main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should there be an over-25 section on the Forums.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Tiershon_Fett, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Unless I'm mistaken, this isn't all that much about age.

Tiershon_Fett, what you're saying is that the over 25 has a different view-point especially if they saw and remember the original trilogy when it first came out?

I agree that they may have a different perspective, but the perspective within an age group is more. As has been mentioned, age doesn't mean maturity or inteligence either.

There's no way that you could guarantee someone is 25, so you'd have to keep it a "G" forum. There already is a thread (the Geriatric thread). I'm one of those sad ones who is under 25, so I don't know how many "older" people are around who feel they need their own forum.

What you could always do is start your own forum and invite those who you think would enjoy it and are over 25 to go post there in addition to the JC.

2. xie

xie Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    What we should do is resrict access to the JCC and make a forum for all under 25 year olds to discuss this weeks Spongbob episode, the Powerpuff Girls, Yu Gi Oh!, and Dragonball Z.

3. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I'll be 27 two weeks from tomorrow and I have to respectfully disagree with my older counterparts here. Some of the most enjoyable discussion I've had at the JC has been with people that are a lot younger than me.

4. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    yes how do you deam someone is mauture? i stll watch cartoons does that make imiture,and what proof is there that 25 and older are more mauture?

5. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    isn't there already a thread for those who are older fans? didn't someone point that out?

and how many people really saw the movie when they were babies? ;)

Seriously, I don't think its necessary.

6. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I've mentioned it twice, JP has linked to it, and several other people have mentioned:
    -----
    The official Geriatric ward of the JC
    ----
    Quote from the first post:

[i]
    Well hello everyone over the age of 25...(or likeminded individuals). Now, I know that this type of...activity if you may, had been discussed in Communications...toic was locked..but THIS is the place where we old people can discuss things like...raising children (with some possible imput from some of the younger members of the JC), gardening, cooking...ect. You know, all of the things that bore the younger...jetset crowd. [/i]
    [hr]

Hope someone finally reads this, and that the info will be helpfull in bringing this thread, which seems to have run its course, to a close. :)

7. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    That's the point Jedi liz. Even you always say how the movies mean nothing to you, the books are better, etc. i was talking to my brother the other day, and his wife was 8 years younger. She only had SW on video.

for the people who saw the movies int he theatres, and had to wait a few years for the next one, it was a life altering experince. One my greatest influences in life. i want to find people with a like experience without being made fun of, of criticized or whatever. Our perception of the OT is 180 oppsite of the people's whose first taste of Sw was TTT, and think Zahn is SW. i will never feel that way, and I'm sick of arguing with those who DO feel that way. I don't want to dispute how they feel, but I don't want them to dispute how I feel when I say my say.

If we could have place where we have other who understand that, that would be great. I fel like I'm being handed my hat in here, and it's sad. It's like the most common sentiment is that I'm supposed to be ashamed GL, the PT, and so forth, and I'm not. I like LOTR, and I like other stuff, but if I want to be with those of like minds, then I will go to their boards and sites and discuss there. It's like you can't show admiration for something that shaped who you are, like it's not good enough. I have talked to many people and many that have left these boards that do feel that way. That shouldn't happen. And I'm not "geratric, not 55 or 65, but someone that was of the first generation of SW fans, and outr experience was unique and different form the rest.

8. Tiershon_Fett

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks Aragorn. I hate that title. It's like we're feeble minded or something. Why can't it be more respectful?

9. Tayschrenn

Tayschrenn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 24, 2002
    I think its a joke. :p

Tayschrenn

10. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    Well, seeing as it was started by someone who is only 32, and is designed for people from about the age of 25+, I'm guessing the title is simply a joke.

However, I'll bet a mod can edit the title if necessary.

11. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Because the people in that thread aren't super-serious about being 25-plus.

EDIT: No need to edit it, Aragorn.

12. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    i was born in 1980 i could of seen ESB and ROTJ for all you know tiershon_fett but than again i could still be etertaned by banging a woodenspoon on a pot,so i am basicly 25 what could i contribute to the original viewing? certinly not much.

13. Tiershon_Fett

Oct 25, 2000
    Okay, I feel better. I never heard of that thread.

14. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    I think that it's not an age issue (I'm 32, for the record). I know where Tiershon is coming from--the volume can give you a headache sometimes--but I think that it's an issue of maturity more than age. Drawing an age line will block out sixteen year olds who have a lot to contribute, while still allowing 25+-year-olds whose favorite hobby is being snide and rude.

