main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST should there be a new jedi fighting style?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sons_of_anakin_tatooine, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

sons_of_anakin_tatooine Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2005
    i was thinking about this for a wile now and if we think back to the old trilogy they used i believe kendo fighting and i was thinking maybe this new trilogy can do something with eskrima stick fighting

eskrima stick fighting video

Dak Oolron likes this.
  2. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    I'm sure I heard something about that being used somehow in the prequels. I'd like to see a combination of both, honestly there is not a bad duel any of the six films. I guess I'm just a martial arts enthusiast and just like to see a mesh of different styles :)

Dak Oolron, D.A. McCoy and Rabs like this.
  3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think you raise an interesting point... but I suppose it depends on who the combatants are in Ep VII... I wouldn't expect anything as graceful as Obi-Wan or Dooku for instance, but perhaps if we're looking at rag-tag Jedi and Sith then the style is less sophisticated/more basic and is the Star Wars duelling equivalent of bare knuckle boxing?

4. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I hope to see many new jedi in the ST, all of them with different styles of fighting.

Dak Oolron and Darth Raiden like this.
  5. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    I really like to see lightsaber forms being introduce I can't really see it hamper the movies and could give an explanation to how vader had to adapt to his body and the like

6. markn74

markn74 Jedi Padawan

Sep 5, 2013
    It would be very cool to see these kind of styles used. How would a Jedi adept to a Sith or other force user (or the other way around) that uses light sabers the size of daggers or knives. The knife scene from Under Siege comes to mind. I think the more blades the better. Big board sword styles like the OT to Arabian style curved swords and the fighting styles to match would be so cool. Jedi killing Sith and Sith killing Jedi in open war fare.

7. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

Sep 28, 2005
    so you mean a spefic style for that specific charachter? i was toying with that idea also but i didnt want to make it seem kind of like a chinese martial arts film ya know?

8. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    ahh my favourite topic in discussing Star Wars :D

As a Sword Enthusiast, I would love to see a mix of both western and Eastern forms flow together from renaissance duelling to Iaido techniques, combined with what we've seen before.

Dak Oolron and Darth Raiden like this.
  9. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

Sep 28, 2005
    better video for eskrima

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I like seeing different forms used against each other, like in the final duel in Rob Roy with rapier against broadsword. What I don't want to see is combatants doing a lot of flashy silly moves "cuz they look cool" even if they'd get a person killed in a real fight. So, use any style, including newly invented ones, as long as it stays realistic.

11. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    Sarge: couldn't agree more with your post :)

12. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I will say that I loved all the wushu flip-a-roo stuff for MAUL. But no one else.

Granek likes this.
  13. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    Fighting in most movies is so stylized that its really its own "style" of combat.

The PT didn't change how the Jedi fought because someone brought a new style of fighting, it was changed because the type of sword/lightsaber fights that people found excisting in 1977 and 1980 weren't viewed as the height of excitment in 1999 and 2002. There is a reason Prince Nuada and ST Jedi fight in a similar way, and Wesley and OT Jedi fight in a similar way, the art of screen combat and choreography had changed (just look at musicals, from the 50's, 70's and today - the same thing happens with dance).

We will not see lightsaber duels similar to the OT simply because those kinds of fights are....out of style/date. I don't think we'll see something as acrobatic and "fluff filled" as the Maul fight in TPM, those are kinda out of date as well. I would guess we'll get fights similar to Anakin/Obi-wan (at least the first past of it). Active and athletic but also more grounded in "reality". That seems to be style we get/see these days, even Yoda v.s Palpatine was more subdued and grounded then Yoda vs Dooku (though I would guess we won't see anymore 2 foot high people fighting with Ligthsabers).

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I just want to get the feel that each and every cut and slash and stab is actually aimed at the enemy in some way, not that it's included for the sole purpose of having a flashy fight. I would maybe say go a bit more in the direction of medieval / ancient fights, a bit more harsh, with less flourish and posing and more actual fighting. Have the combatants use a bit more "dirty tricks" in fights. It is a fight for your live, anyway, you'll use anything at your disposal to win or at least get away. Kicks, punches, cheap shots, throwing objects, grab the guy by the throat, twist his ankle, etc, etc. That's the general feel I think they should go for.

Individual Jedi and Sith should, of course, have their own distinct fighting styles, varying in speed, strength, acrobatics, Force use and so on.

Dra---, Dak Oolron, danmcken and 3 others like this.
  15. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Mauls fighting in TPM was Wuxia style, not Wushu. Wushu is a real form of Kung Fu (that Ray Park knows). Wuxia is a style of movie/action in a movie from China that involved very stylised fighting that mixes combat with acobatics and wire work.

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree. I loved most of the PT duels, but this is an example of something we don't need:
    [​IMG]

17. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

This is one of my favorite sword battles on film for 2 reasons. First, every sword does feel like it has weight and mean to it (which isn't always the case anymore, as they want to get a certain amount of flash in there) and Second, it marries up two style of filming the fight. The first have is more modern (though still almost 30 years old at htis point) and stylized with quick cuts while the second half is performed more like a play.

danmcken likes this.
  18. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012

Someone on these boards actually explained sometime ago that THAT is some French style thing where the foes are very familiar with each other's fighting style and then do this twirly thingy to see what move the other fella's gonna make and exploit it, since both know other's moves. Or something along those lines. Leave it to French to swordfight without actually hitting each other :p

Point is - yes, it may be a valid style, but it's an esoteric fact not known to most viewers which leaves 90% of the audience thinking it just looks like two guys impersonating windmills on amphetamines.
    Nothing wrong with including things the audience doesn't recognise, but only if they don't look downright silly.

19. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

But that ist he style of movie combat these days, extra moves and flurshs that look good to create excitment in the combat. Peronally I'd like to see something like the follow clip. It certainly has its fluff and non-sense moves and weapon twirls, but they are....hidden (for a lack of a better) much better then in some other movies

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  20. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013
    I could be wrong, but I think someone was pulling crap out of their butts. I've been training in martial arts and weapon's for 20 years and never seen anyone say this kind of move is something you'd ever do. Maybe its something like a spinning move, everyone learns them but you also learn that you never actually try one irl.......

21. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

Sep 28, 2005

i was thinking eskrima for jedi and maybe kfm for sith

kfm was used in the nolan batman films and is still a fresh new martial art

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I guess I would add clarity to my statement above to say that there was plenty of flash and excitement in the duel between Maul and Obi-Wan in TPM, but it also had substance to it, so it was great. And most of the rest of Anakin and Obi-Wan's duel in ROTS was fine.

23. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012

Well, it certainly doesn't seem like anything that's effective. I recall the explanation vaguely, it somewhat made sense, but I'm no expert. And that doesn't change the fact that it's a silly move :p

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  24. sons_of_anakin_tatooine

Sep 28, 2005

the only beef i had with the anakin obiwan fight was it would cut between them and yoda vs palps. i would have loved to see that vader obiwan fight be the ultimate fight through and through

25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, there are at least clips on YouTube that remove those cuts to just show Anakin and Obi-Wan all the way through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.