main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should the ST rhyme?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sab Jo, Dec 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sab Jo

Sab Jo Jedi Master star 2

Jul 2, 2013
    Most here probably already know what I mean by that. The OT and PT, while telling very different stories, have a number of similarities strung throughout each corresponding episode, i.e. I with IV, II with V, and III with VI. Things like the older Jedi mentor dying, losing a hand, etc.

The titles were similar. (TPM and ANH being vague and static, AOTC and TESB being 4 words and proactive, & ROTS and ROTJ being polar opposites.)

Most of all, the themes were similar. (TPM and ANH, while having tinges of darkness and implications of bigger things, were both lighter and more kid friendly & able to function as stand alone films with a happy ending; AOTC and TESB were also a little more mature and ended on an uneasy cliff hanger; ROTS and ROTJ were both darker and climactic, seeing as they were the concluding acts of their respective trilogies.)

My question is this: Do you think the ST will follow this pattern?

IMO, it already appears they aren't. (The Force Awakens is a structurally different title; We're hearing reports that the tone is quite dark, maybe that it ends on a cliff hanger)

Of course, who knows anything for sure at this point. Any thoughts?

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

2. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    FIRST!

Yes, yes I do.

3. LionHeartV1

LionHeartV1 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2014
    Not in the context of
    A mentor dying in the first movie of each trilogy
    Someone loses a limb in the second
    and so forth

I don't mind similarities. But don't make it so obvious.

Dewback, Miras-Etrin, mratm23 and 6 others like this.
  4. Sab Jo

Jul 2, 2013

Yes, of course. I was just citing those as examples. Personally, I would prefer that the 'rhyming' continue discreetly, but especially in regard to the first act being lighter and relatively self contained.

5. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I agree with what some others here have said: I don't mind the "rhyming" of certain themes, but I thought the prequels were a bit TOO blatant about it, and I'd prefer the new movies didn't do that. I don't need to see another Skywalker blow up a Death Star thing in the first film, an asteroid chase in the second film, a rehash of the throne room in the third film, etc, etc. If it's done with some subtlety, then it's fine.

6. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    Yes yes and yes..

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  7. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Hopefully they will leave rhyming to Dr. Dre from now on, and just focus on making a good, original and imaginative story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dewback, TKT and Jcuk like this.
  8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Sith Sabres are Red
    Jedi Sabres are Blue
    The Force Awakens
    Sequels are poodoo

Alpha-Red and Team Padme like this.
  9. Sab Jo

Jul 2, 2013
    Yes, I agree about imitating specific events. However, I think rhyming MOODS work well. For instance, the first part being lighter, the second more mature and possibly a cliff hanger, and the third more climactic, rather than putting it all out there right away without a build-up. I'm just worried they're gonna jump right into 'ultra dark' stuff to appease people who don't want ANY cute/humorous/lighthearted aspects in a SW film, (even though that's never been the case), and to please the guys who are insecure in their adulthood and need gritty films with dark moods so they can tell themselves 'ooh yeah, I'm a bad boy' and not be embarrassed about it. If TFA gets rated PG-13, something definitely will be off. Not quite the same saga. I'm sure it'll be a great movie anyway, even though the OT nostalgia that'll likely be played up.

Empress Shatterpoint and miasma like this.
  10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Hopefully now Dr Dre's a billionaire he'll stop hitting women

Beats by Dre - google it - he's a complete wrong'un

TKT likes this.
  11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The Force Awakens title is consistent with the titles for Episodes 1 and 4. Without knowing the details of TFA, it isn't a jump to say that the first title in each trilogy refers to a person and/or power that changes the dynamics in the galaxy. As the phantom menace, Palpatine starts orchestrating events to claim power. As a new hope, Luke is a beacon for the rebellion and for the Jedi against the Empire/Sith. If Force users are largely underground and disbursed, maybe Rey's journey leads to a Jedi awakening, etc.

I think they should rhyme to some degree. It is all one saga. Each trilogy is a different hero's journey, there are parallels there. Beyond that, it adds layers and texture to the saga. There are similarities and points of divergence in how Anakin handled situations vs. how Luke did (consider the enhanced emotional impact of certain scenes in ROTS and ROTJ when you compare the differences in how they acted/reacted.)

JJ and Kasdan are tuned into this, fair to expect to see some rhyming.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wasn't their a character in GODV who spoke in limerick?

TKT likes this.
  13. captainkenbo

captainkenbo Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 21, 2014
    I don't really think it's going to "rhyme" that much it looks like they're going in a new direction

But someone has to get something cut off it's not Star Wars if they don't :p

Sab Jo likes this.
  14. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
  15. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    It'll rhyme like

[​IMG]

Yea, I couldn't find a smaller meme that suited this post.

Shadojoker and Darth Dookacas like this.
  16. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    To a degree yes. To me the rhyming is sort of a tradition in Star Wars. Now not everything should rhyme or exactly. The new movies need to be their own too.

Sab Jo likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No, it should be faster and more intense.

18. Sab Jo

Jul 2, 2013

Yes! I think ROTJ is much more powerful after seeing ROTS. Father and son made different choices; Palpatine was willing to drop Vader just like he did Dooku when a new potential apprentice came along; etc.

19. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    It should be like poetry. Every stanza rhymes

SgtTimBob likes this.
  20. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    No. I disliked that in the PT, frankly. The only thing that saved rhyming trilogies previously was the father/son thing. Now that that's done, they need to be original.

Dewback and Miras-Etrin like this.
  21. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I could not disagree more about the title

I find that "The Force Awakens" is absolutely perfectly analogous to both "The Phantom Menace" and "A New Hope"

All are three word phrases that set the tone of the trilogy regarding the Force in some way. TPM subtly refers to the dark side (Sidious), ANH subtly refers to the light side (Luke) and it could be said this captures the tone of each trilogy, as the PT is about the rise of the dark side, and the OT is about the return of the light side

"The Force Awakens," however, refers directly to the Force itself, and given the fact that it seems the ST will be more spiritual and explore the Force deeper than ever before, it sets up perhaps a tone of neutral balance (as set by Anakin) and a very blurred moral line

I ADORE the title chosen for Ep VII and eagerly await the titles for Ep VIII and Ep IX

TKT and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  22. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It's still one of those questions that depends on whether VII-IX is the end of the Saga. If it is, then definitely rhyme. One thing I hate is a trilogy whose third part is different in basic ways that the other two are similar. I hate lopsided trilogies.

my kind of scum and Sab Jo like this.
  23. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    I think 7-9 should "rhyme" in places, like the losing of a hand in 2 for example and the end shot with the droids as seen in AOTC and TESB, but after the sequel trilogy they should move away from this for 10, 11 and 12 (if they happen)

24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Which means what exactly? The "only thing" father/son WAS the thing. That was the entire point. So the only thing that saved it was itself.

As for original let's see. Luke, Leia and Han with their sidekicks Chewie and the Droids, the Falcon, X-Wings, TIE fighters, Stormtroopers, some versions of the Empire and Rebels and Jedi and Sith and so on and so on. New characters who echo the previous generation with their sidekicks who will no doubt do the exact same kind of things in the same kinds of stories which would make it Star Wars. Th

The very fact that it's called The Force Awakens tells you it's going to center things on the Force in ways that are going to likely be that much deeper as from the OT was to the PT.

So anyone looking for originality in the overall isn't going to get it. The originality as always is in the details.

As this points out the overall thematic structure is actually in ring form so as well as those there is also the story structure, thematic and visual rhythms between I-VI, II-V and III-IV.

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/

Trebor Sabreon, Seagoat and Sab Jo like this.
  25. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.