main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should the Sith return?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lonewolf89, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loser_fett

loser_fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    I have been wondering about this for awhile and now seems a good a time as any to ask so Who is Lumiya? I've been able to gather that she is a sith and had something to do with the marvel comics and anything more specific would be much appreciated.

2. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    ANd here is the great flaw in EU. Some claim Sith are already in the NJO, but those are "Dark Jedi" as you all would say. I say, you all wanted your Sith Witches and Force-users, you got em, be happy with what you have and don't ask for any movie assistance. :p

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "ANd here is the great flaw in EU. Some claim Sith are already in the NJO, but those are "Dark Jedi" as you all would say."

Actually we refer to "Dark Lady Lumiya" who is a sith lord, according to gamer 5. What you perceive as a flaw, isn't in the EU history. If you don't like it stop reading the EU, you'll be much happier. (She shows up in Gamer #8, that came out this month, set during the NJO time period.)

Then there is sith cults(darksider who find sith teachings and create a cult based on it(like irek ismeran according to gamer 5.)

The EU history has it's own views, if you don't like that your best just sticking with the movies.

Then there is the dark jedi, and darksiders as well.

4. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Wyl_Transerwnnyr Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    To answer the question of SHOULD the Sith return, we must first answer the question of what WOULD happen if they did return in NJO. Would they come into conflict with the Vong, or would they join in the fight against the Vong. Given the Vong's revulsion towards the force users, the Sith might resist them. It would be interesting if the Vong crisis finally healed the millenia-old schism between the Jedi and the various incarnations of the Sith. That could be a useful plot device.

5. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Wyl...
    "It would be interesting if the Vong crisis finally healed the millenia-old schism between the Jedi and the various incarnations of the Sith."

The old adage, "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is not inherently true. Because the Sith are also seemingly against the Vong (Dark Lord Lumiya was after the Vong/vonduun-crab killing pollen), doesn't mean she's going to unite with the Jedi in helping old women cross the street after the Vong are gone.

The Sith are interested in power, not in healing any rift they may have.

6. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

The Sith are interested in power, not in healing any rift they may have.

Nor would the Jedi with the Sith- Assuming anyone was foolish enough to tackle the concept, how could you handle it? It simply could not and should not be done. The Jedi wouldn't simply stop being opposed to the Sith, they're evil and as Genghis said, only interested in power, which means the kind of power that subjugation, corruption, etc. come attached to. The Jedi would never stand for that, because it is that which they fight against.

Also, the Jedi do not assume that the Sith are misguided- a Dark Jedi might be, but not a Sith, since they actually create cities, books, holocrons, etc., they go into the deal with their eyes wide open for the most part, whereas a Dark Jedi might just be some nebbish who made a few mistakes and bad decisions.

7. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    Out of interest, though, do any of you really believe that they'll ever give us an actual novel dealing with Dark Lady Lumiya, the Prophets, or any of the other cool anomalies left over from the ''old days''?

I hope they do, but I can't see it ever happening.

As to the Inquisition, are they still floating around, too? I keep hearing people make references to ''High Inquisitor Tremayne'' & his being an Emperor's Hand, etc.

8. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Will the true Sith, as in Darth Sidious & Darth Vader type Sith ever return? No. Why? Because GL says so.

However, since the Sith have changed before (5000 BBY era, 4000 BBY era, 2000 BBY era, 1000 BBY era), a new type of Sith could arrise, in which I'll admit Lumiya could be one.

But they won't be back in the NJO. The bad guys were originally gonna be Sith/"Dark Jedi"/darksiders, but LFL wouldn't allow it.

wk

9. Terranix

Nov 6, 2001
    I reckon that Maarek, Lumiya, the Prophets & co. are going to be confined soley to obscure references in the odd article. Which is a shame.

10. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Wyl_Transerwnnyr Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    I appreciate your critique of my speculation, but I guess I think it would just be an interesting concept. I agree, it would be highly unlikely, but we can all speculate.

11. Terranix

Nov 6, 2001
    Which is my point exactly. It would be a great concept, but I'm fairly sure it isn't ever going to happen. However much it's speculated, it all seems ''in vain''.

12. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    You may not see there return in a novel, but to us continuity fans seeing the odd mention in articles or other places is plenty good.

Every little extention of the universe helps.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>I'd love to see Luke lead a trip to Korriban to confront the Dark Lords in their mausoleum.<<

"This reminds me of the battle of Dramedan..."
    "Oh yeah? How'd you beat them?"
    "I am trying to remember, there were an awful lot of casualties that day..."

Somehow I think an assault on Korriban would do more harm then good, unless we're talking orbital bombardment and/or the eradication of the entire planet. Maybe the Vong will do Luke the favor...? ;;D

Anyways, I don't think we'll the Sith too soon, they are gonna be patient and wait for the right time like they did before, so until then they'll be working secretly and behind the scenes- so it makes sense that we'll only see them in "obscure" references for the time being until their time to strike.

14. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    "This reminds me of the battle of Dramedan..."
    "Oh yeah? How'd you beat them?"
    "I am trying to remember, there were an awful lot of casualties that day..."

"Did you have to let them detonate three quarters of the ship?"

"Seeing as how they would have detonated four quarters, I'd say we got a pretty fair deal."

Memories...

15. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    You can always count on Kup for some good anecdotes. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.