main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should there be a Cliffhanger

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by WhiskeyGold, Jan 9, 2014.

?

Should it have a cliffhanger?

1. YES!

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. NO!

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. Only the middle film (SW8)

22 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    One thing I loved as a kid was the cliffhanger at the end of Empire! I miss that the prequels never really had a huge cliffhanger like Empire did. Its also one thing i liked about the new Hunger Game movie was the end. Does anyone else hope to see a good old fashion cliffhanger this time around?

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope they go the Desolation of Smaug route and have the movie just end with a cliffhanger, that would be awesome

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    There needs to be a Cliffhanger of some sort.

4. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I wouldn't mind a cliffhanger in EpVIII and maybe Episode EVII. Though I probably go insane during those two or three years

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Just some loose threads

That Bad Huh likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not a fan of cliffhangers. I love Grey's Anatomy but that's one thing I didn't like...every season ended with some god-awful cliffhanger.

I think having to wait three years to find out if Vader was really Luke's father, ruined me for cliffhangers forever.

7. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001

funny, it made me love them. I remember for 3 years debating it with friends over and over. I was sure Vader was a lair and this was his way to get Luke to join them.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's what I thought as well.

9. Darth Kermit

Darth Kermit Jedi Knight

Oct 22, 2013
    I'd love a cliffhanger to VII and VIII. Gives us something to speculate on for the start of the following film. I think there will definitely be loose ends left to be tied up in Episode IX, but that's to be expected as its going to be a 3 part story.

10. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    My dad didn't like how they froze Han right at the end, and then he had to wait three years to see a rescue. It's always entertaining to push SW discussions in that direction so he can rant about that. :p

I don't mind a good cliffhanger though. I love to speculate what happens next. I remember as a kid, I used to spend long nights with my magna-doodle, playing out what I thought would happen in Episode III... Haha

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah. Speculating about Episode 3 in the years before it came out was so much fun.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  12. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    If they're going to do a cliffhanger, I'd rather it be a "soft" cliffhanger rather than a direct one. Perhaps Episode VII sets up the threat and they're clearly gaining a lot of power, and the cliffhanger can simply be the knowledge that the heroes have a really difficult task ahead of them.

What I don't want is a Desolation of Smaug cliffhanger where the film just abruptly stops as you're getting all excited. Empire had a great ending, just don't stop the film seemingly mid-act.

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    TDOS ending was inspired by the Empire's ending

14. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Sure, if Empire had ended in the middle of Luke and Vader's lightsaber duel.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Okay, I kinda wanna see that

Lucas, get yourself a time machine and go back and remake TESB and have the film end during the Luke-Vader duel and see how people will react:p

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Imagine if the Falcon hadn't escaped into Hyperspace and then the movie ended.

I was expecting Smaug to be slain in DOS.......................

17. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    They should've called it The Hobbit: The Desolation of Sma...

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Everyone did, but i loved the way it ended :) :p

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    It worked at least.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  21. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I always despised cliffhangers, mostly due to the fact that one has to wait years to see them resolved, and that waiting period is so very frustrating.

When it comes to Star Wars, though, it never really felt that way as although they were present--notably in Empire Strikes Back--they did not leave you with a feeling of despair as you count down the final seconds of the film knowing it is unlikely to wrap up the current story, and therefore if done to that same effect in the ST, whereby it still gives you the feeling of a satisfactory conclusion while at the same time not wrapping up current events, and leaving you wanting more, I would not mind seeing a cliffhanger.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  22. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I'm not sure I'd be too happy about a cliffhanger in Episode VII, but I wouldn't scream about one in VIII. For VII, I think I'd just prefer a decent storyline that paves the way for the EU to be fixed up, and I'd be content with that.
    Hahaha I was 10 when Episode 3 came out, all I really knew by then was I actually got to see how Anakin became Darth Vader. I actually read the Stover novelization BEFORE I saw the movie, and my dad wasn't too pleased about that :p

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes. The closing line should also be: "I am fire. I am...death."

Revious Nugo and Sarge like this.
  24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    TDOS had a great ending, but just like the ending of AUJ, it definitely left me wanting more. I also thought Smaug would be killed, but once I saw it I wasn't surprised he survived the movie. Also, I've been a bit confused by people saying that the title made them think he would die in this movie... that's not what "desolation" in the title refers to.

Anyway, a TESB style cliffhanger would be cool, but I also remember how hard it was waiting from 1980 to 1983. :p

25. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Yeah, count me into the thinking-he-would-die club. I voted no, but reading down the page changed my answer to yes, as it will get me excited for 8.