main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    on facebook I keep seeing stuff about a confirmed obi wan movie called balance of the force. also apparently the young solo and Boba fett movies are the same and not two separate films (good imo).

how much of this is true?

2. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Sorry to quote myself here but I just wanted to link back to this.

I was thinking about how the above would be a bit like a sci-fi, western with the feeling of a heist movie like Oceans 11.

11-4D likes this.
  3. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    It's iust Ben lookin over Luke following him around making sure he doesn't get I trouble watching him pick up power converters, getting chased off by uncle Owen.

4. Darth Master Titus

Darth Master Titus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 10, 2014
    I hope they do not do an Obi-Wan babysitting story. If there is no creative story line post RoTS they can think of, keep it pre-Clone Wars.

5. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    Why not do a film of his stuff during the Clone Wars? Too hard to do a story of that with the 5 (6?) season canon CGI series already existing?

6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Love the idea of "Adventures on Tattoine Babysitting". Ben comes over to babysit little Lukey while Owen and Beru go off to the movies and a restaurant.

Of course Luke escapes and all sorts of Hijinks Ensue, with Ben trying to retrieve him, usually resulting in Ben getting whacked in the privates or his hair caught on fire.

It needs the late great John Hughs as director.

7. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    The fact that Ewan came to JJ's studio just to do one line of dialog for TFA is a great sign that Ewan is keen to do a Kenobi spin-off. I think he's all but signed on. Lucasfilm is probably just zeroing in on a treatment, screenwriter and director in order to green light it. I think we will see Obi-Wan back on screen not long after the Han Solo movie.

Who do you all want to see direct KENOBI?

I'll cast my vote for Denis Villeneuve who just did Sicario, and also did the fantastic Prisoners and bizarrely surreal Enemy. He got great performances from Jake Gyllenhaal in the latter two, and he directed Benicio del Toro (episode 8) in Sicario.

8. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    Good pick.

Some other suggestions:
    -Jeff Nichols (Mud, Midnight Special)
    -Ryan Coogler (Fruitvale Station, Creed).
    -Alex Garland (Ex Machina)

All three are great with smaller nuanced stories, which is what I'm hoping to see from a Kenobi film, a sort of downbeat samurai/western style. Coogler also showed some very intense inventive camera work in Creed.

For the story, I'd want it to be about Obi-Wan's relationship with the force and being a Jedi, a self-reflection on where it's gotten him, what he's given up, etc. Have a love interest and the path of a normal life laid before him. Have flashbacks to his youth, where he grew up, his relationship with his parents, first becoming a Jedi, etc (forgive me if Clone Wars or something has already gone in to all this).

9. Jedi_Lantern

Apr 3, 2013
    Is there room in the canon for Obi-Wan to fight Vader in-between III and IV? I can't remember if Vader assumed Obi-Wan had been dead until they faced off again in A New Hope. We always have Maul available for a sith fight in an Obi-Wan film in any case

10. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    No but you could easily have Obi-Wan dueling with some kind of bounty hunter or Inquisitor. I like the idea of some agent of the Empire actually finding Kenobi on Tatooine, confronting him, and Obi-Wan has to kill the bounty hunter/Inquisitor to protect himself and Luke.

11. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    No thanks. "When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master." Makes it seem they haven't met since Anakin was, well a learner in Episode 3.

12. Jedi_Lantern

Apr 3, 2013
    Oh yeah, I remember that line. Do we know one way or the other if Vader had no idea Obi-Wan was still alive until they crossed paths in ANH?

13. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Tarkin said something along the lines of "surely he must be dead by now", but Vader didn't seem too surprised that he was alive.

