main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should there be a local war/crisis pre-TFA?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 21, 2017.

?

Should their be another pre-TFA crisis?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. maybe

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. I don't care

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Besides this crisis
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Amaxine_warrior_crisis
    from bloodlines.

I would prefer dealing with an enemy not associated with Imperial left overs.

In the old EU we got various threats from Imperial remnant, criminals, to weird aliens.

Though in Disneys world their is far more peace then the Legends continuity.

Still I do want to see the New Republic and Lukes Academy take some involvement in saving some lives against evil doers. See some positive interaction those 2 factions have with others before Ben Solo throws his temper tantrum, slaughter of the Jedi, and NR getting pwned by the First Order.

Since Luke Academy will never get a defining moment like the Legends NJO did in the Vong Invasion, they should bring peace to certain people in a local conflict, showing the good a group of Jedi can do in this era before the fall 2.0.

How would you want another pre-TFA crisis to play out?

2. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I was going to cast I don't care, but ended up casting maybe.

I don't care in the sense all of NJO 2.0 will either die, or join the KOR

There's always Vong.

Maybe Tahiri 2.0 will ride Zonama sekot away and survive the massacre. Not that Tahiri 2.0 would be shaped. Pure Tahiri.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think of Star Wars as a galaxy of adventure.

Even when there's peace there's evil cults, pirates, robot uprisings, and petty dictators.

I think of the Bantam Era, for example, as as a time of "peace" despite all the Waru, Yevetha, and so on/

4. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    If you look at just the 20th Century, conflict didn't stop just because World War 2 ended, I feel that it should be the same within the GFFA. I don't know if there should be anything as cataclysmic as the Vong invasion, but some conflict should probably occur.
    E

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I don't care. I have no stakes in the Canon universe and no matter what, anything pre-TFA can not and will not be as gutsy as what the EU did.

Lord Sith Harloxzz likes this.
  6. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Maybe some kind of pirate alliance causes trouble.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There's hints of a pirate alliance in Empire's End. I think there should be a conflict but nothing Imperial or First Order (aside from when the New Republic/Resistance & First Order start taking potshots at each other), they spend a lot of time amassing their power. There had to be SOMETHING in 3 decades (okay, maybe 2 decades, that last decade before TFA is kind of set) that caused Luke, Leia, Han n Chewie and Lando to get together.

However as for Sloane and the company that hid out in the Unknown Regions, they can totally go full Only the Strong Survive Infighting.

8. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    It's also a chance for Ben Solo to show heroic qualities. Unless the writers decide that he should still be very unlikeable pre fall.

9. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I think they should have minor conflicts. There needs to be story arcs for all of these characters so that the three decades don't go to waist. It would be mistake to only tell stories right after ROTJ and immediately before TFA. This era is a perfect time period for stories and exciting adventures.

Empire's End, created new factions and these need to be explored and utilized in stories. They provide the potential for conflicts before the first order becomes a threat. Seeing how the multiple factions interact would be fascinating as would seeing how the political situation evolves between Jakku and Bloodline.

They also should show more stories about the development of the NR. Also, Leia, Han, and Luke all deserve stories prior to TFA. These 30 years should focus on them and what they did before Kylo fell. Seeing how their lives change after Jakku and watching them adapt to the new galaxy would be fun. It could also enchance the tragedy of Ben.

Telling stories about the surviving Imperial fleet in the unknown regions is important as well.

Gutsy doesn't mean good. The EU's attempts at doing so often failed. The NJO was good, but LOTF and FOTJ were terrible. The Legacy comics were good, but they left the universe in an unsatisfactory place; the GA was in ruins and the Jedi were depleted. The Empire was Ascendency and the only strong force for good in the galaxy. This harmed the big 3's legacy far more than TFA did. Other than the NJO and beyond the EU wasn't gutsy. The Bantam era is pretty comparable to the NEU.

Also, gutsy doesn't mean big galaxy shattering conflicts. It can involve a variety of story elements. NJO style conflicts are trying to hard to be gutsy. It's easy to create a story that's intense because the good side keeps losing and the galaxy is being ravaged. I'm far more impressed with the political storylines the NEU has been creating or the way it has humanized the Empire. All of this is more complex than the EU. None of this is gutsy, but I'd say the EU never really was either. Not the good parts anyway

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  10. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Fortunately, we're dealing with a Galaxy large enough that a planetary-sized conflict could easily be considered a minor conflict to the Galaxy at large. Even system sized conflicts are probably only tantamount to smaller nations at war in our Earth, depending on the planetary systems involved. Plus, we know that the New Republic's dominance is a reserved hegemony instead of actual rule across much of the Galaxy; we've got at least two successor states to the CIS and a pirate league operating right after Jakku, and it's possible the silence on Mandalore and its comparative power and internal focus on Rebels could suggest that they could also be autonomous in the time period. And we know from the Propganda book that at least some planets of the Galaxy are subjected to a limited military expansion by First Order forces (presumably Unknown Regions-based forces dressed up as Centrist-Secessionist forces), so conflict on that scale apparently isn't considered notable by New Republic officials.

To me, you fill this period with minor conflicts, police actions, revolutions, espionage, some phantom almost-threats to the Galactic Order, and eventually some proxy conflicts between NR and FO forces. And Luke and the NJO would cut their teeth in these conflicts, particularly on the ones outside of NR space, making the Jedi kind of legendary friends to the underdog if you're outside mainstream channels, so that Rey's geek out makes even more sense; Luke and co. would be the stuff of hopeful fireside chats and rumors around the outpost. And I'd use the non-aligned world's and other galactic nation states as a kind of Wild West *In Space!* scenario.

