main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should there be more Galaxies novels?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by rogue_wookiee, Jul 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    As the title says. After reading the Ruins of Dantooine do you think that there should be more novels cantered around regular people instead of our heros and antagonists in the new contract?

2. ATimson

ATimson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 19, 2003
    On one hand, I want to say yes; I personally prefer novels along the lines of X-wing and MedStar to Yet Another Incompetent Warlord. But at the same time, I want to say no; the author before was constrained by the game of Galaxies, and had to make the novel seem like it could have been a mission in the game. I personally don't like constraints like that, and feel that novels should be able to use the whole of the universe.

3. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    I personally found the concept good. Having it on a regular person instead of the heros and antagoists was nice. But it was fairly poorly written. There was one thing I was extatic over though. The return of Nym. I had no idea what happened to him after Jedi Starfighter and I was glad to see he made it through the Clone Wars. I wonder if they will have a Clone Starfighter game for Ep. III? But it would be really late.

4. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Novels about smaller events and new or less well-known characters? Yes. With the Galaxies subtitle? I don't really care, as long as they're not as badly written as Dantooine?

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd certainly want to see a continuation of the two main characters + Nym. The book overall was so-so, but the biologist approach gave an interesting perspective,and I liked the adventure-style of the book, so I would like to see that carry over to any sequels.

6. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    One of the things I enjoyed about Galaxies (when my 14 day trial was still working) was just the experience of wandering around, visiting sites from the books, and just living the life of a normal guy. But that wouldn't translate well to a book. It'd get boring fast.

Still more ordinary people in big events stories will be good. Some more battles, big Hoth-style battles, in the Civil War era would be good. Not featuring the big three.

7. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I think there should be anthor story because the story wasn't quite finished with Finn and Dusque and it wasn't that bad of a book. The Crystal Star was much worse.

8. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    yes, i am the only person who really enjoyed Ruins of Dantooine and thought it was a great book, i do wish they would make a new Galaxies book based on the main characters of the old book, but with normal Starwars adult novel faunt and slightly longer, and GOOD coverart NO SCREENSHOT, and for the Nym comment, he is a character in Starwars galaxies, (i earned Nyms Badge of Honor in the game, as well as Jabba's Badge of Trust, yay bragging)

9. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Rebel Scum your not the only one who enjoyed this book. I liked it too.

10. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    I definately liked the book, and would love to see the story continued. Seeing Nym was a big blast for me, since I loved the character, as introduced to me in the Starfighter Comics. I'd love to see him come back into action, especially against the Empire.

I would love for the events in the book to be bigger in scope as well. Something alot more important to the entire SW story.

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    yeah, anything with Nym would be worth reading- he's just a fun character, and probably the most important EU character of the PT next to Quinlan, given his accomplishments.

12. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
    >>>Novels about smaller events and new or less well-known characters? Yes. With the Galaxies subtitle? I don't really care, as long as they're not as badly written as Dantooine? <<<

To each his own. I myself thouroughly enjoyed it!

13. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    They should write a series, or triolgy or something about one of the little guys, start in the cival war and end in the NJO the life and eath of some dude we can all relate to.

14. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    The Feeorin Nym from the games?

Say, is Galaxies-class stuff official continuity the way they bunny hell had to make GODV? Just wondering.

15. rogue_wookiee

Apr 24, 2004
    The Feeorin Nym from the games?

The one and only.

Say, is Galaxies-class stuff official continuity the way they bunny hell had to make GODV? Just wondering.

Yes. But GODV is much much worse than Galaxies. It wasn't bad it was just different.

16. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    As the LFL editors put it, the back story that leads up to every galaxies servor's day 1 is continuity (as are stories written for the game by the developers that serve as adventures for the players).

Anything that goes on beyond those things and are controlled by the players are not, such as player made cities (though oddly either the writer of ruins of dantooine didn't know a certain city was player made, or decided to toss it in as an easter egg, either way it became continuity).

"As a general rule, the starting stage of the Galaxies is continuity. So yes Biggs has a sister named Dera and Palpatine has a base on Naboo. Anything else that happens after the initial setup is out of continuity; there are no parallel universes. The starting points of the story events can be considered continuity, but their outcomes are not."

-Leland Chee, starwars.com VIP thread

So yes the "Galaxies" title on Ruins of Dantooine is a misnomer as there are no parallel galaxies in the book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.