main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST should there be a new jedi fighting style?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sons_of_anakin_tatooine, Sep 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm a huge Jackie Chan. Not so much his Hollywood stuff, but his Hong Kong films from the 80's and early 90's. His films with Samo Hung and Yuen Biao are some of his best. The fight scenes and general action were fantastic. And they were often very funny. As far as awful Ninja films from the 80's goes? Ninja III The Domination was profoundly terrible. Had that girl from the BreakDance films in it, can't remember her name though. But it had the legend Sho Kosugi in it also. He was the man back in the day. :)

2. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001

and this is exactly why ive seen the end of that movie twice only since it came out.

Jcuk likes this.
  3. LUH-3417

LUH-3417 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2001
    another thing, 80's PG is nothing like now PG. i think i saw many a film with frontal with PG rating when i was a kid and now its rated correctly.

4. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    You want to talk about "grasping a bit" and "going on and on" about the prequels? Compare your post history with mine. LOL christ almighty!

5. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Whilst I thought ROTS was the best film of the PT by a long way, I was quite underwhelmed by the final duel between Anakin and Obi Wan. After a certain point - where Anakin and Obi Wan simultaneously force-pushed each other across that control room - it just got a bit silly for me. The GIF is a pretty good example of what was wrong with it.

Immortiss and Jcuk like this.
  6. El_Machete12

El_Machete12 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    So this is appears to be Mark Hamill's stunt double...

7. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i did not really like the lighstaber duel that much at Mustafar. Looked like a video game. I want to see some new styles

Sarge and nightangel like this.
  8. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    TPM Theed duel is the absolute best duel of the saga. It's great. OT was boring, visually.

JediMatteus likes this.
  9. Danfromumbrella

Danfromumbrella Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2014
    OT boring? I beg to differ. The luke/vader ending is one of the best moments of the series.

SISTERRRR...

NEVERRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Rage mode activated.

- Also, why does Luke need a stunt double if he's just getting handed a lightsaber?

10. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    you can break your hand, so a stunt double is needed. :rolleyes:

danmcken likes this.
  11. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    This is why I don't believe Luke just gets a lightsaber in the movie. A stunt double is used for....stunts...no? lol

Maybe there was a different code for Luke's fight scene. Force Buttkicker maybe?

nightangel likes this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    First off it isn't CGI. It's largely practical lava with some CGI enhancements. I'd hardly call it surfing.

I always thought lava might be around considering the story we heard. You know the one about fighting on a volcano or molten pit etc?

[/quote]
    Or doing tarzan swings. [/quote]

Have you seen Tarzan swing?

Actually it's more like the great scene in a movie called Quentin Durward except in ROTS it's only a pass or two.

The entire duel as we see it is less than 7 minutes long. They do plenty of talking before the start of the duel and then at the end and after. Other than that they are kind of busy.

I cannot disagree with you more on every single level. Considering that you obviously despise it and probably have seen it like once or twice then something is keeping you from seeing what is actually going on.

Again for whatever reason you personally don't want to follow the progression of the story, the duel, the character and emotion that permeates every level of the story. One can only assume you don't feel the same way for Vader and Luke on Cloud City yet they go from one level to the next and ultimatley all the way to the one place that Luke finally jumps off from to escape.

So I ask the question do you also find that to have no reason? Based off of your feeling for the one the other must also be the case?

No?

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Hard to tell from the video but does he seem capable of having a small cylinder handed to him and otherwise doing nothing?

14. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014

he did send twitter messages that he was in Abu Dhabi and Skellig Michael. ;)

15. unicron5

unicron5 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    The Maul duel was really cool, the Anakin/Obi-Wan one at the end of Ep. 3 felt like they're were trying too hard and it become kinda cartoony/silly as a result.

As awesome as Duel of the Fates is too, I remember seeing a preliminary cut of the Maul-Qui-Gon-Obi-Wan duel on 60 Minutes which didn't have the finished music but just the "whirr" sound effect of the power generators behind the characters.

