main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should there be a local war/crisis pre-TFA?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 21, 2017.

?

Should their be another pre-TFA crisis?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. maybe

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. I don't care

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Let us look at from Snoke's point-of-view. Snoke and his First Order want the New Galactic Republic to be distracted from what is being built in the Unknown Regions. Snoke and his thugs do not have to do much. It is very likely the galaxy-spanning democracy is riddled with potential 'powder kegs waiting to explode'. Thousands perhaps millions of small 'brushfire' conflicts exist in the New Galactic Republic. Snoke's First Order can pick and choose which bit of chaos to help flare up via 'middle-men'. Snoke and First Order must not allow any traces of tampering lead back to their doorstep. So Snoke has his operatives indirectly support those conflicts that can mask the bigger threat in the Unknown Regions. Snoke and thugs will set individuals, groups, communities, nation-states, whole planets, whole systems and whole sectors up for all-manner of scandal. The result is a New Galactic Republic that is divided and barely decisive on several issues. This plays into the First Order's grand plan and propaganda - democracy does not work. So - like the Old Galactic Republic before it - the current one is easy to manipulate. Even more so it seems since all the New Galactic Republic has to keep the uneasy peace are - 1. Several PSDs that may or may not come together for the common good, 2. A relatively small centralized / federalized starfleet that is only 10% of what it was at the Battle of Jakku. It lacks a third element of support because it appears a new Jedi Knighthood never fully materialized. So yes Snoke and the First Order encourage indirectly misery and confusion for their enemy. At least until Snoke and his thugs can put the New Galactic Republic out of existence via the Starkiller Base and 'mop-up' strikes against any surviving stragglers.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I am torn. On one hand, I want the heroes and the Republic to have succeeded in establishing at least some peace in the galaxy. On the other, the fact that there are, or at least were, multiple governments splitting off from the Empire and who knows how many independent planetary governments opens up a lot of interesting story opportunities.

For example, an independent planet might have a civil war, with one side backed by the Union and the other by the Confederacy, with the First Order trying to manipulate the situation to bring both governments to war, and the heroes trying to restore peace.

...Which makes it a shame that the new canon seems to have decreased the role of the new jedi order, because I really like to see them try to fight for justice and keep the peace in a complex, multi-polity galaxy, possibly with jedi from the different areas and thus with divided loyalties, rather than the jedi being tied entirely with one government and essentially just acting as magic commandos for the New Republic.

And yeah, the collapse of the Hutts and the anti-slavery conflicts sounds like it could make for some great stories.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I have the belief the Jedi Order will be revealed to be "not completely dead" ala Star Wars Rebels once the new trilogy is done.

4. I think they have to write new stories during this era and particularly I am more excited by new material coming from that era than in the OT era

Although it will be very difficult to overcome the works of the old expanded universe But I think the writers can do a great job of making new stories based on that era

I just hope that Thrawn is alive so they can make a story similar to the Thrawn Trilogy I also want to see new characters a new Kyle Katarn during that era would be very interesting to see

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I honestly expect the Rebels to do the Honghor storyline and have Rukh turn against Thrawn before killing him as the plot of Season 4.

6. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    The "Thrawn Campaign" as shown in The Thrawn Trilogy was far more than a "local" war, the Imperial Remnant went from a quarter of it's former territory to briefly covering most of the galaxy again. That kind of conflict just doesn't fit in the New Canon. For starters, there's no "Imperial Remnant" for Thrawn to gain control of, save a few holdouts after Jakku, but in a few months they're all annexed into the New Republic. (Some early reference books made it seem like there was a sort of Imperial Remant, but newer stuff makes it clear that's not the case). The First Order basically fills that "Imperial Remnant" role, and they're in hiding until a few years before TFA. For another thing, around the time of TFA there's been peace for years, the New Republic doesn't consider the First Order a threat, and they think Leia's attitude of preparing for war is delusional. If it turns out that another, completely separate hidden Imperial fleet had previously ravaged the galaxy and brought the NR to it's knees, then the NR goes from "in denial" to "complete idiots".

There's only two possible fates for Thrawn: he dies, or he goes off into the Unknown Regions to help found the First Order. And how many kids stories do you know of that end with "The heroes finally beat the villain who had given them so much trouble, but instead of getting his comeuppance he fled to a distant land where he did even more evil in secret. The End."?

7. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    About Thrawn after the Battle of Jakku in the Disney-canon...

