main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should there be nebulas, black holes, planets with different gravity/atmospheres, etc.?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    As a side note, the AOTC chase took place inside Geonosis' rings, not in an asteroid belt. This has some importance to the plot; a relatively mediocre pilot like Obi-Wan can fly through the planetary rings with relative ease, yet an expert pilot like Han Solo has considerable difficulty maneuvering the asteroid field (while C-3PO yells about the odds of succesfully navigating an asteroid field). This is because planetary rings are relatively stable, while asteroid fields are very volatile--and not just in th Stat Wars universe, but also in real life.

(I asked about this on the IMDb after AOTC was released (back when I stll posted there), and somebody kindly explained the above to me, complete with references to articles in astrophysics journals. Unfortunately I didn't save those references.)

2. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012

Well I don't get caught up in specifics. As others have mentioned, this is Star Wars not Star Trek. :) I was just trying to point out that the more the movies reflect each other while at the same time adding something new, the better they are. There are certain beats and recalls that every Star Wars film needs to take, IMHO.

If you really want to get nitpicky, asteroid belts are not cluttered with tightly coupled rocks as the films portray them:

http://cde.nwc.edu/SCI2108/course_documents/solar_system/asteroids/asteroids.htm

Count Yubnub likes this.
  3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Star Wars has already done this in Revenge of the Sith... Luke and Leia were born on a Base on the surface of an Asteroid in the middle of an Asteroid belt.

[​IMG]

4. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Yes, true but that is a bit different from hollowing out an asteroid and turning it into a huge hangar which was McQuarrie's idea.

5. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Well... unlike the AOTC planetary ring chase, that is kind of inconsistent with the way asteroid fields were portrayed in ESB. Oh well.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    New upcoming dvd/blu ray release of ESB...

Leia: You're not going into an asteroid field... I was born here, you know...
    Han: Sit tight, sweetheart... you're going to die here, you know...

7. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Didn't know all asteroid fields were alike. Also, didn't Han go closer to a big one because of it's stability?

8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think it was either the stability or the greater chances of it having good places to hide.

darklordoftech likes this.
  9. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    We did see in the Clone Wars a planet with an orange sky, which was Abafar.

I guess it could work.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    A gas giant is a place we haven't really explored yet. I know we had Bespin but we never really dived into the atmosphere. There is a small risk here is that JJ might be accused of rehashing his previous ideas, since he had the Enterprise rise out of Titan's gases in his first Trek film but I am thinking more in terms of the wonderful descriptions of alien creatures gliding at different levels of Jupiter's atmosphere in Arthur C. Clarke's 2061: Odyssey Three.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I never read 2061, but I remember a short story, pretty sure it was written by Clarke, about a balloon probe in Jupiter's atmosphere. The title may have been Meeting with Medusa. It's probably been 30 years since I read that.

12. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I want to see some different planets and newer races.

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Mediocre pilot? Really? If anything, Obi-Wan showed us that he was very good pilot. He just didn't like flying.

14. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012

Well, "mediocre" was kind of overstating my case, sure.

Immortiss likes this.
  15. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I want to see things that we have not seen in the other films. Something that is fantastic.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Black holes have been done before by Disney- how about neutron stars?

Ryus and Circular Logic like this.
  17. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Space shipyards would definitely look fantastic. I mean, all those massive warships and transports would likely to be assembled in space, rather than on the surface. Imagine the sight!

TKT, Loupgarou, Ryus and 1 other person like this.
  18. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    This! Used universe to the next level, and an amazing platform for easter eggs which I'm sure the lot of you would be psyched about.

Loupgarou likes this.
  19. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Visually I'm ok with it, but not plot points. Also no gravity issues. Physics and science didn't apply to ESB when they walked around the asteroid worms stomach with just a mask on, not to mention I doubt the asteroid had enough mass to have perfect "earth like" gravity. Remember Star Wars is more of a fairy tale than a science based story.

I agree with the folks here that say "the science is more of a Star Trek thing". I know, the PT haters will bring up midiclorians, so lets not make it worse by bringing up how come lightsabers don't pass through each other? Or black holes or worm holes or science topics.

I like the idea of "space back drops", but science research is best left to Star Trek.

Pfluegermeister and Count Yubnub like this.
  20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    How about this in the total opposite direction of unique objects in space to photshop into the background, a totally black background against a ship orbiting a planet. Then the ship flies into the planets shadow and the stars then become visible... but with no one in the scene explaining it and the plot just moving forward.

21. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Can we just take a moment to remember that we're talking about movies that portray sound in space and solid state lasers which self-terminate at a meter's length? Any more than the most minuscule amount of scientific realism would diminish the fantasy aspects of Star Wars which set it apart from true science fiction. I'd have no problem with using the pretty colors of a nebula as a backdrop, but beyond that, I say leave it all out.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    *See: Page One* :p

23. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Agreed. Plus, I for one would like it to be internally consistent.

24. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    There was a rumour the other day about New Mexico being used as a location, possibly as a substitute for Tunisia for the Tatooine scenes. Honestly, I hope this isn't the case. American deserts have been used so often in science fiction in the past, from b-schlock of the 1950s, through to television Trek, through to recent (failed) blockbusters like John Carter and, as a non-American, I can say that these environments we see over and over again never feel remotely alien or exotic to me.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  25. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    Sarge and Count Yubnub like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.