It sounded really ... really cool. Just this eerie almost silence with the sizzle of lightsabers striking. I dunno, the sequence may have worked better without the music (as great as the music was maybe it could've been saved for something else).

16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    [​IMG]

17. B Wilson

B Wilson Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 26, 2014
    I certainly think a new Jedi fighting style wouldn't hurt.

I would really like to see a fighting style that is a bit more physical. An example being what Mace Windu did in Clone Wars 2004 on Dantooine against the battle droids.

As far as lightsaber fighting styles, I never really saw that much of a difference in the films (but then again I'm not a duelist/sword fighter so I wouldn't know what to look for).

So I guess I would like to see even greater variations in the fighting styles, if there even are any in the films.

18. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I've said before and I'll say it 100 more times (in a non-spam-like fashion when relavant to the conversation)

19. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    I'd like to see not so much a style difference but an attitude difference when duels are taking place. I feel Luke tapped into a deep well of power when he went into rage mode against Vader...but he was strong enough to control it...maybe that is what Luke teaches. Not quite, get mad and fight..but more of an....its ok to use emotion for more power when you need it..for the right reason..etc.

Swordsmanship is most important..but it seems in the PT...there was also so much emphasis on how high they could jump..or run or whatever...not that any of that is bad..but the movie makers tend to never keep those standards of 'talent' consistent. from trilogy to trilogy and from genre to genre. ie..Mace takes out a whole army of super battle droids and doesnt break a sweat. (Clone Wars). Obi-Wan and Vader duel on the DeathStar and both look so wooden that if either bumped the other...they both would fall down....yet they are more 'Powerful' than the dude who takes out a whole army of Super Battle droids.

I totally get it that different ideas were at play when each of these were being produced and therefore...the look, on screen is vastly different.....but there is no explanation for it..in universe. It makey no sense.

Take Duku for example. He was an old dude in ATC but he was bustin it up..taking on Yoda..fast forward to ANH, Obi-Wan....old dude..looks like he dueling with a bad case of arthritis.

Dont get me wrong..i am a die hard...I dont even care what happens so much in the movie as long as it remains rock solid consistent with the OT...at least from a story perspective.

20. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Just look to be entertained ;)

21. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
    Lumberjack style.

22. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    something like this, these young men did very well.. the song they picked, while I'm not a huge fan of, I thought was very apropos

Nando and thejeditraitor like this.
  23. Danfromumbrella

May 20, 2014
    I hate fast paced lightsaber battles. The way Luke used the lightsaber was the best to me. They're slightly slower swings but they were heavy hitting. You felt power with each strike and they held the sabers together more and I love hearing that cracklllllllleeeeeee extended. When it's too quick you don't get those feelings. All show less substance.

The perfect style would be heavy hitting with moments of quick bursts of energy, like when Vader says he's gonna convert his sister.

Sarge, DarthLightlyBruise and Nando like this.
  24. Granek

Granek Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2012
    yeah those OT fights were very very bad, horrible even

fighting doesn't work that way.. if one person is slow his opponent guts him in seconds then he is a slow dead fighter; wouldn't make sense to fight slowly, most blade fights be them knife or swords were minutes or seconds long, the fastest and strongest-usually won. Imagine a boxing match were the fighters only threw 5-10 punches per round.. not realistic-even in this fictional setting that is Star Wars-

The idea is to defeat/incapacitate your opponent as quickly as possible with as much speed and force as possible.

Mike Tyson-why was he such a bass ass? His speed power combination that was never saw in a heavy weight and we never will again.

25. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Whatever the technical merits of those fights, they worked brilliantly in service of the story (and were packed with dense emotion). We have to judge the fights in that context, IMO, and they succeed on a level that most film fights do not.

Taking things in a heavier direction, I would love to see a lightsaber version of the Brienne-Hound fight. One of the best fight scenes ever created, IMO:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.