Dameron likes this.
  14. Jedi_Lantern

Apr 3, 2013
    yeah this would be fine. I just would prefer the whole film to not be set on Tatooine

I think this gives enough freedom for Obi-Wan to do things of import 5-10 years after his fight with Vader. That line is vague enough to perhaps allow enough plot freedom for Obi-Wan to have helped out the rebellion (or to have fought against the Empire a little on his own, or to have gone on some sort of adventures) to some extent in between III and IV and then maybe something happened and Obi-Wan goes completely silent and decides to completely devote his time to staying on Tatooine and watching Luke, leading to that line; "surely he must be dead by now"

15. Rodie

Apr 16, 2014
    There's no reason you can't have Obi-Wan travel off Tatooine briefly (few days) for necessary means. He knows where all the best star pilots hang out in Mos Eisley for a reason!

AprilMayJune, Deliveranze and GregMcP like this.
  16. Jedi_Lantern

Apr 3, 2013
    Could Obi-Wan meet with Yoda on Dagobah to discuss plans and the current situation? I'd like to see that

17. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

Definitely. I mean, how much is Kenobi going to do on Tatooine? Fight some gangsters, kill some bounty hunters? All fine and dandy for a short story, not a movie but you're gonna tell me Mr. BADASS JEDI MASTER WITH A BEARD OF GRANDNESS didn't ever leave that mud hole in 20 years?

AprilMayJune likes this.
  18. Shamear

Shamear Jedi Master star 1

Feb 9, 2014
    I'd like to see Obi Wan on a similar journey to Yoda in his Clone Wars arc. We could see Obi Wan go through the process of achieving the Force Ghost ability in live-action. Also, in those Clone Wars episode, Yoda was still yet to begin the actual training, those episodes only highlighted his trial. So in this movie we could see Obi Wan receive training from the ghost of Qui-Gon.

A recent rumour mentioned (or speculated) how we could see flashbacks of Obi Wan fighting in the Clone Wars. That would be a nice opportunity to see more of Anakin & Obi Wan in action together during the war, something we only got for like 20 mins during ROTS before they went off and became sworn enemies.

AAA_Tarpals and sizziano like this.
  19. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    You win ALL of my internet points for today for "beard of grandness." Bless you, friend. (heart)

Deliveranze likes this.
  20. Jedi_Lantern

Apr 3, 2013
    This would all be so good

Another rumor I recently read was they are considering doing a trilogy of Obi-Wan films. If they were to do multiple Obi-Wan films, do it like the fourth book in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. After three books of current events, the fourth book is mainly one long flashback that tells a self contained story that gives context to future events. Doing something like that could give us a whole movie of a Clone Wars flashback story starring Obi-Wan and Anakin

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Ewan-McGregor-Being-Courted-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Trilogy-71818.html

sizziano and Shamear like this.
  21. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    This HAS to happen. Ewan McGregor is the right age for a few more years yet. I wouldn't be concerned about the ageing situation, as it only took a 900 year old Yoda 20 years to go from being the most powerful Jedi to dying of old age.

It also shouldn't just be a story about Obi farting around with sandpeople and the Hutt on Tatooine. If he is protecting Luke, that doesn't mean he can't go off planet to achieve this. A basic outline could be Qui-Gon appearing to him warning of some impending danger to Luke or Leia then he must leave to defeat. How about the Emperor, secretly from Vader, reconnecting with Maul and asking him to see if Anakin did have kids and to try to find them. Palpatine knows that Vader is only part of what he could be due to his injuries, but his offspring could replace him. Obi-Wan must face and defeat Maul once more, before he gets close enough to sense the kids.

Jedi_Lantern and AprilMayJune like this.
  22. AprilMayJune

Nov 18, 2015
    ...You guys, I really want this movie to happen. Can I, like, will it into existence if I try hard enough?

Shamear and Jedi_Lantern like this.
  23. Jedi_Lantern

Apr 3, 2013
    It'll happen. I expect an announcement this year

AprilMayJune likes this.
  24. AprilMayJune

Nov 18, 2015
    I like your optimism. It gives me hope. :)

Jedi_Lantern likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Utterly mad that the only "anthology" film that I am not lulled to sleep by the mere concept of is the one that is little more than a speculated fancast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.