Speculation Should there be gay characters in the ST?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by Jedi Mountain, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Mountain Jedi Youngling

This is an interesting question. There were no gay characters in the OT. Disney, which now is the parent company of Lucas Films, is generally thought of as conservative, "family-oriented entertainment". However, the screenwriter of Episode VII, Michael Arndt, is reported to be gay. And the current political climate has the country much more open to gay marriage in 2012 with President Obama's "evolution" on the issue. My question is this: is there room in the Star Wars universe for gay characters and it is that a good thing for the Disney universe? If so, then surely the ST will boldly go where no man (or woman) has gone before....
    Last edited by Jedi Mountain, Nov 12, 2012
  2. thesevegetables Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    There isn't anything wrong with gay people, but I don't think there will really be a point for having gayness in the plot. The plot never told us that Luke was straight, either. In short: DOESN'T REALLY MATTER. In Sex and the City, gayness actually contributes to the plot. We shouldn't have gay people simply FOR THE SAKE OF HAVING GAY PEOPLE, though.
  3. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 4
    I tried googling "gay jedi" for a picture response and didn't find anything but this is a cool photo anyway, hope it makes it into the movie!
    [IMG]
  4. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I agree. No "token gay people," but if it contributes to the plot for a character to be gay, then by all means, include the gay character.
  5. The Hellhammer 7SA Forum Interrogator

Game Host
    star 5
    First off "the country" you refer to is not the only country in the world and US political situation should in no way affect the coming script for a movie franchise that is loved all over the globe.

While I have nothing against homesexuals, I do not see how that fits into a new Star Wars movie. The romances in these movies have been rather simple and pretty straight to the point - except, of course, that Luke and Leia kiss, but that aside.
    I do not really see new SW movies as a platform for exploring these kinds of questions. It might be interesting to sometime go into that if they run out of ideas on the live action show, or something :p
    But to be honest I simply don't see how that could be in the movie and be relevant to the story itself, not just be there for the sake of a "currently hot topic" that is just shoved in.
  6. Uncle Owen Force Ghost

star 4
    So the Sith will be returning...
  7. Dranem Jedi Master

star 1
    C-3P0. /thread

Seriously though, I don't think there is a need for it but I wouldn't care personally. I'm not sure sexuality is a big part of the Star Wars mythos in that regards, its more about the general themes of love. Would it be neat to see? I think so, but they would have to handle it so carefully for a broader audience that it would seem watered down. There is still too big of a segment of the population that would make a bigger deal out of it than it needed to be in my opinion, and that's unfortunate.
    thesevegetables likes this.
  8. The-Eternal-Hero Force Ghost

star 4
    I have to agree. This issue has nothing to do with SW. Sexuality so far has been limited to Han and Leia flirting and the Ani / Padme romance. Star Trek is something that could explore sexuality but in SW it would seem out of place. Just casually having a gay romance, such as between Achilles and Patroclus or Alexander and Hephaistion, could work in something more remote & heroic, like KOTOR, but it would stand out like a sore thumb in a regular SW movie. Ultimately, SW doesn't really pry into what goes on in bedrooms, it's kind of a relief from a sexually obsessed society and gives the imagination other fantasies to imagine.
    Last edited by The-Eternal-Hero, Nov 12, 2012
  9. DarthBlanco Force Ghost

star 4
  10. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Hey, did Philip Wise approve of this thread?
    heels1785, RC-1991 and Point Given like this.
  11. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 4
  12. Jordan1Kenobi Host of EUC Battle of... Games

Game Host
    star 5
    No. There's no need to have any in the films.
    Last edited by Jordan1Kenobi, Nov 12, 2012
    Spazmatron likes this.
  13. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    I think they should just to force the issue in Comms.

... Wait, what?
  14. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
  15. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    As far as we know.
  16. StarWarsFan91 Force Ghost

star 4
  17. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    I'm not naming any names, but I am saying there's a large, muscular, hairy fellow who prefers the company of other men.
    SuperWatto likes this.
  18. Jedi Mountain Jedi Youngling

I agree with you. However, the ST will be primarily made by people who live in the USA. and I think that is relevant in the political climate in which we live. I am in no way making a judgment here. I am just curious if it would it make a difference to the Star Wars fanbase or the Disney fanbase if there are character(s) in Episode VII who are gay? I am not talking about a Gay Pride parade on Coruscant here, but perhaps subtle hints in scenes with certain characters in the upcoming script that may suggest something -- appropriately done for general audiences -- that would expand the Star Wars and/or Disney universes to make them more embraceable for gay audiences?
    Last edited by Jedi Mountain, Nov 12, 2012
  19. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    And had relations with Yoda. Good ones, too.
    Last edited by Arawn_Fenn, Nov 12, 2012
    thesevegetables likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost

star 4
    Oolah in Jabba's palace seemed like a girl who would be up for a good time.
    G-FETT and JediKnightOB1 like this.
  21. Point Given Mod of Literature and Community

Manager
    star 5
    Anything which makes me feel uncomfortable should not be allowed.
    darth fluffy, Contessa, Esg and 7 others like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval New Films Riot Deterrent

Manager
    star 7
    2 threads in 1! Darth Sidious will be back and he is teh gay...
    Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  23. LordMortis315 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    If it doesn't add to the story, I see no reason to include it.
  24. LilZua Jedi Padawan

There probably already are... I mean come on... all those Jedi forced not to.. you know.. You know at some point they compared lightsabers.
  25. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Donald Duck does not wear pants. This is frankly unacceptable.
    zarkinfrood and Yunners like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.