I've had ideas that I think may be around what would fit this criteria:

-Cleaning out the Latitudes of pirates; an SSD in the hands of planetary and shipping raiders may be acceptable as long as they target Imperials at the tail end of the Galactic Civil War, but not during peacetime.
    -Potential CIS Successor State Drama; it sounds like the Confederacy of Corporate Systems is the "evil business" side of the CIS legacy, while the New Separatist Union may be the original idealists. So, have the former attempt some kind of consolidation with the latter, with NR Intelligence attempting to avoid a hostile power-bloc formation.
    -Annexation Angst; have some planets and subordinate systems desire to join the New Republic or split off from another foreign power, and have to face another governments (still comparatively humble) forces.

AusStig, BigAl6ft6, KamNale and 3 others like this.
  11. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Bloodline pretty much kills that idea. From what I can tell, it has pretty dead in the galaxy in the way of higher conflicts since the end of the Galactic Civil War at Jakku. Though the TFA Visual Dictionary did mention that Jabba's death led to infighting among the Hutts and that's how Kanjiklub pretty much rose.

12. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    My dream inter-trilogy story is about independent do-gooders and New Republic agents helping with the shift of power in Hutt Space. Think the slave rebellions so-called subplot from FOTJ, except actually being a plot.

I don't think there should be "a" crisis on the level of the films, though - more just smaller adventures.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  13. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    JediKnight75
    The ending of Legacy was very satisfing IMO. Also the Big Three's legacies may have been trampled (Legacies never last forever anyway) but at least their LIVES weren't trampled.
    Also gutsy can mean a great many things, but I was speaking in terms of scale. TFA created a ceiling for it's respective EU. The original EU had no ceiling. Personally I prefer SW stories that introduce new things over the Bantam era which couldn't let go of those Lucas characters.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I want to see the First Order invade Hutt Space and do "peacekeeping" efforts there to liberate the various slaves alongside the Republic back when they were friendly. That would be a crazy sort of "enemy of my enemy" situation.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Judging from Propaganda, that situation is more likely to occur with pirates than Hutts.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'd be cool either way.

:)

17. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Have Black Sun rise into sort of SPECTRE type organisation and you could get a few good stories out the resulting shenanigans.

AusStig and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    The era just before The Phantom Menace was supposed to be a peaceful era, so the writers gave us smaller conflicts: the Yinchorii uprising, the Stark Hyperspace War (both of which took place mostly in one planetary system) and Qui-gon and Obi-wan going on adventures fighting criminals (no matter the era, the "scum and villainy" of the galaxy provide great antagonists). I have a feeling this pre-TFA era will give us similar stories, but with Luke and Ben.

It could be tricky as they'll want to preserve the "our heroes enjoyed a hard-earned peace for a while-until the new evil came!" vibe Bloodline and Propaganda set up. But as long as the warlords/crimelords are kept small enough, they minimize New Republic involvement, and they don't make it feel like there are great fleets and armies engaged in a galaxy wide conflict, they can pull it off. I suspect that the Propaganda book's mention of Imp holdouts in the "months" after Jakku might be retconned to "years", but definitely not more than 2 or 3.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Season 4 of Rebels is going to be the last season. I would not be in the slightest bit surprised if the next series is STAR WARS: RESISTANCE.

Old Ezra Bridger as the Obi-Wan on a new ship of oddballs.

"Are you a Jedi?"

"Something like that."

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    This guy gets it.

The rest of you who voted "No" and "I don't care"... why the heck are you in Lit?!? Some of the best EU tales were "minor" conflicts! (The Stark Hyperspace War! Starfighters of Adumar! The Nomad comics! Dark Forces II! The puke-colored Cam Kennedy Boba Fett comics! Basically like every short story!)

And lest you all forget, Traitor had a cast of like, four.*

The old EU has proven time and time again that the GFFA can produce great tales beyond massive galaxy-shattering wars.

*Yes I know Traitor was part of the NJO series, but part of the reason the novel was fantastic was that it was distinctly isolated from the galaxy-spanning mayhem featured in all the other NJO books.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    The Bantam era wasn't exactly dripping in amazing shocking acts and swerves. :)

Or are we calling Pittens, Waru, and Yevetha gutsy?

The TFA era is the start of canon's NJO.

22. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    The post-ROTJ era was the most exciting period in the old canon. It would be a big mistake if they would just write it off like a long period of peace.

23. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    While I wish the GCW had continued for 2 or 3 years after ROTJ instead of just 1, I strongly disagree: a long period of peace is exactly what is needed for the era. It gives a sense that the heroes really accomplished something and get a well deserved rest. In contrast, with Legends it often felt like they rushed from one crisis to the next, or that the galaxy was stuck in an endless state of war. You can still have smaller conflicts (heck TPM pulled off a "peaceful era" vibe despite a planetary invasion being a major plot point), but it should be a long period of (mostly) peace.

BigAl6ft6, MercenaryAce and Vthuil like this.
  24. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    They had to write more conflict while the main characters are still young.

No one want to read about octagenearian Luke or some young Jedi Knight not named Luke Skywalker. or how Luke's academy gets destroyed. I'm sorry, TFA's story for Luke doesn't work for me.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  25. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yes, there should, but it should not be on the same scale as TFA, or the Galactic Civil War, or the Clone Wars. Show us less fate-of-the-galaxy and more nation-building.

JediBatman likes this.