU that owes much to ignorance of the prequels and George's greater "vision" for the saga. And while I applaud the likes of Jason Fry, Daniel Wallace, and their esteemed colleagues for their attempts to weave the disparate threads into a coherent tapestry, my suspension of disbelief has been strained for years. I can't read a Star Wars novel or comic under the conceit that all these stories happened in the same universe.

George's departure and the announcement of Episode VII heralded two things, IMHO: First, George would no longer be around to retcon, transform, or disregard extant EU at whim while at the same time firing a warning shot across the EU's bow: You may just be wiped out entirely. The pissing match between George and the EU (and yes, both sides contributed) is hopefully dead.

Hopefully the new direction will involve integrating both aspects of Star Wars and cultivating a sense of mutual respect and cooperation. If that's the case, I'm willing to set what we have aside for the prospect of a more cohesive mythology.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The only problem with what you sketch Sable is that it sets the precedent of rebooting in effect and what has been done once can be done again - you only have to look at DC Comics for evidence of that!

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I also think alot of the EU crap came from writers caring more about "coolness" than about story/plot.

20. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    I confess that I'm not nor have I ever been much of a comic reader. I would oppose a reboot/AU more if the franchise were teeming with quality works; but it's really not. As big of a fan as I am, and I am indeed a big one, there are only a handful of Star Wars works that I consider genuinely great on their own merits.

For every good contribution, there's ten bad ones. Of course, there's no way of knowing if the "new" EU (if there is one) would be any better. But if it tanks, I still have the likes of Yoda: Dark Rendezvous and Shatterpoint to get my Star Wars on.

21. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if there were two continuities.

darklordoftech and Sable_Hart like this.
  22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I could accept two continuities... if provided with a good explanation. And frankly, I can't see what that explanation could be. The old time travel trick? JJ, pls.

23. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I'd prefer truly separate continuities.

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This!

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. AlyxDinas

AlyxDinas Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 12, 2010
    I don't even think it needs explanation or connection. One is simply continuity A, the other B, with shared background material.