main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should there be nebulas, black holes, planets with different gravity/atmospheres, etc.?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    One of the things that the previous 6 episodes didn't fully take advantage of is its setting.

The OT was slightly better at this than the PT, by showing asteroid fields and gas planets, but there's so much more to space.

Will we see supernovas? Nebulas? The effects of a black hole (perhaps an unsuspecting Starfleet is lured into a black hole as a battle strategy)?

How about red stars? Blue stars? Orange stars? White stars? Giant stars? Smaller stars? More binary stars?

Will we visit planets that have very low gravity, like Earth's moon? Or very high gravity?

Will we see planets where the atmosphere is not breathable for humans, that requires them to wear oxygen-masks? Or no atmosphere at all, where the stars at night truly illuminate the sky?

I hope we see all of this and more, it's time for Star Wars to fully take advantage of its setting!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The only thing I see as "not very Star Warsy" is anything that requires more than a short sentence of explanation of how it works. I.E. something like "Hang on, gravity gets tricky here" would work for Star Wars. But something like "We're now entering the Blargoblarg Nebula. The cloud of ionized gases renders Midichlorians and the Force completely inert" sounds way too much like a Star Trek plot.

3. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
  4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Nebulas, Blackholes and the rest are needed. I expect good things to be had in the ST.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    One thing Star Wars is good at is showing, not telling. For example, Palpatine = Sidious in TPM. Therefore, if how something works can be shown, go for it.

kainee and Grimby like this.
  6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    lol, I can't even make up words anymore without them already existing somewhere. :p

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why would a nebula need to be explained? If explained at all, say it's a dying star. But I would be happy with more astronomical diversity just being shown, even if it's not commented upon at all.

8. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I totally agree with being shown things like nebulas. But if they somehow become part of the plot, I don't want it to feel like a Star Trek episode.

Ryus, kainee, Echo Base and 5 others like this.
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Since this is STAR Wars, dying stars could be interesting.
    Agreed. In Star Wars, sci-fi is the setting, not the plot.

SkywalkerSquadron likes this.
  10. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    As well as a good metaphor, perhaps about the Big Three.

Totally agree. Mostly I just want more diversity. Show a space battle where part of one side gets too close to a black hole. Show Jedi versus Sith on some no-oxygen, low-gravity planetoid, under a beautiful night sky. Show us stars that aren't yellow, or might be bigger or smaller than our sun. Just need more visual diversity, we have a whole galaxy and its potential has barely been tapped.

11. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Man you just fired off every spacegeek neuron possible inside of me. Lets see, I recognize Eta Carinae, Eagle Nebula, Orion Nebula, Horsehead Nebula, Cat's Eye Nebula, a black hole or newborn star, Eta Carinae again showing a newborn star firing a sweet jet laterally from it's cocoon, Trifid Nebula, nice uploads man! Personally I would love to see some things like that in the movie, imagined from scratch, like supernova remnants, gamma ray burst, black holes. neutron stars and the like. :cool:

Ryus, VanishingReality, Sarge and 2 others like this.
  12. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Doubt it. Space is full of weird stuff that has not been part of Star Wars and I think it will stay the same way. For example, Coruscant is supposed to be in the core of the galaxy where realistically speaking the starfield should look extremely busy with stars everywhere but instead it looks just as evenly spaced and random as it appears in all other planets. We have never seen nebulas or other galaxies in the background and the stars all look the same size and color and they all move in unison when flying through space instead of the more realistic, Star Trek like, appearance of streaks as closer stars zoom by while others stay motionless in the background representing far away stars. Supernovas are the only weird space stuff that's ever been mentioned in the saga and didn't even make an appearance on screen. I guess it is possible that things change a little but I don't see things as weird as gravitational or space-time continuum disturbances being included in the ST. That is Star Trek territory.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Finally the "wars" part of the series will actually be a conflict between the "star" part of the series.

14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Would love to see a bit more variety in the appearance of space.
    But then again, space is a very, very, very big and, from what I gather, a very, very, very dull place for the most part.
    Would be great eye candy though.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Sure, I'd love a more exotic looking scene in space. I'm reminded of the scene in Titan A.E. where they fly through the Andali Nebula and I think a scene like that would work wonderfully in SW.

16. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    It's hard to visualize that stuff without having to stop and explain to the audience what they're looking at. And since SW isn't driven by that kind of stuff it wouldn't serve any real story purpose. I think it's best to just stick to the "earth like fantasy planets" model.

kainee and Pfluegermeister like this.
  17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why would it need to be explained? It's just good for some diversity and eye-candy, and being a little more realistic.

BowtiesAreCool and Echo Base like this.
  18. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    Wouldn't mind seeing something like nebula in the distance...or even a chase through one. Or maybe we can get something like the Maw Cluster.

Echo Base likes this.
  19. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    Here's one that will blow your mind! Time travel! Say Han did leave with his reward in episode IV only to fine out that Luke gets killed by Vader and the Rebellion ends with a final blow by the Death Star. Consequently, the universe goes to crap afterward. Now in Episode VII, Han and Chewie through the help of some New Energy Device manage to travel back in time to aide Luke with his famous shot on the tie fighters in the trenches during Lukes final shot on the death star, as we all well know. :cool:

20. jedinightwing

Aug 4, 2009
    I always figured that he was loading up his reward (not credits something more real) in the hangar scene with Luke in ANH.
    Also always figured he probably blew what he owed repairing the Falcon.

seriously. you try a U turn while traveling through hyperspace.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  21. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I hate to burst your bubble, but nebulae and other colorful space phenomena are typically only visible through the Hubble telescope and not with the naked eye.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We are talking about the franchise that gives us fire and sound in space. Visible nebulae would seem like Stephen Hawkings level logic in comparison.

Ryus, kainee, my kind of scum and 6 others like this.
  23. SithLordPat

SithLordPat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    Yeah. I'm glad someone mentioned that. This is a lot of photoshop magic. You can't see this wonderful magic in space. It's a lot of nothing.

24. jedinightwing

Aug 4, 2009
    yes but it's science fiction. just make it look like a cloud or fog. Thats what most people assume they look like anyways. Most people I've talked this stuff with couldn't grasp the whole "hubble telescope adds color filters after the fact. initial shots are b&w infrared".

Theo333, Ryus and Sarge like this.
  25. jedinightwing

Aug 4, 2009
    *accidental double post*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.