main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should there be a gay character in Episode VII Pt 2

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Esg, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    How does adding people who like other people of the same gender break your suspension of disbelief? I mean they even have frigging Ferrets and Ponies if you go by the Ewoks TV Movies

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We are intelligent people who should be capable of having a civilized conversation about this, I don't know why there are persistent comments about it needing to be locked. It should only be locked if people persist on acting like a bunch of middle-schoolers and using the "f*g" word. So far the majority of posts are not like that; it does not need to be locked because of a small minority.

No, sexual orientation is not a "big plot point," but why does it need to be? Feminism is not a "big plot point" either, however, I remember 1977 and Leia was one of the first of her kind not to behave like the Disney Princess locked in the tower. She got bashed for it too.

And ROTFLMAO at the idea that "inclusion of a gay character" is the same as "inclusion of a graphic sex scene." [face_rofl] I've had to tell a few of my friends to stop having graphic sex with their partners so that we could watch our kids swim, take pictures of our kids in their Halloween costumes, talk about Star Wars, play Trivial Pursuit, eat dinner, etc. etc. But damn, those gay people would only stop having graphic sex long enough to watch Will and Grace reruns, buy track lighting and try to force me to become attracted to women.

ETA: Good points, Esg . As someone who just watched Lincoln last night, I am very thankful that the "majority" does not always have the power when it comes to mass discrimination. The 13th Amendment debate re-enactment made me cringe. And maybe I am just too optimistic about the state of America but I have a very difficult time believing that "the majority" cares that much about sexual orientation anyway, I think it's just an outspoken minority that still has an issue with it.

Esg likes this.
  3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That is really the main point I think. I don't see that there is an important reason to change this; it just isn't a part of Star Wars to explore or elude to this subject, I say maintain the spirit of what it is.

StarWarsFan91 likes this.
  4. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    No.

There was no need to make a new thread about this, especially after the first one was locked.

This is tantamount to trolling.

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Why is it that those who do not want to see a gay character on screen, are the ones demanding that the discussion be shut down?

I'm noticing a correlation here and I'm just curious. Why is it such a problem to discuss it?

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    OK, but strong female characters are VERY MUCH a part of what has and always will make up Star Wars (a hallmark of the story). That is different than going in another direction with a new plot point.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Unless the story takes an existing character and makes him or her gay, which I do think would look shoehorned, I don't think inclusion of a gay character is "going in another direction with a new plot point." I'm not talking about a story in which Luke comes out of the closet or even a story about Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon being gay, as they were both straight in the EU. But as Star Wars has many, many characters in each movie, I'm not sure why it would be such a stretch if one of those characters ended up being gay.

8. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think those things are overstating the case (it isn't the 50's anymore), it is more about whether the new story would add to quality and be really in the spirit of SW.

I am going to guess that the writer (a two time acadamy award winner) is NOT going to include a gay character because he doesn't think it will be important for the quality of the story. I think George and Kathleen are pretty liberal, I don't think they would hold out gay characters for hate. I don't know what Disney would make of it, but from what I understand, they pretty much stay out of the way creatively.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Was the inclusion of Jack Harkness "Going in another direction with a new plot point" about bisexuality, in Doctor Who?

Esg likes this.
  10. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Gay people are very important to the worlds society. If they featured at 3 gay or bi characters in these new next generation movies _d buy 5 tickets just for me & support Disneys effort.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That is minimizing the statement that you would be making with a gay character though, in the same way you make a statement with a strong female characters. There is very little alluding to anyone's partner/wife/girlfriend at all, so why would you allude to that? Think about all of the Star Wars characters, there are only a few that you know anything about in that way. The only time it is brought up is when it is important for the story really. They would only bring in a gay character if it was important for the story.

By going in another direction, I meant something that WASNT a part of SW, unlike the strong female character was. Strong female characters ARE an integral part of SW, gay characters are not.

12. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I see the Star Wars bullies are showing their head in this topic? Now they hate the gay community?? What a shame

13. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Bullies, trying to control what can & canot be talked about on the forum. Closet control freaks, pay them no mind.

14. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    What about Human/Twi'lek, Human/Bothan and/or Twi'lek/Bothan romances?

15. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    This.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a "Diversity" thread in the Literature forum- which discusses the more general question "Should LFL increase diversity"- that's not constantly being asked to be locked.

This thread is simply an Episode VII version of that, focussed on a particular subset.

anakinfansince1983 and Esg like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    We saw Leia, Padme and Mon Mothma very differently then--I didn't see any of them as Lucas making a statement about a strong female character being important. IOW, I didn't see "strong female characters are important to Star Wars." (Unless I'm misunderstanding?) Leia, Padme and Mon Mothma all happened to be strong and female (OK, aside from Padme losing her strength in ROTS, but let's not go there).

BTW, I appreciate your disagreeing with me in such a civil manner, your posts are proof in point of how we can discuss this and disagree on this without blowing up the thread to the point where it needs to be locked.

18. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    As I said in the previous thread, I see no way in which adding more diversity is any sort of issue for the series. As someone else posted in the previous thread, simply having a character reference their same-sex partner in the context of the scene is demonstrating that the Star Wars Universe is more diverse. It was done well in the EU and I can't see why it wouldn't work just as well in the film.

In regards to the posts saying Disney might not be on board with this, as has already been said they extend full benefits to both straight and same-sex couples and they also have "Gay Day's" at their park as well as allowing same-sex weddings in their park. Add to this that recently the Marvel comics featured a same-sex marriage between a gay superhero and his male partner which is also owned by Disney and I really can't see why they would have any issue with this.

19. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, do me a favor and try not to toss me in with your correlation, please. Speaking personally, I've no problem discussing it, but I'm simply detaching myself from the emotion inherent in a discussion such as this and saying that it has been dicussed - for many days now (so most everybody has surely had their opportunity to be heard), and apparently a forum moderator found reason enough to shut it down. Forum-wise, I see no reason to immediately begin a "Part 2" to any topic when this first topic had plenty of responses and was subsequently shut down. It shows no respect for the decision of the mods. Even if I were advocating for gays in SW, I would still feel this way about a second go at the topic, is all.

lord_eidolon likes this.
  20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, and does anyone else remember the Southern Baptists boycotting Disney in the late 1990s because they extended benefits to same-sex partners?

I had a VHS of The Lion King in Spanish that I showed my Spanish classes and a couple of kids had to abstain because their parents were part of the boycott.

As far as the last thread, I'm not privy to the mods' decisions, but as I recall, there was a lot of tossing around of Bible verses and not as much discussion of how a gay character could, or could not, fit into a Star Wars movie. My point is that a discussion on this topic does not have to follow the deterioration of the last thread.

21. sashlon1138

sashlon1138 Jedi Knight

Nov 2, 2012
    Considering that I want to be able to take my kids to see this movie...

No

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    They should have stayed if for no other reason than to enjoy the fact that the gay character was the villain.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My kids are aware that some people have a Mom and a Dad, some people have two Moms, some people have two Dads, and some people are raised with only a Mom or a Dad. They call my best friend from high school and his (sadly, now late) partner "Uncle Rich" and "Uncle John".

I'm not sure why a same-sex character would keep anyone from taking their kids to see a movie, it would never stop me, but obviously that's your call. I just can't see that as a reason to ban a same-sex character from a movie.

24. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    So you're fine with taking your children to see a film that might feature torture (ESB) or torture of a droid (ROTJ) or someone having their limbs sliced off (ANH, ESB, AOTC, ROTS), people dying (All of the previous films) but this is too much?

Esg and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I don't see why torture of a droid should bother anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.