main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST should there be a new jedi fighting style?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sons_of_anakin_tatooine, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    The Lukevaaapaad.

2. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    I completely disagree. Ewan Mac, Hayden..Samuel L., are not physical actors and it showed in painful fashion. Having real fight coordinators working with stunt men with choreo experience is a winning formula (see the Matrix and Batman) . Not Gillards baton twirling competition.

3. Max@TSWP

Max@TSWP Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 21, 2014
    I would like to see the series move to a more European sword fighting style and with the new menage sabla broad saber I think we will finally get it. Take the sword battle between Gwen Christie and the Hound in the last season of GOT. Epic, real and brutal.

4. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    Yeah, we'll just have to see about that.

5. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I think Kylo will be fast and fierce. Luke will be slower but strike effortlessly. Think aikido with a lightsaber. They would be smart for each lightsaber fighter has their style .

6. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Luke will have to be defensive Kylo's fast style momento could go against him Luke will take advantage.

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    drunken master

8. Darth Dookacas

Sep 29, 2014
    I think Luke will use short swift movements. Imagine force blocking spinning his opponent, side stepping knocking him down without swinging his saber. Kylo might be a powerful forward moving aggressive fighter. Rey might have swift but elegant movement like Crouching Tiger without the flying around. Finn might mirror Lukes OT style but he will be better hand to hand. Kylo master might have some new force power we never seen before. I remember the first time I saw force lightning I thought it was over for Luke. I think the chrome troopers will be the guys from the Raid and they will be amazingly fast and great hand to hand and with weapons. I think we will see some sort of bounty hunters as well helping the Empire find Luke.

9. spacename_the_name

spacename_the_name Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2005

He's in his 50's, done with the high flying spinning movements. He should be very efficient with his technique now. Straightforward and to the point. It'll look cool, not in the same way the PT did.

10. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Saying the PT fights looked cool is subjective. That's your opinion :)

11. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    i could see him flinging the saber and chopping through something if needed, and most likely going vader in TESB against an opponent and just sitting back and letting objects fight for him. i would really like to steer clear of the wizard look using your hands to do everything though.

danmcken likes this.
  12. spacename_the_name

Feb 5, 2005
    They were more choreographed. They were "technically" more advanced. There is no denying the electricity of Obi-Wan vs. Maul, it was unlike anything we've seen up to that time. But yes, there will be no topping the ESB duel between Vader and Luke.

13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

14. spacename_the_name

Feb 5, 2005
    M'Mod *tips hat

EHT likes this.
  15. Darth Dookacas

Sep 29, 2014
    TFA will have emotional focus in the battles. JJ does fast pace but heavy hitting action. The PT battles were more flash than emotional weight. In ROTS the fight were emotionally charged TPM and AOTC did not have emotional weight because we did not know the villians like we knew Vader in ESB. Dooku Maul and Grievous were puppets. Obi Wan vs Anakin Yoda vs The Emperor packed emotion because we knew the combatants and the stakes was so high. The PT battles climaxed in ROTS and the saga climax was the throne room in ROTJ.

16. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Well personally I only liked the Maul v Qui Gonn brief clash on Tatooine out of every sabre fight in the PT. They tried to go too Hong Kong with most of the others. And the thing is with that Hong Kong style is it's done properly by Hong Kong choreographers for starters, and secondly no Hong Kong cinema fight is ever meant to emotionally engage you. It's designed to entertain and make you laugh at its absurdity. But all the while making you admire the skill and adeptness of it. This whole ethos just did not fit a Star Wars movie for me.

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. LUH-3417

May 11, 2001

you nailed it, exactly what i was trying to say but couldnt word it. mostly because i didnt know that awful stuff was nicknamed hong kong. #$%# that hong kong phooey, its all flash and gets a little silly. definately want to see OT chopping and just plain fighting til your tired moments like OT and end of ROTS

TooMuchBBQ and Jcuk like this.
  18. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I dont know I want a balance. I mean I want the force users to look Superhuman but I dont need unnecessary back flips and twirling either.

19. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    For those balking at the 'Hong Kong' fighting is mind boggling..aren't Jedi based off of Samurai ? Every Jedi and Sith had extensive unarmed combat training; By the Time Luke was Grandmaster he knew 'dozens' of hand-to-hand combat techniques. Why wouldn't Jedi incorporate some form of combat that is derived from Asian roots? especially if it works? Teras Kasi was created explicitly to combat Jedi and many Jedi and Sith incorporated the technique into their fighting styles. Star Wars is more rooted in Asian aspects than Western aspects.

20. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    There is some basis for an Eastern fighting style in canon now. IIRC, Ahsoka had fought using kicks some of the time which is more indicative of unarmed combat derived from Asia IMO.

Also I think Kanan in Rebels used what appeared to be either Judo or Karate.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. LUH-3417

May 11, 2001
    i think the idea coming from eastern influences is fine, i am specifically talking about the super choregraphed fight scenes for movies. the real dudes probably dont fight that perfect in real life and if they do wonderful for them but it kind of brings it back too much to watching cheesy ninja movies.

fyi, just watched revenge of the ninja from the 80's a few weeks ago. my wife wanted to kill me but i couldnt look away from it. its not as cool as it was when i was 10

22. Pogue

Pogue Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    I'd like to see some realistic, brutal, and efficient fighting styles like in The Raid 1-2, not a bunchy of flashy backflips and wires.

The movie before Revenge of The Ninja called Enter The Ninja might well be one of the worst things ever made. Even by 80s ninja movie standards it is bad.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Kanan is a pretty awesome fighter, and you're right, he does seem to use Judo or Karate–but he also uses some wrestling moves (he clotheslines a pair of stormtroopers). Pretty cool. See 7:47-8:02 for the Judo/Karate, and 11:40-11:52 for the clothesline.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Let's see umm, Qui-Gon killed by saber through chest, Maul cut in two, Anakin cut off at the elbow, Dooku behead, Anakin looses both legs and other arm.

What is a genuine swing? You mean where you put everything into one swing while the other highly trained guys steps out of the way and then cuts you down?

Well have to completely totally utterly disagree then. I'm not sure what your definition of subtlety is. What you think of as ridiculous movements seems absurd to me and if you think that Nick Gillard and George Lucas were thinking about making things look cool for a preadolescent crowd then you really are grasping a bit don't you think?

The GIF is profoundly stupid because to take it seriously is completely flawed in any way shape or form. What it does do though is give an example of how far some people will go to mock the story they don't like to the extreme rather than just say I don't like that and move on. Here we are 10 years after that movie is out and they are still going on and on about it. In all likelyhood the ST will get far far "stupider" sooner or later. As we've seen with JJ he loves doing lots of "stupid" stuff far more and much longer. The GIF production will be astounding.

25. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014
    I can't believe that many people, when imagining a moment as important and iconic as Obi Wan defeating Anakin and their final moments together, would think it should be immediately preceded by a CGI lava surfing sequence. Or doing tarzan swings. They fight for like ten minutes without saying anything to each other. They don't seem surprised to be fighting each other. They do a lot of fancy pants showman type stuff that you just would not do if you felt even remotely conflicted about a fight to the death with your best friend. And it gets thrown around a lot but it feels like a videogame. Mustafar is literally Bowser's castle. They progress through this level for no real reason. Where are they going? They're on a big tower! They're on a thin platform! They're on ropes now! Robot surfboards!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.