Perhaps Thrawn managed not to commit any war crimes in the eyes of the New Galactic Republic. Perhaps Thrawn was given a choice by the NR's Judicial Department after arrest. Those choices are to 1. Become a common citizen of the NR - perhaps not allowed to be an official military officer, but invited as a civilian to be an advisor to the NR. Likely joins the Centralist political party, 2. Accept exile from NR space - which in turn can mean - A. Thrawn returns to Chiss space, B. Thrawn looks for service in non-NR galactic-states (perhaps this reunites him with his old friend and former translator - who also committed no war crimes. 3. Some sort of combination of all or some of these fates? 4. Perhaps Snoke is a fictional creation of Thrawn. Sort of like Thrawn being akin to the 'wizard' in The Wizard Of Oz. I know that's rather strange, but Thrawn is continuing to prepare the civilized galaxy for some major threat(s). The NR is a lost cause from his perspective. Only the First Order has the tools to repel those coming threats. Or perhaps Snoke is really the Son-Of-The-Dark from the Mortis Monument 'space station'. Thrawn became allied to Snoke / SOTD.

8. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    While Timothy Zahn exonerated Thrawn for the war crimes referenced in Rebels, the simple fact is he's a pretty ruthless and cruel leader in the cartoon.

As we see with his "lesson" using factory slave labor.

AusStig likes this.
  9. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I think in 30 years time there will be some friction between old enemies that was kept in check by the Empire.

My theory is (and somewhat supported by all the polities mentioned in Empire's End) that there are dozens if not hundreds of independent republics, imperiums, hegemonies, authorities, alliances, confederacies, protectorates, etc...throughout the galaxy after the fall of the Empire. After 1000 years of Republic corruption and 20 years of Imperial tyranny people want to keep politics and government relatively local.

In this mix you may see border disputes over territories and resources that turn into full on bush wars.

DARTH_MU likes this.
  10. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I want to see Imperial version of the Resistance against the First Order.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    TERRORISM!

FILTHY STATE-SUPPORTED TERRORISM!

12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Join the Resistance!

[​IMG]

13. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Let's keep in mind "30 years" might be overstating it a little. The Empire is dissolved in 5 ABY. Bloodline takes place in 28 BBY, and there has been peace for long enough that even Ransolm thinks increasing military spending is foolish. So we have 23 years (give or take) in which to have minor conflicts, but that's still plenty of time.

It would be impossible to have an "Imperial vesion of the Resistance against the First Order" given that the Imp holdouts in known space are absorbed in the "months" after Jakkuu, and the FO doesn't reveal itself until around the time of Bloodline. But I am 1000% sure we'll get some sort of Imp civil war in the unknown regions, between those who eventually reorganize into the FO, and those who want to go in a different direction.

Speaking of which, there's a lot you can do w the holdouts (the violent ones anyways), short lived they may be. If they're fanatical enough to keep fighting after the surrender, why haven't they fled to the unknown regions with the rest? Did they just not get the memo? Do they not trust whoever sent that order? Maybe they're pro Imperial, but have more loyalty to a sector or home world. Maybe a planet wants to surrender but fanatics attempt to take control like WW2 Japan. Maybe they're just warlords, or want to make their own little one system Empires. There's lots of flavor u can add. But above all, I want see aliens in Imp armor n vehicles. I don't care if they're criminals with stolen tech, a Nu version of Fel Imperials, or a new version of the Diversity Alliance, I wana see it

MercenaryAce and Cracian_Thumper like this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I would also like to know, exactly, what the Imperial Resistance would have against the First Order?

They're not sufficiently evil?

15. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    They killed our beloved Alter Mater leader Grand Admiral Rae Sloane.

Every member in that cult is a traitor to the Empire.

That and they refused to pay for our Stormtrooper patent.

And that they refused to recognize our Supreme Court under Judge Nash Windrunner.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  16. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    So you're mad about a bunch of things you made up?

FanFic is over there...

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

17. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    k
    But I thought this whole thread was speculation/fanfic?
    my bad

edit: same with all the 'shipping thread.

18. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    There's speculation based on stuff that's been presented in works so far and then there's getting worked up over stuff that came from nowhere.

Edit: Like, there's an interesting point you made but why make up a supreme court?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

19. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    oh that was just a joke because the Imperial resistance is bringing the First Order to court for Stormtrooper patent, but unfortunately the FO doesn't recognize the court's authority

20. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I really wish the NuCanon went the EU route of both the NR and Empire surviving the Civil War. In the ST the Rebels and Imperials would unite against a common foe. Setting aside old grudges. A powerful message I'd say. Hence Legacy being one of my favorite SW stories.