I would favor having a movie discussion area that was limited to serious discussion of the movie. No bashing (which would leave us with no "gushing," since that's a defensive response to being bashed), no threads about "Who's sexiest?" Just basically a lot of people who like these movies talking about the things that interest them--what's the nature of good and evil as presented in the movies? What are the precedents? Etc, etc... mature subjects, which anyone of any age is welcome to participate in, as long as they follow the general rules, which would be similar to rules in the Amphitheater or the Senate. One for all the movies, Classic and Prequel--the whole saga. Full SW discussion.

15. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Is there anything wrong with mixing up "intelligent" discussion threads with some light-hearted threads in the existing forums?

16. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Those kinds of discussions go on here already. Maybe you have to hunt for them, or ignore the off-topicness that might happen. Wouldn't some of Tiershon_Fett's concerns be satisfied by the Saga Forum that's being talked about?

17. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Our perception of the OT is 180 oppsite of the people's whose first taste of Sw was TTT, and think Zahn is SW.

LOL. It reminds me of a poll in the Literature forum, a little while after the time when I joined up. It asked what peoples first Star Wars experience was. I think that about 10% said seeing it theatres back in the late 70?s to early 80?s was their first Star Wars experience, about 80% of the forum said it was the special editions or video that got them hooked, and about 10% said it was the Phantom Menace. I was one of only two or three people who started on Star Wars because of the EU (I?m still a bit of an oddity that way), and it was Truce at Bakura, not TTT, and I don?t think that Zahn is Star Wars, though I do prefer some of the EU to the movies (Starfighters of Adumar and Traitor come to mind). I?m about as close as I think you?re going to get to someone who thinks that way, and even I don?t quite meet all the criteria.

Anyhow, I just think that statements funny because you?re effectively saying ?our perception of the OT is 180 opposite of people that don?t really exist.? ;) :p

18. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Yes--the serious threads get buried by things like "Does anyone still think George Lucas is a genius?"

Those of us who enjoy talking about these sorts of things have to notify each other when threads start so we can bookmark them, and avoid getting into tussles. Yes, we could just ignore. We should. But no one's patience is limitless, and it's better to avoid the conflicts, so we don't look at the new listings (I just took all the movie boards back off my favorites last week because my temper was getting frayed); we just wait to be told about threads that might be interesting.

A new forum where it is only serious talk--good discussion, which can be lighthearted (lighthearted doesn't mean frivolous)--would give us a place that we could just put on our favorites, check into for new posts, and enjoy. It would also be a place to discuss the saga as a whole, rather than having the Classic, each individual prequel, and "Misc," which it's a bit hard to define or guess what's there.

19. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Creating a new forum for "serious talk" is effectively calling every post in the other forums spam.

20. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Oh goody, he's pulling out the whole "older Star Wars fans are better Star Wars fans!" argument. Which is crap.

Age nothing to do with anything. Especially as far as discussion boards go. You really think in a forum populated by only people over 25 there won't be any threads talking about how they want to Padme's underpants? Age has nothing to do with maturity as been proven many times over. I have met people on this board and other who were 16 and more mature and intelligent in this place then some 28 year olds. You want serious discussion? Here's a novel idea. The Senate. The Amphitheater.

I just don't see a 25 and over forum being any better then any other forum here.

21. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    From someone who is *cough*34*cough* I think that an over 25 forum would be too difficult to manage here. Honestly, these boards are populated by a majority of younger people and I'm not sure that the activity of such a forum would be justified.

The Geriatric Ward (the term "geriatric" is a joke for heaven's sake) has been a great place to meet other people who are older and I've become great friends with some of them.

If you would like more interaction with "older" folk, create some threads and/or visit the "Ward".

I'll agree to bring this up in the AC on the condition that Katya_Jade and I get to moderate it.

But if you decide to do one, I agree with Jim on this issue. ;)

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > You want serious discussion? Here's a novel idea. The Senate. The Amphitheater.

<ahem> AND the YCJJ. :)

Instead of bemoaning the lack of topics that interest you*, be proactive in creating some that do interest you.

PM your like-minded friends. Thell them about your thread. Keep it afloat. Attract other like-minded individuals to your thread(s). Make new friends, make new threads, and keep the cycle going.

The solution to your "problem" about too many threads that don't interest you is entirely in your hands...

* "you", in the general sense.

23. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Creating a new forum for "serious talk" is effectively calling every post in the other forums spam.

I don't think so. Does the existence of the Senate and the Amphitheater render the JCC spam? No. We'd have one forum to discuss SW as a whole with serious issues and none of the stuff that's driving people to distraction. And the others could go on as they have.

24. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    How much more are we going to divide up the JC? This is going to get to the point of each clique having their own board and that's really unnecessary.

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Does the existence of the Senate and the Amphitheater render the JCC spam? No.

[face_laugh]

Well, there are some amongst us who will beg to differ...

[image=http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/images/wormcan.gif]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.